mtbr member

Thinking about a new bike

I am currently riding a 2009 Specialized FSR XC comp I purchased as a leftover in 2010. Itís far from its original state. Itís got Chris king/mavic wheels, sealed ceramic bearing bottom bracket, Chris king head set, 1x10 shimano XT drivetrain with one up cheater ring, Fox shock, etc, etc, etc. I ride Alafia and Boyette in Florida which I guess can be described as a little bit heavier than your normal cross country stuff. I donít ride a bunch but try to do 1 to 2 trips a week. I donít charge super hard but I would describe myself as an advanced rider. I donít ride the super difficult stuff because if I fall and injure myself I am screwed in my line of work. I like my current bicycle and it has treated me well but I have urged to move on. I have my eye on the 2018 giant anthem 2.

Am I crazy? Itís almost $2700 but Iíll use it regularly and hopefully for a long time to come. Also, being 5Ď9ď and 212 pounds (Iím in the middle of losing about 60 pounds) should I be looking at a small or medium frame? Am I going to be happy stepping up to the 27 1/2 inch wheel or should I look for a 29 inch?

mtbr member
    Everybody and their riding are different. For you, my general recommendation would be medium and either 27.5+ or 29. Level's of bikes I favor start around $4k, so $2700 might be crazy cheap.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Ah, those first tender days of choosing and beginning a relationship with a new bike. I'm gonna agree with the Lone Rager on the medium size, but the price is so subjective. The more you spend, the more guilt you may feel if you don't ride, so yes, spend all you can afford.

mtbr member
    Hard to say without seeing but at 5'9" You should be much better suited on a Medium. I wouldn't worry about price so much if you know you'll be getting your usage out of it

mtbr member
    Do a little math , $2700. divided by miles ridden of by days ridden a year. $2700. divided by 2700 miles is a dollar a mile ,cheap.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'11" and personally find an XC 29" a little more comfortable for every day riding. I also have a 27.5 with 150mm front and rear which I use for rough stuff and occasionally take to the bike park. At 5'9" I think you would probably appreciate aspects of both wheel sizes. However if you tend to do more long distance riding on tame single track I would recommend a 29er. That being said, bikes now a days are worlds more ahead in terms of geometry and feel compared to a bike from 2009. You will definitely notice an improvement "if" you choose the right bike. IMO, the Giant Anthem isn't one of the bikes I would include in that list.