Ride Instigator

These guys at work gonna' think I'm NUTS!

It's 10 deg out and I'm going to waltz outta' here in about an hour in riding clothes. I'm working near a really fun trail system today and I MUST take advantage of the location!

dwt
    mtbr member
    What do you mean "think"?
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

aka greyranger
    I dont work with you and I think you are nuts, but not as bad as a roadride. Enjoy.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I think anyone who's riding in 10*f weather is nuts if they are riding road. Hitting the trails is another matter. Perfectly good for riding infact, although it's about the coldest I'd consider going out in.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Ride Instigator
    Nope, not road, just some sweet rolling singletrack in a densly wooded area to knock the wind down. I rode 1.5 hrs til I decided to call it, it was 8F when I finished up.

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by redranger View Post
    I dont work with you and I think you are nuts, but not as bad as a roadride. Enjoy.
    Aww you don't know what you're missing Mark No effing way you'd get me on the roadie bike in that kinda' cold, I'm not THAT fanatical. I was working in Bloomington today and just has to have me some while I was in the area, hadn't ridden Comlara since last summer...and it was about 80 degrees warmer then it was today.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    40 deg is the coldest i'll go to step outside the house for more than a minute. I'll stick w/ a car at that temperature. Hope you have a heated seat because my honda pilot does.

mtbr member
    Thats not nuts, it just shows that you truly have passion. I rode today when my riding buddies said no friggen way. It was 15 degrees not including the wind chill.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    That's too cold for my liking lol, but hey more power to you

Ride Instigator
    I don't get a chance to ride that trail system very often and I was right in the area working that day so I had to go for it. The fact is, I don't have anything better to do when I'm out of town working so I might as well sneak a ride in whenever the opportunity presents itself. Now that I think of it, that was probably the coldest night ride I've ever done so I set a personal record too!

AZ
    banned
    I'll ride in temps that cold but the ground sure is hard when its that cold.

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    I'll ride in temps that cold but the ground sure is hard when its that cold.
    Yep, that ground is like concrete...really LUMPY concrete...and that'd HURT!

Elitest thrill junkie
    -11F is the coldest I've run in this winter so far. I sure as hell ain't going to ride in that weather.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Not nuts, good trails need to be ridden! This week I have 3 road rides at 14deg or below. Friday snow and 16 deg, gonna be a great day to hit the mtb! I say go for it man!

mtbr member
    Always look on the bright side - at least you won't be sweaty when you get to work right?

mtbr member
    I've been commuting to work in the early am for the last month. I've had a few high 20's, the fortunate thing is that I'm in such bad shape that by the time I get to the end of my street, I'm hot as hell
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

turtles make me hot
    Cold weather riding is awesome. The trails firm up nice. As long as you're dressed properly, you're fine. And absolutely true about the trees knocking down the wind. I hate riding in open expanses.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    It doesn't get nuts going for a ride until it is -20. -40 like our friends in Fairbanks AK often ride in is beyond nuts. 10F is balmy - shorts weather my friend. Good on ya for getting out there!

My coldest ride so far this winter: -13.5 F. Excellent beardcycles that day!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    30deg F is about where it stops being fun....however the 50 overcast/windy and then getting rained on wasn't much fun either.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

10 degree ride

GO FOR IT! Life is too short to not live it to the fullest. I got out today on my day off (the 24th) for the first time riding a trail here in Georgia. I am a newbie and today's trail kicked my butt. Gonna return for another ride next Monday at Yellow River bike trail in Stoned Mountain Georgia. Happy Trails!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Got in near two hours of trail riding today, temp was 12F when I started. Then came home and worked more on insulating my un-insulated garage. About half done...

Then rode in to work, about 10F.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by blockphi View Post
    It doesn't get nuts going for a ride until it is -20. -40 like our friends in Fairbanks AK often ride in is beyond nuts. 10F is balmy - shorts weather my friend. Good on ya for getting out there!

My coldest ride so far this winter: -13.5 F. Excellent beardcycles that day!
    Yeah but...that's a DRY cold

I'm looking forward to Saturday, it's going to be a balmy +25F but sunny...haveta' get out there early before it gets sloppy!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I have been having the hardest time getting my butt out of the house to ride in this cold weather. I want to - but as soon as I open the front door my resolve goes to crap. Ugh!
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    I have been having the hardest time getting my butt out of the house to ride in this cold weather. I want to - but as soon as I open the front door my resolve goes to crap. Ugh!
    You just have to throw your riding clothes on and run out of t house quickly before you have a chance to talk yourself out of it. I always have that problem at summers end when it starts to cool off. I sit out for a week or two and finally get out when it's in the 50s and gradually acclimate into the 40s, 30s, 20s and lower. I had the road bike out last night and it was about 25F...kinda refreshing actually.