mtbr member

Is there a such a bike - Road bike with 29er and front shock.

Just wondering if there is a road bike that has 29er with front shock and disc brake?

I know this would be something like 29er hybrid but I have not seen or heard of any brand.

Regards

mtbr member
    What features of a road bike do you want to retain? Nearly all road bikes are 29ers, just called 700c in the road world. Its the geometry of the frame that makes a road bike a road bike, a suspension fork would really change that geometry and just make it a mountain bike.

You can install drop bars on a 29er if thats what you're trying to achieve.

mtbr member
    Thank you for that OP.
    My riding style is somewhat long distance. Touring and little bit of off road.
    If you know little bit of Tasmania (Australia), I do bike touring holiday.
    For that I have Hybrid bike with disc brake and front shock.
    This bike is 2011 and when I was buying it, there was no hybrid with 29er/700c, just 26. And now I really do wish one with 29er.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Check out the Salsa Warbird and Fargo. Neither has a suspension fork, but I bet that wouldn't be too difficult to put on.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    When you say long distance touring, are you riding on sealed or unsealed roads? (do you need a frame with lots of tyre clearance?) Also, do you really need front suspension?

The reason I ask is that there are quite a few bikes that I'd consider fairly suitable for what I'd imagine you're doing-Singular Gryphon, Salsa Fargo, maybe a Surly long haul trucker (and I'm sure there are others that I've forgotten). All are 29ers which can run drop bars, so you get lots of hand positions which would be good for touring, and they have varying degrees of tyre clearance so you can run slicks on tarmac and something with more tread on the gravel or on trail. They are all rigid (and I'm fairly sure are also not suspension corrected) which may rule them out for you.

If you decide you need a suspension fork but want more hand positions than a normal flat bar for touring you could get a hardtail 29er and put some alt bars on it (or drop bars as One Pivot has suggested). I've used the Jones Loop bars and would consider them for a touring application because they have lots of comfortable hand positions. They would probably be easier to fit to a relatively normal mountain bike than drop bars-a lot of guys that do that seem to end up running lots of spacers under the stem or a very high rise stem or both.

mtbr member
    Cannondale used to make one, the Silk Road; it had 1/2" of travel but finding one will be a challenge.

Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 04-16-2013 at 11:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Other than the disk brakes, there are lots of bikes like that out there.
    The problem you are going to run into is that most hybrids are cheap bikes - heavy and poor components.
    Any decent suspension fork that doesn't weigh a ton is going to be way overkill for a road bike.
    I've found that a steel frame and fork and cushy tires do a better job of soaking up vibration and small irregularities than a fork.
    It would be a great opportunity to build up a bike the way you want.
    I bought a touring bike with a tweaked frame for next to nothing for the components.
    Then bought a OnOne Inbred 29er frame. It comes with rack mounts. If you look at the Surly and Salsa forks there are many options. Rack mounts, even water bottle cage mounts.
    Used OnOne Midge bars, the donor bike components, and a cheap set of 700C wheels with disk mounts. A set of BB7 disk brakes from HongKong off Ebay was cheap.
    And even better, I can put 29er wheels and tires on it for the rough stuff.

mtbr member
    Seconds on what the others said.
    Road bikes are just starting to get disk brakes but not many have shocks/suspension as you really don't see that necessity with road as the frame should absorb the small bumps and the tires will make a difference off road/gravel/poor asphalt(23s won't do much but 35s will, etc). And yes, 700c is 29er. Everything old is new again, so to speak
    I just bought a new road/tourer(Salsa Casseroll) but disks for me weren't on the shopping list BUT the other bike in contention was a Salsa Colossal which does have disks and is road based with a carbon fork. Nice parts. Nice bike and steel will absorb the road like you'd like, along with having 28s for a bit more cush.

Your Best Friend
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Have you checked out Volagi? Supposed to do pretty much what you are looking for but no suspension fork.

mtbr member
    Second the Salsa Fargo recommendation.

Tons of people tour on Karate Monkeys as well, it'll just be harder to set up for drop bars.

mtbr member
    Jees....I didn't think there would be this many people interested.
    I though I would be the only crazy weirdo...

But I honestly appreciate your ideas and thoughts.

Now I have heard and seen those brands....it will keep me going for years...
    That "Salsa Fargo 2"...I believe I have spotted my mark...finding one in Aust. that would be challenging...and turning into front shock is another question....

Regards

I ride an On-One Pompetamine. It's a road bike, but is disc-brake only, will fit larger tires (I have a set of 38's I can use, but usually use 32's with full fenders). I have On-One Mungo mustache bars on mine, but it can be set up with drops (or purchased complete with drops). I actually put mtb wheels on it so it can actually be ridden on trails. Just nothing too crazy. It's still got road bike geometry.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Interesting!

mtbr member
    Hey...NateHawk....
    Would it be possible to upload the photo of your bike...greatly appropriated...

Regards

mtbr member
    Fargo is suspension corrected for a 100mm fork IIRC. Would really be the best bet given your requirements. The first gen Fargos were non suspension corrected and designed around a short (440mm A-C) rigid fork that made for a shorter wheelbase and quicker handling but people wanted suspension so Salsa redesigned the bike.

mtbr member
    I'm searching this Salsa Fargo (suspension corrected) but just cannot fine one.

Quote Originally Posted by pingmonster View Post
    Hey...NateHawk....
    Would it be possible to upload the photo of your bike...greatly appropriated...

Regards
    In fender mode:

DSCN2682

in fat tire mode:

On-One Pompetamine

mtbr member
    May 2006

Re: Is there a such a bike - Road bike with 29er and front shock.

Trek 8.5ds

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 2
    http://Theclydeblog.org Big guy cycling product tester

mtbr member
    Hummm.....Fascinating.

Greatly Appreciated. NateHawk.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    FYI, CRC has what looks like the perfect front shock for you on sale - aluminum steerer and stanchions.
    Marzocchi TXC Trekking 2 2010 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com