Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    I'll take you there.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    367

    Is there a durable, Power Grips compatible pedal out there?

    I posted this in the Clyde forum section, but I guess it does not have as much exposure as the general section to give some more diverse suggestions, because so few people dont ride things other than big platform or clip-less now-a-days. But I am really fighting the need to jump to clipless, mostly because its so hard for me to find comfortable shoes, I'm a bigfoot, size 13. Wide. And things have worked out so well with these Power Grips.. but I'm in a bit of a bind.

    My standard wellgo pedals on my '08 Haro Escape Sport have begun to creek very loudly and frequently.. they are not made with screws but rather with some kind of soft metal rivet that got loose from all my pounding and the cage now makes a loud rapid creeking noise when pressure is applied. My LBS is refunding them for me, through Haro, and I have to use the $$ to buy a new set. I need something good and durable.

    Heres the trick, I cant get the Crank Bros 50/50 style pedals because I ride using Power Grips.

    So both ends of the pedal need to be flat-ish, not angled. I have hella legs and put hella torque on my pedals, so if you guys know of anything really solid, I'd like to know before I take my LBS recommendation of the WTB Momentum pedal set, which did not fare well in mtbr.com reviews because the cage apparently deforms.

    For those who have never seen power grips, this is what they look like:



    Any help is appreciated. I love my Power Grips and just need something durable and compatible.

    Right now, I'm looking to see if certain pedals that are beefier are compatible. Like: the Wellgo LU-953 pictured here:



    I am also wondering if the Wellgo WAM-B25 is small enough to be mounted with the grips. Here is the pic.


  2. #2
    Yo.
    Reputation: Slow Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    465
    Search the 'bay for bmx pedals - odyssey triple traps and the like. Also older shimano/suntour platforms. The one in the power grips diagram is called the low fat and was sold by sr/sakae, also by tioga as the surefoot. For a modern pedal, you can look at touring/cyclocross versions by mikashima (mks). If it will accept toe clips or has reflectors on it, you should be able to fit the feet belts. Good hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

  3. #3
    I'll take you there.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie
    Search the 'bay for bmx pedals - odyssey triple traps and the like. Also older shimano/suntour platforms. The one in the power grips diagram is called the low fat and was sold by sr/sakae, also by tioga as the surefoot. For a modern pedal, you can look at touring/cyclocross versions by mikashima (mks). If it will accept toe clips or has reflectors on it, you should be able to fit the feet belts. Good hunting.
    Looking up the MKS pedals, they look like they will fit, but their cage is thin, and I'm a 306 # Clyde... also looked up the odyssey triple traps, and theres not enough room behind the cage for the Power Grips screws.

    Took your advice and tried to 'bay some old school shimano / suntour platforms... all auction style with prices..ummm... scary, for used items.

    I really wanted to know if you thought the two pedals I pictured above would be compatible or not... the Wellgo LU-953 or the Wellgo WAM-B25
    Be excellent to each other.

  4. #4
    Yo.
    Reputation: Slow Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    465
    Yeah, the old stuff does have a pretty steep price tag - blame all those period-correct restorers on the VRC forum.

    And I agree that as a Clyde, the MKS pedals might not fill the bill. I thought I that you could get a nut between the 2 inner plates of the triple trap, but getting a bolt of the right length (not too long, not too short) would be more trouble than it's worth. My bad.

    Anyway, it looks like either of those Wellgo pedals should work out fine - appropriate toe-clip/reflector holes on both.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

  5. #5
    I'll take you there.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie
    Yeah, the old stuff does have a pretty steep price tag - blame all those period-correct restorers on the VRC forum.

    And I agree that as a Clyde, the MKS pedals might not fill the bill. I thought I that you could get a nut between the 2 inner plates of the triple trap, but getting a bolt of the right length (not too long, not too short) would be more trouble than it's worth. My bad.

    Anyway, it looks like either of those Wellgo pedals should work out fine - appropriate toe-clip/reflector holes on both.
    The only thing I'm concerned about with those, is that theyre wider than the normal bear traps used to mount them, and I'm already maxing out the Power Grips length, I was just debating if theyre only bigger by a bit small enough to ignore the slight power grips shortening.
    Be excellent to each other.

  6. #6
    Yo.
    Reputation: Slow Eddie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    465
    I guess that would depend on how much wider (front-to-back, I'm assuming you mean) they are than your old pedals.

    If you're not running them already, there are extra-long Power Grips out there, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I am a poser. But forums.poser.com doesn't seem to exist, so I come here instead.

  7. #7
    I'll take you there.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow Eddie
    I guess that would depend on how much wider (front-to-back, I'm assuming you mean) they are than your old pedals.

    If you're not running them already, there are extra-long Power Grips out there, too.
    Dude, you're awesome, I didnt know those existed.. that just removed my worries right there.

    I'm gonna try and buy the Wellgo WAM-B25... my LBS cant find them in their catalog, but I'll still try and find them.
    Be excellent to each other.

  8. #8
    Stay thirsty my friends
    Reputation: 4JawChuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    887
    I have size 13 feet and use Lake clipless shoes, they are wider than the other brands and are inexpensive as well. I don't know how you can stand those ancient straps, clipless is so much better.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •