Thread: Thanks COBRA

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Thanks COBRA

Only been riding semi-seriously for a short time. When I found out that COBRA was holding free skills clinics at Malibu Creek SP once a month, I made sure to keep that next clinic on my calendar. It was a little far for me to drive, but I figured it would be worth it to work on some skills and meet some other riders.

So this morning I got up early, went over the checklist on the COBRA site and made sure I was ready to go. The sitter showed up, gave her some cash to get the kids pizza, printed out the directions and was off.

The directions and timing were perfect. At 8:35, I pulled in to the park with plenty of time to park and make the 8:45 cutoff for sign-in and bike inspection. When I stopped at the ranger shack, the girl there I was looking for the bike clinic and she smiled and said, "You're in the right place. It's $12 to park." Huh. Didn't say anything about parking fees on the COBRA website or directions. Oh well. So I went to hand her my credit card and was told "We only accept cash and checks." Dammit. I gave the baby sitter my cash and I didn't think to bring my checkbook to a FREE skills clinic.

The girl then said, "You can park outside and ride in." Cool. If I'm quick, I can still make it. Guess what? That area is popular on the weekends and the safe parking near the SP filled up long before I got there. By the time I found a spot about 1.5 miles away from the park entrance, it was 9:00am. Missed the cutoff for the sign-in and inspections and it would still take me 15 min to get my bike and gear out and get to the class. At that point, I decided that I didn't want to be that inconsiderate guy that shows up late and stops the show for everyone else. I went back home and rode the same old stuff.

So thanks COBRA. By omitting that one little fact that parking at your free bike skills clinic costs $12 cash or check only, you wasted my gas, my time, and the first Saturday morning I had to myself in two months.

At least my kids enjoyed their pizza.

mtbr member
    You're nuts. Anyone that's ever been to a state park, national park, etc. knows to bring a few bucks CASH to get in. You don't go out into the middle of nowhere without a few bucks cash. The world doesn't run on Visa guy. You didn't use your brain and consider this obvious fact. Now you're trashing an organization that uses their time to do a free service to the community? Why the hell should they be responsible for filling you in on the policies of the SP anyway? You clearly knew it was a SP as it's in the name. Their job is to teach the free clinic not help run the park. Next time think ahead, use common sense, and quit talking $hit.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    SP in Texas take credit. So not every state is still living in 1940 with cash or checks only
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    hey Noob,
    I'm sorry you had such a bad experiance at the Skills Clinic. You gave up too soon and you should have continued and joined the group late, I took about 8 noobs in February and yes we had a couple straglers, no problem. Also I'm surprized that the booth didnt point you over to the credit card machine just 20 feet inside from the booth! When I was there there the booth was uattended until after 9:00 am, and half the clinic didn't pay fees, The Park people never cited anyone they were very low key and never threatened to ticket any non paying parkers.

I know you were dissapointed,but to blame CORBA was in poor taste,
    Buck up and come back and take the course, it is so worth it, Mark Langston and staff are very patient and excellent teachers. This is Clinic is worth taking several times, I have taken it twice and learned a lot the second time.
    BTW, check out my AVATAR, that is me at the clinic, photos are taken free, and posted up on the website,!
    Yours,
    Wayne

Bro Mountainbiker
    You are a d0uche. You were late to the party and you were also broke.

Noone cares.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thanks for the responses.

@Mr. Blonde - I've never spent time in the state parks, and until now, never had to pay to park at a trail head. It is a beginner clinic, which may hint that some of us are new to the game. The common sense that you speak of would dictate that a class advert directed at beginners would include the fees that are required to followed their parking directions. And why wouldn't I go into the middle of nowhere without more than $10 on me? It's the middle of nowhere! What am I going to spend money on? Stop at the souvenir shop? Or maybe I'll need to tip the rescue chopper pilot. And yes, most of the world does run on Visa, with the exception of donut shops, panhandlers and California state parks apparently.

@FNG In hindsight maybe I should have tried to join the group late, but the COBRA site was pretty specific. It said "Please arrive no later than 8:45 am to sign in and have your bike checked." That sort of tells me that they don't want people rolling in late. Why else would they put that on the site unless people showing up late does/would cause problems? I have no doubt that the clinic is worth it, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with the 40 mile drive. But the clinic is sponsored by COBRA and advertised on the COBRA website. They are pretty much responsible for the content on their site.

@sheep Yeah, I may be a ******, but I sucked you in to commenting on a post you claim no one (two words btw) cares about. How much of a sucker does that make you?

I'll admit that I was pissed when I posted this, but I stand by my statement and won't apologize. I have no doubt that Mark Langston and their staff put on a good clinic, nor do I doubt the good things that COBRA does for the mtb community. But they go so far to tell the beginners precisely where they are to park, yet neglect to mention the fee info.

mtbr member
    @mr. blonde, you're right, but some people just like to blame others and expect a free ride.
    @FNG rider, great post. not only do you have a brain but it compliments your sense of humor nicely.
    @knight511, even if they took cards he would still be talking sh@t if he forgot his cards also. I mean really, why would he need cards in the middle of no where?
    @sheepo, you're right but IMO it's still in bad taste to call people names, even if they deserve it.
    @joethenoob, the only thing you're right about is your spell check. Maybe you should also look into a class that teaches simpler things, like personal responsibility.
    Man, give away things for free and some are still not happy.
    the strongest trees grow on the windiest plains... ~Tone's

Bro Mountainbiker
    but I sucked you in to commenting on a post
    Hey,
    You're right.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Mountain Man Dan
    Yeah, sure. They didn't mention the parking, but you really shouldn't arrive 10 minutes before the cut off time. That's just pure idiocy on your part...because you never know what could happen while going there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight511
    SP in Texas take credit. So not every state is still living in 1940 with cash or checks only
    Most do. The point is you can't assume that'll be the case. I've just never heard of someone going into the woods without a little cash. It's just dumb.

OH: For crist sakes it's CORBA not COBRA. Shows how much research you decided to do before going. I'm not convinced you even read the flyer carefully at all if you don't even know their name.

EDIT: Things to have money for in the woods: To offer driver if you are forced to hitch, buy a drink/snack at a hick country store, make a phone call on a payphone where you don't have reception, and to use as a tire boot if you slit a casing. Just a few that come to mind immediately. I have done all of these several times.
    Last edited by Mr. Blonde; 04-03-2011 at 12:13 PM.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    What, doesn't the sitter take "Visa"??

mtbr member
    @ the OP just catch the next class in May or June. Also consider contacting them and letting them know to add a note about parking fees for those that don't frequent state parks. Chalk it up to a learning experience and move on.
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro