Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Technique I can't seem to learn: two rocks with gap: can't get the front wheel up!

Picture this:

• Two pumpkin-sized rocks, spaced about 18 inches apart. You go up and half-way over the first rock and it's looking good so far.
    • But then your front wheel approaches the second rock. You try to pull up on the bars to lift the front wheel, but the rear wheel is still high on the first rock and the bike is tipped downward too much. Your attempts to lift the front wheel fail.
    • Rather than going up and over the second rock, the front wheel digs in hard and you come to a sudden halt, almost (or actually) going OTB.

I'd love to hear some tips on how to approach this. Any time this obstacle pattern occurs in a trail (two bumps back-to-back) I'm pretty much screwed. I've tried keeping my weight back, and keeping my elbows bent in an attempt to lift at just the right point. But so far no dice. It gets me every time.

Front Range, Colorado
    Front wheel up on first rock as you're approaching the front wheel onto the second rock you compress down the rear and pull up in a bunny hopping technique and then immediately pull the up on the bars to get the front tire onto the second rock. Go up and over hit the skids and drink a beer.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Buy a different bike with a different wheelbase.

MTBR Member
    Just huck it.

mtbr member
    Right before the front wheel hits the second rock I compress the front wheel hard and let the fork rebound take enough weight off the front wheel that it rolls over it. Make sure to pedal through it or at least the instant you release the fork compression. Trying to loft the front wheel in a manual in that situation is near impossible unless you are going so slow you can pedal and wheelie, trials style.

Professional Crastinator
    This assumes that this is a low speed move with space for a wheel in between the rocks.
    Just as the front wheel touches down past the 1st rock, move your body slightly forward, then stop your body while making it light - almost like a bunny hop. Thrust (lunge?) the bike forward and up, rotating around your bottom bracket while your body is stopped. As the rear tire rolls down the backside of rock 1, the front tire goes up rock 2 and your body moves forward to continue over rock 2. It takes some muscle. The lighter you can make yourself, and the stronger you are, the easier it is. It is the same move on double logs and certain stairs that are spaced really weird. I'd have to say it is a lot like a bunny hop with bike rotation. And don't forget to pedal up rock 2 - prob'ly a ratchet pedal + another lunge.

If the rocks are close enough to bridge the gap with your wheelbase, wheelie off rock 1 and put your front wheel on or over rock 2.

-F

PS - it is easier on a rigid bike
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Classic wheel trap. See above for great ideas that I cant' do.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    Picture this:

• Two pumpkin-sized rocks, spaced about 18 inches apart. You go up and half-way over the first rock and it's looking good so far.
    • But then your front wheel approaches the second rock. You try to pull up on the bars to lift the front wheel, but the rear wheel is still high on the first rock and the bike is tipped downward too much. Your attempts to lift the front wheel fail.((Pulling up will never work))
    • Rather than going up and over the second rock, the front wheel digs in hard and you come to a sudden halt, almost (or actually) going OTB.

I'd love to hear some tips on how to approach this. Any time this obstacle pattern occurs in a trail (two bumps back-to-back) I'm pretty much screwed. I've tried keeping my weight back, and keeping my elbows bent in an attempt to lift at just the right point. But so far no dice. It gets me every time.
    Momentum is your friend...

So is a manual...

Even better is a manual with a bunny hop up onto the first rock...

The only way to keep the front in the air is to get the weight way back...(the manual)..

If your gonna let the front go down in between the rocks you will after really push it down so that it springs back hard.....that can work too.

The White Jeff W
    There's a spot like that in one of the local parks. The rear wheel is dropping off one rock at the same time the front hits the next one. Timing and momentum is everything. Be in a fairly hard gear. You cant granny ring that. Stand up in an attack position. Just as your front tire approaches the 2nd rock pedal hard & lift the bars like you're going to manual. Commit to it. Dont go at it tentatively or you'll wuss out. As the front clears the second rock keep pedaling & ride it out.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by matto6 View Post
    Picture this:

• But then your front wheel approaches the second rock. You try to pull up on the bars to lift the front wheel, but the rear wheel is still high on the first rock and the bike is tipped downward too much. Your attempts to lift the front wheel fail.

It's not possible to ride over something like this on a bicycle. You should contact the local bike clubs in the area, to find out where the "flow trails" are. Riding those is alot more fun.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Ignore List: CannondaleF9, ShinDiggity, smilinsteve

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    It's not possible to ride over something like this on a bicycle. You should contact the local bike clubs in the area, to find out where the "flow trails" are. Riding those is alot more fun.

Because everyone wants to ride a trail that is as smooth a a sidewalk....with jumps. Wait..... That sounds a lot like our local BMX track.

Anybody can ride flowy trails.....cleaning sections like the OP describes is a much better challenge.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'd like to see some pictures of this rock section before I try to give any advice. It could just be that you need to try a different line.
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Name:  pumpkin-mini1.jpg
Views: 465
Size:  18.2 KB

Okay... I'm picturing two pumpkin sized rocks... I don't see the problem
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    You should contact the local bike clubs in the area, to find out where the "flow trails" are. Riding those is alot more fun.
    Or, like they do around here, rip out both rocks. After all, if they can't ride it, obviously nobody else can...or wants to try.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdl View Post
    or, like they do around here, rip out both rocks. After all, if they can't ride it, obviously nobody else can...or wants to try.
    I know you're joking but...
    GRRRRRRRRRRR!

Someone around here just cut out a tree that has acted like a gate, called "The Squeeze", for the last 22 years. You could exactly fit a 30" handlebar straight through. Anything wider had to be wiggled through. The trail stewards are looking for that person.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

It's about showing up.
    I studied your plight, made a few sketches; I couldn't do this either.
    I don't rattle.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Front wheel up on first rock as you're approaching the front wheel onto the second rock you compress down the rear and pull up in a bunny hopping technique and then immediately pull the up on the bars to get the front tire onto the second rock. Go up and over hit the skids and drink a beer.

This ^^^ seems to be the best and most accurate way of doing it. Saved me some typing DJ thanks!
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    go faster

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman View Post
    Just huck it.
    Is this what you mean?

Technique I can't seem to learn: two rocks with gap: can't get the front wheel up!-2hrzk9f.jpg

mtbr member
    I'm doomed...

Name:  pumpimages.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  14.3 KB

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    I know you're joking but...
    GRRRRRRRRRRR!

Someone around here just cut out a tree that has acted like a gate, called "The Squeeze", for the last 22 years. You could exactly fit a 30" handlebar straight through. Anything wider had to be wiggled through. The trail stewards are looking for that person.

-F
    Vultures Knob?
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Buy a 29er.

Just kidding!!! That was a joke. Lower the flame throwers.

Seriously, sometimes you just might not have the ability to clear something. Either practice practice practice or just need to avoid the rocks.

I get over stuff now that I never thought I would be able to do and there is plenty of other stuff out there that I still think I'll never do. Maybe I'm right. Maybe not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    There was this massive log across a trail that foiled me for the last year and half. Then a few weeks ago I got over it clean for the first time. Last week someone removed it. Idiots.

Afric Pepperbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamrockandroll13 View Post
    I'd like to see some pictures of this rock section before I try to give any advice. It could just be that you need to try a different line.
    this ^^

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Back tire hop!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast