mtbr member

Tearing down backup bike to the frame, what to do?

I'm going to tear down my 26" HT backup bike to the frame. Both hubs need major work, as they haven't been serviced since the bike was built in 2005 so I'm going to work on that.

I'm also installing all new shifter cables and housings. The brakes are Avid BB7s and I'm thinking about taking them apart as well.

Anything else I should focus on? Fork (Marzocchi Bomber)? Headset (RaceFace Deus)?
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    You may as well clean/regrease all the bearings -- headset, bottom bracket, hubs, as you already mentioned. Clean it all up. If your fork needs work, do that too. And clean everything -- water, dish soap, more water -- before you get busy with the grease. A clean bike is a working bike.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Weird huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro View Post
    You may as well clean/regrease all the bearings -- headset, bottom bracket, hubs, as you already mentioned. Clean it all up. If your fork needs work, do that too. And clean everything -- water, dish soap, more water -- before you get busy with the grease. A clean bike is a working bike.
    Really nothing to add to this. Great advice !
    ...You'll find me chugging a gallon of Pliny sooner than going hipstertard ~ Menso

mtbr member
    Get a lead on a backup-backup bike just in case something goes wrong with your main ride....

29er and 26er
    Mar 2012
    I would make sure you budget some extra dollars for those unexpected things that come up. Hubs that have not been serviced in that long may need new bearings, cups or cones. Your headset may need to be replaced as well. If you don't have the proper tools to take your bike apart budget some extra dollars for that as well.

I went through this when I stripped my bike down to the frame to have it powder coated.

It always cost more than you think.

Good luck and take pictures and post them as you progress.