Trucking & Extortion

Tarnished by Degreaser

The last time I washed my bike off I used a diluted solution of super purple because I was out of simple green. Turns out that may have not been the best idea. The shiny black anodized finish on my stem, and rims, and rear shock all now appear to have a slightly milky/cloudy tarnished finish to them.

Has anyone experienced this, and is there a chemical/compound to restore the original finish? I hope this is not permanent, and that the degreaser has just left deposits. I tried for a few minutes to clean the stem with a soapy solution but it didnt do much.

Thanks
    Seeking Lot Lizards and Rackets

mtbr member
    First I must say that sucks this happened to you.

A degreaser usually has harsher cleaning detergents compared to your typical soap. No surprise to me that it would dull/cloud up the black anodized finish on some of your bikes components.

You could try to buff out those components with a polish to see if that helps restore the finish some. You may have to chalk this one up as a lesson-learned scenario.

ready to ride
    Yeah, that is a high alkaline degreaser. It will eat up the finish and probably should be used on aluminum. The only thing you can do is try to polish it out. Might try Mother's Polish.

The Original Suspect
    Yes, stay away from harsh degreasers. I used some a buddy of mine bought at the dollar store and diluted. Did the same thing you describe on my rear hub. I stay away from degreasers in general now. I used to buy Pedros citrus for my chain but I can't find it anymore. Using Park now and that's not bad.