Super Clyde

Talk to me about ProFlex bikes

I found a ProFlex 755 on Craigslist locally. I'm thinking about totally lowballing the guy to see if he bites. He's asking $280, I was going to offer $175 and take it from there. I sent him an e-mail to see what components are on the bike as the ad isn't very descriptive. Is the design still relevant? I remember it was cutting edge in the mid 90s when it came out. I had three friends that worked at a LBS and they all bought one. I guess I'd be buying it more out of nostalgia than anything else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you would ride it go for it ,if it's going to set around and coelet dust save your money and buy something that you would ride.

Your Best Friend
    It is definitely no longer relevant as an effective design. But that really isn't the point. Buy the bike for nostalgia and take it on oldie but goodie rides. Just don't expect it to be your only bike.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

Probably drunk right now

Talk to me about ProFlex bikes

I wouldn't pay anything for one. It's not relevant, heavy, old design. If you want it to collect or for nostalgia, it would be worth something to you. But not as a mountain bike.

Sent from my rotary phone and compiled with a telegraph machine.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

Your Best Friend
    I want to clarify. This bike is awesome. If it's original or even mostly original. People who grew up using these bikes are seeing them around will love it. Buy it for that reason.
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Whoa. I like the driveside...wait.... non driveside view. I am a huge vintage fan, but I can't say I would buy that. Dated design. Not desirable from a collector's viewpoint either. The parts are okay but the suspension may be shot. You should check it before laying out any cash and I would definitely low ball and have fun with it! I like the blue anodized seatpost though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a 1997 Proflex 857 Expert Series with the carbon swing arm, Noleen reservoir shocks, Girvin Elite linkage fork and all the period XT stuff. I guess there's somebody somewhere who would get excited about it but mostly it's just old and weird. The reality is that it rides hard and is pretty terrifying at speed.

I had a Marzocchi Z5 Bomber on it for a while which made it somewhat less 'unpredictable' but the Kooky Girvin is just too much of a conversation piece to leave on the shelf. I love riding the thing - about once a year - and if it weren't paid for ages ago I probably wouldn't buy it.

To their credit, those bikes took a tremendous beating without breaking down. Which makes them less rare than some other more fragile designs.

mtbr member
    You should view this bike like an early 70's semi-collector car -- you buy it to have it, not really to ride it everywhere. If you think it would be cool to have an old Proflex hanging around for some reason, by all means.

If you intend to get a bike that you're going to ride on trails on a regular basis, get something else.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ask in the vintage forum. I don't believe they have a good rep there.
    1997 proflex 857 vs 1997/98 cannondale killer v 900