mtbr member

taking a Chromo frame to raw is a B****

Bought a used Commencal Absolute Chromo DJ and tore it down. after removing stickers and chain stay protector I went with paint stripper, steel wool, wire brush, sandpaper, repeat, beer, wire wheel, beer, repeat, etc. until I've gotten about 98% of the paint off. There are still a couple spots that I can get to with sandpaper but a few areas are next to impossible to get clear (headtube welds, cable guides, chain stay support).

I guess I imagined the paint stripper would sit for an hour and then it all slides off like a sheet of vinyl hahaha, not the case!

When should I call it good and move on to primer paint?
    Any tips for removing stubborn paint in very tight spaces?

Couple before and after shots, taken about 2 days so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails taking a Chromo frame to raw is a B****-dj3.jpg  

taking a Chromo frame to raw is a B****-dj2.jpg  

taking a Chromo frame to raw is a B****-dj1.jpg  

GO COUGS
    GO HAWKS

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    See if you can take it somewhere local for a media-blasting, like a powdercoat shop, etc.

Not very expensive and WAY easier way to get paint off.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    I called a few shops and they are getting back with quotes. It should only take 5 minutes to blast those areas, just a few bucks.

I was really hoping to get it done myself but sometimes you have to call in the big guns!

I got in contact with a Commencal rep in CA and they are sending me factory frame decals so it should turn out pretty sharp when it's all complete.
    GO COUGS
    GO HAWKS

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sweet!

I would inquire about a quote for powdercoating the frame too.
    You might be surprised how cheap it is and how many options you'll have.

IME, it'll come out way better than trying to do it yourself (unless you do a lot of that type of stuff).
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    I have a road bike frame someone game me that I want to re-paint, wondering if I should look into sand blasting instead of just a light sand to get it smoothed out before I paint it...
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I took a quick look one PC shop's site and they do a strip and paint package for bikes for $120 with standard colors, $150 for custom/multi colors/fades/crackles/sparkles/etc.

That would totally be the way to go IMO. You can get some really sweet and unique paint jobs for short $$.

PRICING
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I used the most HD version paint stripper I could find at Lowes and went to town on my old Yo Eddy. Took 2 or 3 cans and probably 5 hours of application/paint removal to get it all off. There were only a few places I couldn't get at, very few. The stripper I used was nasty stuff too, I had all sorts of chem burns on my legs from brushing it off and having the paint shrapnel hit my legs on the first go around. I'm fairly sure this was it.

Beer Please! SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I took a quick look one PC shop's site and they do a strip and paint package for bikes for $120 with standard colors, $150 for custom/multi colors/fades/crackles/sparkles/etc.

That would totally be the way to go IMO. You can get some really sweet and unique paint jobs for short $$.

PRICING
    Great option, I wonder how expensive it would be to ship my bike frame to Kansas....
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

mtbr member
    Media blasting/powder coating is definitely the way to fly. Last month I turned this black/blue Redline frame/fork into a proper white set. My local Memphis PC charged $100. Quick and painless. I've seen folks in other regions of the country pay as little as $60 for a frame/fork strip & powder job.

Before:

After:
    Greg

2014 Haro FLC 29 Comp
    2009 Red Line MX-24
    1980 Red Line Pro-Line old-school cool

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by coling View Post
    I called a few shops and they are getting back with quotes. It should only take 5 minutes to blast those areas, just a few bucks.
    Before you get it blasted pack the bb shell up with something fairly solid like packing foam and get some plastic or metal caps over the end of the shell. Or find an old junker BB and fit that.

I have seen more than one frame destroyed by careless media blasting removing threads out of the bb shell or taking bearing seats out of shape.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 80Pro-Line View Post
    After:
    Old school scheme....love it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Klurejr View Post
    Great option, I wonder how expensive it would be to ship my bike frame to Kansas....
    There're PC shops all over the place. Even if they don't typically do bikes, I think any decent shop is going to be pretty aware of how not to wreck the shit they work on. I'd imagine they do stuff that's more complicated than a bike frame on a regular basis; motorcycle and car stuff, etc. Get an idea of what's a reasonable price and call up a local shop (if possible, I dunno where you live). It seems a lot of the PC shops around here (N.E.) welcome the work and all the results I've seen have been just as good if not better than stock paint.

I suppose though if it's just more of a project you don't want to spend $$ on it if you can help it and don't mind putting the time in, you can still go the diy route. One of my favorite bikes has a rattle-can paint job. Depends what kind of result you're looking for, and how much you're into doing the job yourself. Either way's cool, but IMO, when you figure in material and time, PC is pretty reasonable economically. And they can do some pretty cool stuff.

Powder Coating: New Life For An Old MTB Frame | Singletracks Mountain Bike News
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.