Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Taco anyone?

Custom User Title

Taco anyone?

Bent it earlier today. Took a corner a little too fast, tire washed out and down I went. Check bike first, then me. So I had to walk a mile or so back to my car. Luckily it was a wonderful day to take your bike for a walk, or what little walking it could do...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Taco anyone?-20121223_123209.jpg  

Taco anyone?-20121223_123224.jpg  

Slightly faster than a speeding snail.

banned
    Well theres your problem right there. Your running an Aspen on the front. How big a boy are you to thrash a front rim like that? Also, what rim you running? Are you telling the entire story?

Thankfully the rider was OK. I generally check the bike first after going down as well. Keep the rubber side down.

Tool
    Do note that when the wheel is that bent, it's toast, but you can usually get it straight enough to ride home by removing it and banging it on the pavement.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

usually cranky
    if your tight on money my bet would be a shop could get it straight enough to ride. the integrity of the wheel would probably compromised and id replace it as soon as i could but just for a stop gap...

Custom User Title
    Im about 5'-9" or around there, 200-210 pounds it varies daily for some reason... The rim is an alexrims TD25, both front and rear same rim and tire. As far as I know that's the entire story, or I may have fallen because of a rock in the turn. I really don't know. Maybe my wight wasn't leaned in the right direction. I was the only rider within the area so I had no one to say what happened. I did have a short thought about banging it against a nearby tree, but knowing my luck I would just snap the rim in half or catch the tree on fire or something. The rear wheel is also a hair bent, but easily ride able. I just got them trued last weekend too...

Im not tight on money whatsoever, so any suggestions on new rims and tire combos are welcome.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Atcher View Post
    Im about 5'-9" or around there, 200-210 pounds it varies daily for some reason... The rim is an alexrims TD25, both front and rear same rim and tire. As far as I know that's the entire story, or I may have fallen because of a rock in the turn. I really don't know. Maybe my wight wasn't leaned in the right direction. I was the only rider within the area so I had no one to say what happened. I did have a short thought about banging it against a nearby tree, but knowing my luck I would just snap the rim in half or catch the tree on fire or something. The rear wheel is also a hair bent, but easily ride able. I just got them trued last weekend too...

Im not tight on money whatsoever, so any suggestions on new rims and tire combos are welcome.
    You fell because you're running an aspen in the front and you're +200 lbs. One of my sub-150 lbs friends ran an aspen in the rear and he said it slid all over the place. Try a Cross-mark, racing ralph, or fast trak.

As for wheels: Stan's Arch EX rims with King/hope hubs and some sapim or dt to hold it all together.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

usually cranky
    oh, i love spending other peoples money on bike stuff! at your size an arch ex would be fine but id probably go with a flow. mavic 521 and wtb i23 are also great options. as for tires it really depends, if you wanna keep it rolling quick you could try a ground control or nobby nic.

Custom User Title
    I have been feeling like these tires have been wanting to slip even at low speeds. I have been looking at getting some new tires, but I didnt know what. Now I at least have a general direction to go to.

Thanks for the input everyone. Ill try to keep yall updated to where Im going for more guidance and whatnot.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    oh, i love spending other peoples money on bike stuff! at your size an arch ex would be fine but id probably go with a flow. mavic 521 and wtb i23 are also great options. as for tires it really depends, if you wanna keep it rolling quick you could try a ground control or nobby nic.
    Those are solid options, but I would never run them on my bike. Too heavy for this application.

When there are 100mm forks involved, Nobby nics/ground controls are overkill along with flows.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

usually cranky
    what does travel have to do with tread? both are sub 700g and pretty middle of the road aggressiveness wise. id stick with a crossmark in the rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    what does travel have to do with tread? both are sub 700g and pretty middle of the road aggressiveness wise. id stick with a crossmark in the rear.
    Travel has to do with it because a 100mm fork is XC material. Nobby Nic is pushing it for XC. To me, thats more of a "trail" tire. RaRa's and RoRo's are schwalbe's XC material (and furious fred of course) while renegades and fast traks are spesh's XC rubber.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Since when does travel indicate how a bike should be ridin? As far as I can tell, I out ride alot of my friends and they all ride all mountain full suspension. Im on a 90mm hardtail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Since when does travel indicate how a bike should be ridin? As far as I can tell, I out ride alot of my friends and they all ride all mountain full suspension. Im on a 90mm hardtail.
    Since we have so many suspension lengths available, it only makes sense that we would choose the type of bike most suited to our riding style. You may ride a 90mm HT on "AM" terrain, but you're the exception to the rule. Just as an XC racer on a 140mm FS would be. I didn't think suspension was that difficult to understand?

usually cranky
    the terrain the bike is used on determines the tires you run, not the type of bike. an xc track may very well suit a nobby nic whereas a trail considered all mountain may suit a cross mark. it all depends on the soil/ rock/ sand/ whatever. by your logic a rigid should be running slicks.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    Travel has to do with it because a 100mm fork is XC material.
    Tell that to this guy...

Nobby Nic is pushing it for XC. To me, thats more of a "trail" tire. RaRa's and RoRo's are schwalbe's XC material (and furious fred of course) while renegades and fast traks are spesh's XC rubber.
    Just because you have an XC bike doesn't mean you need low tread rubber. Case study: Some people find themselves riding XC trails that contain mud. Race tires don't work that well in mud. Hence, they may run a larger tire on a short travel bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    by your logic a rigid should be running slicks.
    And most are. See: every road bike made.

I know that you pick tires based on conditions, BUT the majority (not all) of XC riders do not need that beefy of rubber on their bikes, and the majority of XC riders use 100mm forks. Therefore, the OP doesn't need that beefy of rubber or rims.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My statements on this thread are not end all be alls. They are generalizations. You will be able to find exceptions to these rules, but they are exceptions.

Example:
    Generalization: I before E except after C
    Exception: Weird

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    Therefore, the OP doesn't need that beefy of rubber or rims.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT
    My statements on this thread are not end all be alls. They are generalizations. You will be able to find exceptions to these rules, but they are exceptions.
    What if the OP is an exception?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkley View Post
    What if the OP is an exception?
    There is a chance, but it is small. Even smaller considering he has been using aspens and hasn't detected a problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Keep the aspen in the rear, if it is not too wet it is a great tire. The front can use something more grippy.

Front Range, Colorado
    ZXFT,
    Are you for real, you actually question the use of this guys tires and travel of his fork. Everyone has a different preference in tires and his fork length of a 100mm doesn't necessarily mean he's a XC rider. I know riders on full ridged bikes that can out ride most DH'ers or so called All Mountain riders. The issue here is he bent a rim and walked out. My suggestion to the OP is next time this happens pull the wheel off the bike, lay it flat on the ground and push down and bend it back as straight as you can. Most times you can get it back straight enough to ride out and limp it back. It sure beats hike-A-biking it out.

As far as replacing the rim, the rule is if it has a kink it's toast. If there is no kink a good wheel builder can relace it and it should be fine. Good luck and and glad you didn't get hurt.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Currently in Exile
    Can't go wrong with Mavic Crossmax wheels. I am the same height but about 60 lbs lighter than you. I am currently running Hope hubs laced to Stans Crest rims. For you I think the Arch might be a better choice as the Crests are a pretty light welght rim.
    Last edited by Frozenspokes; 12-24-2012 at 08:18 PM.
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    OH MY GOD. All I was saying is chances are he rides XC. I am in no way positive of this statement nor am I positive that he shouldn't be running Dirty Dan's. I am just saying that most likely he rides tame XC trails based on his current set-up and therefore I recommend a fast rolling, lightweight tire with slightly more grip than an aspen.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Worst case scenario:

If on the trail: Just hit the rim with a big branch or rock. If you have a shovel laying around, that'll work great.

At home: just replace the rim.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    At a ride last year a friend did almost the same thing to his wheel .So him and another friend took the wheel off the bike and slammed it down on the pavement ,it was almost straight after that . I think there is a video on you tube of them doing it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast