Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Taco anyone?

A bike brought me here!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Atcher View Post
    I did have a short thought about banging it against a nearby tree, but knowing my luck I would just snap the rim in half or catch the tree on fire or something. The rear wheel is also a hair bent, but easily ride able. I just got them trued last weekend too...

Im not tight on money whatsoever, so any suggestions on new rims and tire combos are welcome.
    I am wondering about the truing you had done.... Some of the spokes may have been a bit too tight and a small lateral force can the rim to bend to the tight ones. I do not like mine too tight as I did that once a long time ago.... I set them to ring like bells till a side force bent the rim! They need a little freedom! JMHO!

poikaa
    "I don't ride a bike, I'm the pilot!"

mtbr member
    Flashbacks. Just accomplished this myself a month ago. Come off a drop and front wheel landed in a quick sand pit of forest duff and sank almost to the axle. Low and behold there was a rock also buried just ahead of the landing which caught the wheel and proceeded to rotate it 90 degrees while still buried. This provided the perfect anchor to stick my wheel and toss me right otb. Luckily that soft forest duff broke my fall so I walked away un-scathed. The wheel on the other hand looked like it got hit by a car. Luckily there were 2 strategically placed pines (the forest gods with a sense of humor) right there that served as the perfect fulcrum cause I wasn’t about to hike the ~5miles back to the truck with wrecked bike in tow. Straightened up, limped out, on to fight another day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ZXFT View Post
    You fell because you're running an aspen in the front and you're +200 lbs. One of my sub-150 lbs friends ran an aspen in the rear and he said it slid all over the place. Try a Cross-mark, racing ralph, or fast trak.

As for wheels: Stan's Arch EX rims with King/hope hubs and some sapim or dt to hold it all together.
    6'4", 185 and did this to an Arch EX 15mm thru....on an Aspen :-). Clipped a tree, dug it in, and went for a flight. No banging or wedging between trees was going to get it straight. Was going to be my last ride on the Aspen.....and it was! My crash wasn't the Aspen's fault, but it is by far the loosest tire I have ever ridden.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Troll View Post
    Well theres your problem right there. Your running an Aspen on the front. How big a boy are you to thrash a front rim like that? Also, what rim you running? Are you telling the entire story?

Thankfully the rider was OK. I generally check the bike first after going down as well. Keep the rubber side down.
    Could you elaborate on what exactly you mean here? I am realatively new and this is the first I have heard about a tire causing something like this.

I am about to get some new tires for my bike (ride moslty XC type with a little "trail type" of stuff mixed in but honestly am still not sure what kind of riding is what), and want to make sure I avoid anything that could possibly contribute to somehting like this. I am also pretty heave at 200-210 although I plan on getting down to the 185 range.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Atl-Biker View Post
    Could you elaborate on what exactly you mean here? I am realatively new and this is the first I have heard about a tire causing ...
    I think he is saying that the Aspen is a poor choice for a front tire because it does not have sufficient lugs for cornering. I'd have chosen a meatier tire for the front.

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    I don't see how a washout could cause a wheel to taco like that, unless there was something seriously wrong with the way it was built. Here's what is much more likely to cause this - Tom's Taco at Fountain Head - YouTube

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobretti View Post
    I don't see how a washout could cause a wheel to taco like that, unless there was something seriously wrong with the way it was built. Here's what is much more likely to cause this - Tom's Taco at Fountain Head - YouTube

From the looks of it that was a pretty clean landing and I think a solidly built wheel would have survived it no problem. Actually a washout can potentially stress them a lot more than that jump, though I agree that a poorly built wheel is usually the culprit.

Once I was doing a nice controlled slide on snow covered ice and hit a small dry patch that completely potato chipped my rear wheel. It was brand new factory built POS wheel.

mtbr member
    And I don't mean cheap, just shoddily built.

Custom User Title
    So I have decided on my wheels and everything. Stans Arch EX with Geax AKA front and back. And just for fun Im going to run tubeless to see how that goes. Worst case on that is i wasted money on having that done.
    Slightly faster than a speeding snail.

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    From the looks of it that was a pretty clean landing and I think a solidly built wheel would have survived it no problem. Actually a washout can potentially stress them a lot more than that jump, though I agree that a poorly built wheel is usually the culprit.

Once I was doing a nice controlled slide on snow covered ice and hit a small dry patch that completely potato chipped my rear wheel. It was brand new factory built POS wheel.
    The rider in that weighs over #200, so that contributed some also I believe.
    I've had good luck with my last 2 sets of factory wheels. They barely even went out of true, despite harsh treatment, at least with the rear. The 1 custom set I had built hasn't been as good, the rear has gone out of whack a couple times, and I've gone easier on it. I guess wheels are one of those that things vary considerably with regards to durabilty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post

Forgot to mention that I re-bent, tensioned and trued that wheel and rode it on my daily commuter for about 6 years with no (big) problems after that incident, which I thought was pretty cool!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    So I have decided on my wheels and everything. Stans Arch EX with Geax AKA front and back. And just for fun Im going to run tubeless to see how that goes. Worst case on that is i wasted money on having that done.
    Tubeless is the best thing ever, and Stan's rims go perfectly with it. AKAs look solid, although I've never ridden one personally.
    Something wrong with your bike? Blame it on super human strength and sleep well at night knowing you are more than a man.

usually cranky
    tnt or standard. ive heard tnt and stans dont play nicely together.

Custom User Title
    It's the tnt. Why don't they play nicely? I thought they were designed for tubeless? Or just the certain rim they don't like?

I was thinking about it and I may have been fine on my aspens if I reversed the tread on them. Sacrifice some rolling resistance for a hair bit of grip. Who needs low rolling resistance anyway... Oh well. Too late for that now. Upgrades away.

Cow Clicker
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

usually cranky
    It's the tnt. Why don't they play nicely? I thought they were designed for tubeless? Or just the certain rim they don't like?
    the tnt bead is next to impossible to get on stans rims i have head.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hey OP, you ever look I to why your weight fluctuated through ten pounds/day? I'm 5'9 and do the exact same but its between 205-215. I swear one day I'm 205 and the next I'm 212 then down to 210 its so weird. I check multiple times and it reads the same.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

Custom User Title
    It's really not that bad. It's just I don't check my weight much. But sometimes it does feel that way. Maybe if I actually ate something healthy every now and then it would stay...

My bike shop is putting everything together. They even suggested the combo so I guess they haven't had too much trouble with them. I'll ask them if they've ever had any trouble with them when I go pick up my bike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2