bay area CA

switching hardware to torx bits

i always thought about switching all the hardware on my bike to torx bits. to me it seems like a good idea because torx bits dont strip like hex bolts do, and i dont have to carry a bunch of hex keys around. just my interchangeable tool with a small sleeve of torx bits. also, ive always found that torx bits hold a lot better than hex bolts do.

has anyone on the forum ever tried this? if so, what were your thoughts on it? is it worth doing?

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    seems worth doing. i hate hex. too easy to strip. best would be to go to a real fastener store with your bike on your rack, have them keep a tab as you do the replacing, and just replace them all out in the parking lot.

seems like it would probably be doable for the most part. good luck finding torx chainring bolts, though.

I bet it would get expensive, too, for how much benefit?

mtbr member
    My shimano xt cranks all came with torx ring bolts.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yup, mine also.

Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    Wish I could find the other four.

bay area CA
    thanks for the input. i think if i can get it done for around 50 bucks, it would be worth it to me. in bmx, stuff comes loose way more often then when youre on the trail, but i do hate it when my handlebars or seatpost come loose in the middle of a ride, and its good to know that shimano does make chainrings with torx bolts. im going to hit up my local shop and see what their 2 cents on it is as well. thanks fellas.

mtbr member
    I hate hex bolts. Would love to see everything made with torx...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    seems like it would probably be doable for the most part. good luck finding torx chainring bolts, though.

I bet it would get expensive, too, for how much benefit?
    Shimano SLX cranks have torx chainring bolts (at least on some of the ones I have disassembled) so they are out there

Ride More, Whine Less
    Torx is probably a better head for a fastener, but a conversion seems like it would only seek to satisfy an urge to tinker with the bike. I understand and support this urge, by they way.

However, I'm not sure that the pattern that is used to connect the threads to the tool that turns them will have an impact on whether or not things come loose. Torque and bolt stretch helps hold things in place.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I prefer hex on anything that doesn't require high torque. If someone is having problem with there hex brake lever clamp bolt or hex shifter clamp bolts striping or rounding out, then they are doing something wrong.

The only place I see benefits to have torx head fasteners is on chainring bolts and rotor bolts.

bay area CA
    good points, im thinking torx bolts would be better fasteners in the sense that i never tighten my hex bolts too far because im afraid of stripping or snapping them, i have dealt with this for almost 2 decades! i think this might be an experiment worth doing to see if it is effective. with torx bits, at least the ones on the cars that ive worked on, they just seem to be easier to deal with in every way. plus i wouldnt have to carry around a hex set around every time i went on a deep ride. im thinking that with a switch to torx, i can carry my small interchangeable driver and my little plastic sleeve that can hold 5 torx bits and be good. the main hardware pieces that id like to switch to torx on my bike are the stem bolts, the chainring bolts, the bolts on my brakes (yes, i still run v-brakes!) and the bolts on my brake/derailer levers. my local shop closed before i could get there today, but im going to go tomorrow and get their opinion. ill let you know how my little experiment goes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    McMaster-Carr

Tons of hardware. Ships fast. I use them for projects all the time.

bay area CA
    Quote Originally Posted by jmeldrum26 View Post
    I prefer hex on anything that doesn't require high torque. If someone is having problem with there hex brake lever clamp bolt or hex shifter clamp bolts striping or rounding out, then they are doing something wrong.

The only place I see benefits to have torx head fasteners is on chainring bolts and rotor bolts.
    a hard wipeout can knock your handlebars and your levers loose in a heartbeat. no matter, how "right" you are torquing your bolts. maybe you never crash, or take falls, but i do. and every time i do take a fall, more times than not, im readjusting my bars or levers or something. just looking to experiment and see if positive results comes out of it. if it works out, you can thank me later for turning you on to a torx bolt conversion!

Quote Originally Posted by thickfog View Post
    How bout that. My 05 xt hollowtech II cranks still use the hex/slot ring bolts.

I got some r553 10spd cranks for my commuter in the fall and they were the same. Put some purely custom hex ring bolts on when I converted them to single ring.

Torx ring bolts must still be new and fairly uncommon. I cannot say I've stripped a torx bolt, though. stripped plenty of panhead hex bolts though

bay area CA
    thanks for the awesome link jack and coke, its going to come in handy. im going to do an inventory of all the hex bolts i plan to replace first thing in the morning, and then go from there.

Probably drunk right now

Or...

you could spend the money on a torque wrench.

Nothing wrong w what you're doing but some of your logic is off. Rather than carrying multiple sized Allen wrenches, you're going to have to carry multiple sized star wrenches (loose) vs. a compact multi-tool. And speaking of multi-tools, you'll probably have to forget about borrowing someone else's for a quick trailside repair. And speaking further of multi-tools, you're going to have to carry a couple loose tools that would normally come with a multi-tool.

So you're going to add trailside complexity for a problem that typically occurs in your garage and can be overcome fairly simply. I wouldn't do it but to each their own.

Ken
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Buy a few nuts to use as dies, too, unless you already have a die set. If you need to shorten a screw, screw it through the nut, cut it flush with the nut with a dremel, screw it a little further thru the nut, touch up the threads with the dremel or a file, and then back it out of the nut. The nut will clean the threads up as you back the screw out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have stripped a few Torxx bolts (in the brake rotor), probably, due to below standard bits. Not sure about other places, but in my part of the world it is not always easy to find a decent Torxx bit set, takes trial and error approach to decide what is usable and what is not. From my experience, hex bolts are less likely to strip. They are just used more widely. Besides, I prefer using ball head hex, as they can be inserted at some angle - unlike Torx. Torx is easier to screw out if stripped though, takes less work to cut a slot for using a flat head screwdriver.

I'm Slow
    I was thinking of the same thing, anyone know of a good place to pick up torx bolts preferably SS bolts.

I have a few XX parts, and they are designed to have as many bolts as possible on a T-25 bolt, and I like the idea of swapping all the bolts to T-25
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by LONO100 View Post
    i always thought about switching all the hardware on my bike to torx bits. to me it seems like a good idea because torx bits dont strip like hex bolts do, and i dont have to carry a bunch of hex keys around. just my interchangeable tool with a small sleeve of torx bits. also, ive always found that torx bits hold a lot better than hex bolts do.

has anyone on the forum ever tried this? if so, what were your thoughts on it? is it worth doing?
    I certainly would not bother....firstly I havn't stripped a hex head on my bike yet...

Secondly I have several bolts that without a ball head hex to allow an angle drive cannot be removed.

thirdly who cares.

Huckin' trails
    I think those torx bolts should be employed at first for stem, levers, shifters, etc that are frequently moved around, wether because of a crash, upgrade or adjustments. Plus they are all easily accessible, so enough room for any torx bit or key.

Second would be the spring tension adjust screws for v-brakes. Then maybe the rd adjust screws too. Fd screws are not always easily accessible, so I'll let them with a Phillis/flat splited head. If you are using bolt nut QR skewer, torx head are a great advantage there. Same for the disc brakes mounting hardware for the caliper and adaptor.

Would you be able to find the rear shock hardware in torx bolt head ?

One other important place would be the shaft bolts that holds your fork lowers to the uppers. Those needs to be torque pretty tight and with the crush washer can get pretty easy to strip the hex head when you try to remove them if you're not careful.

Do the crank arms bolts too. Chainring bolts would be nice, but no alu, only Stainless.

And while you're gonna swap all those bolts, be sure to get some spare ones just in case you happen to miss one or strip it

And go Ti where ever you can

David
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    I think those torx bolts should be employed at first for stem, levers, shifters, etc that are frequently moved around, wether because of a crash, upgrade or adjustments. Plus they are all easily accessible, so enough room for any torx bit or key.

Second would be the spring tension adjust screws for v-brakes. Then maybe the rd adjust screws too. Fd screws are not always easily accessible, so I'll let them with a Phillis/flat splited head. If you are using bolt nut QR skewer, torx head are a great advantage there. Same for the disc brakes mounting hardware for the caliper and adaptor.

Would you be able to find the rear shock hardware in torx bolt head ?

One other important place would be the shaft bolts that holds your fork lowers to the uppers. Those needs to be torque pretty tight and with the crush washer can get pretty easy to strip the hex head when you try to remove them if you're not careful.

Do the crank arms bolts too. Chainring bolts would be nice, but no alu, only Stainless.

And while you're gonna swap all those bolts, be sure to get some spare ones just in case you happen to miss one or strip it

And go Ti where ever you can

David

You would be so sexy if you had girl bits while talking durty like that

bay area CA
    thats exactly where im planning on converting to torx. the stem, levers and brake bolts. and i already have all the torx bits i need in my garage because of all the work i do on cars.