Jumps Stumps

Switch to flats for urban training

As soon as the snow starts to melt I'm going to start practicing around town.
    Practice drops, skinnies, bunny hops, etc. On the mountain I use clipless, but I'm wondering if it would be better to swap them out for some flats while doing this. You know, get back to basics.
    Any thoughts.
    The flat pedals I have are cheap but would do the trick.
    Cheers
    Greg

mtbr member
    Better yet, get some BMX pedals and ride with those. If you can bunnyhop, drop, etc. with platforms, it will make you so much better on your trail bike because you will learn ideal body mechanics. It was kind of a trip for me coming from riding almost exclusively street/DJ to trail riding clipped in-I felt like I could bunnyhop sooooo high because I had been riding with platforms forever.

I use the Hamilton pedals made by Animal-they're super cheap and have great grip. www.empirebmx.com great store to support as well!

Formerly DMR For Life
    it is definately better to ride flats...faster exits and as gorilla mentioned you bunnyhops will be much better when you go back to clips. Cheap flats tend not to have the traction that a more expsensive does...but for starting out they will work

DMR

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If you get yourself some cheapo ones, make sure that they have replacable pins. That way you can replace the whole lot with longer pins that you can get at any hardware store. Always be sure to wear proper leg protection, esp. at the beginning. Those flat pedals like to eat your shins, beware

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by trialsrookie
    If you get yourself some cheapo ones, make sure that they have replacable pins. That way you can replace the whole lot with longer pins that you can get at any hardware store. Always be sure to wear proper leg protection, esp. at the beginning. Those flat pedals like to eat your shins, beware
    great advice. any pedals with any grip at all will definitely do some damage to your shins.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Jumps Stumps
    My shins are usually bloody after riding even with clipless so I have some shine/knee guards that I'll wear.
    Thanks!