Thread: Sweaty iPhone

mtbr member
    Nov 2016

New question here. Sweaty iPhone

I have an iPhone 6S, and I'm having problems using it when I'm all sweaty. If I want to stop and take a picture or something, I can hardly even unlock it. All my clothes are usually too sweaty to dry it off too. What do you do about that?
    2016 Fuse Pro 29/6Fattie
    2017 Stumpjumper Comp 29/6Fattie

> /dev/null 2&>1
    See a doctor?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I always carry a handkerchief in my pocket (no matter what I am doing) it works well for drying fingers for phone use, wiping off sunglasses (or any glasses), wiping sweat from your eyes, can function as a makeshift bandage. So many uses.

Sneaker man
    I have a sony phone, I can get it sweaty, wet, muddy whatever and it work fine... solution, buy a proper phone .
    All the gear and no idea.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    OP, I've got the same phone. I find opening and using it mid ride a no sweat proposition.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

nimble biker
    apply baking soda to dry it off

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Oh good grief. Never mind.
    2016 Fuse Pro 29/6Fattie

mtbr member
    Put it in the microwave in a bag of fried rice.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Are you trying to use a fingerprint to unlock? I wear thin gloves when I ride and it keeps my hands somewhat dry. My iPhone touchscreen works even when I wear gloves but, I have to use the security code to login rather than a fingerprint.

Also, you may be able to swipe to your camera without having to login your phone. Try to swipe left on your locked screen and see if your camera pops up. It works on my 7s that way.
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper 650b Elite

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    Are you trying to use a fingerprint to unlock? I wear thin gloves when I ride and it keeps my hands somewhat dry. My iPhone touchscreen works even when I wear gloves but, I have to use the security code to login rather than a fingerprint.

Also, you may be able to swipe to your camera without having to login your phone. Try to swipe left on your locked screen and see if your camera pops up. It works on my 7s that way.
    The fingerprint almost never works, and if I've had it in my shorts pocket it can be too wet to even punch in the security code or much less swipe the camera.

Maybe I need to learn how to do voice commands to siri. I'd probably annoy everybody with me though heh.
    2016 Fuse Pro 29/6Fattie

Elitest thrill junkie
    Use your go pro on your handlebar and set it to take pics every few seconds.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Truly not a good idea to leave your phone where it gets that sweaty. Salty sweat and anything with metal dont mix well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

US partner for Ravemen:
    www.rakclighting.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TNTall View Post
    The fingerprint almost never works, and if I've had it in my shorts pocket it can be too wet to even punch in the security code or much less swipe the camera.

Maybe I need to learn how to do voice commands to siri. I'd probably annoy everybody with me though heh.
    sandwich bag the phone

I am not sure what you think of wearing a Camelbak to carry your stuff or the Camelbak "fanny pack" you wear rearward. I use my Rogue to carry all my belongings. Using a bag could help you out! Do you have a dropper post? If not, you can also get a low profile saddle bag from Amazon for a few bucks.

I have a saddle bag and tried it out on my dropper post just to see what happens. All I heard was "farting" noises when I dropped! I plan on using the bag on my fitness bike.
    2016 Specialized Stumpjumper 650b Elite

fRIDEday makes me happy!
    My phone is in my camelbak when out on MTB rides. My road kit always has a sandwich bag included for sweaty rides or when it is raining. It keeps mud and sweat out of the phone and can usually be operated without even taking the phone out of the bag.

Oh yeah super cheap and every market has them. When out on a ride and you forget one go into a grocery store and grab one of those bags you would put an individual bagel in. I also have used doggy doo doo bags to protect my phone and as foot warmers on cold mornings. The nice thing about these items is when you are done using them they can get put in the trash instead of carrying around all day long.

mtbr member
    Buy a Blackberry.

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I usually carry mine in the camelbak too, but sometimes I want it handy to look at a map or something. I guess there's no easy fix. I'll try the sandwich bag.
    2016 Fuse Pro 29/6Fattie

High Desert MTBer
    I take my personal photographer along so he can take shots when necessary. If he gets too sweaty I fire him...
    It's all Here. Now.

nimble biker
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    I take my personal photographer along so he can take shots when necessary. If he gets too sweaty I fire him...
    you are a tough customer

In dog years, I'm dead.
    I use one of these attached to the shoulder-strap of my hydration pack.
    Timbuk2 3 Way Accessory Case 2015, Black, Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D8Z1AYI..._vxzNzb64SDKT4

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Put phone in camelbak. Go ride bike. Start there. Or try a handlebar bag. If needed.

Cycologist
    I had a problem with unlocking my previous phone when trail running, didn't want to unlock with the finger scanner. Current phone doesn't have a finger scanner (Motorola Pure Edition) and unlocks easily with keypad. So try unlocking with keypad instead of finger scanner (pretty sure that's an option).
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    I had a problem with unlocking my previous phone when trail running, didn't want to unlock with the finger scanner. Current phone doesn't have a finger scanner (Motorola Pure Edition) and unlocks easily with keypad. So try unlocking with keypad instead of finger scanner (pretty sure that's an option).
    It is an option, I've got the same phone the OP has and that's how I operate without sweating it.
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    So I shoot off all full of bravado, hit this wee booter - grabbing some air, then I land - leading into a greasy rut.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Put it in a Ziploc bag.
    EXODUX Jeff

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Jeff View Post
    Put it in a Ziploc bag.
    That idea is crazy, so crazy that it might just work.

Nah...its just crazy talk.