mtbr member
    Dec 2010

SWAT Compartment

You know what? This thing is worth the extra money for a carbon fiber frame. Not only do I hate carrying a pack but I also don't like those under-seat packs.

I can easily fit a tube, patches, plugs, a multi-tool, a small pump, and some small parts. And these things stay clean and dry.

It came with a little multi-tool which I have since removed and replaced in the compartment with a big multi-tool.

SWAT Compartment-img_2553-1-.jpg

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    I insulated mine to keep my burritos hot.

mtbr member
    It's no awesome strap, but it's alright.

weekdays..
    Dec 2009
    Awesome, always wanted the camelback in the downtube
    video=youtube;][/video]...

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Love the idea although I always wondered if it created a weak area in the frame. Anybody know of any frame failures in the area of the compartment?
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

since 4/10/2009
    Not everyone loves the concept (an oldie but a goodie from Drunkcyclist)

SWAT Compartment-swatbox.jpg

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    I think they sell those at Trader Joe's. I'ma have to get some for my SWAT box.

mtbr member
    "You're either SWAT or you're not" - Samuel L. Jackson, 2003.

weekdays..
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Love the idea although I always wondered if it created a weak area in the frame. Anybody know of any frame failures in the area of the compartment?
    If that flap is open, that box is gonna get banged around ; )
    video=youtube;][/video]...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Lol...some funny comments. I just picked up a Stumpjumper with the Swat compartment and really like it. It might no be for everyone, but I like the idea of having a tube and some air on the bike if I wanna gonout doe a quick ride. One less thing to forget at the house when Iím in a hurry.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerhill View Post
    If that flap is open, that box is gonna get banged around ; )
    Tee, Hee, Tee, Hee..
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    You know what? This thing is worth the extra money for a carbon fiber frame.
    Good, because now that's the only thing that makes the carbon better than the aluminum. When they put a hole in the downtube the carbon front triangle became the same weight and stiffness as the aluminum. Call it a heavy box, call it a flexy box, or call it an expensive box, so long as you like it enough to justify the upgrade to carbon.
    Keep the Country country.

bike rider
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Haven't heard of any. They added a lot of carbon to the downtube to make up for the hole.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    Good, because now that's the only thing that makes the carbon better than the aluminum. When they put a hole in the downtube the carbon front triangle became the same weight and stiffness as the aluminum. Call it a heavy box, call it a flexy box, or call it an expensive box, so long as you like it enough to justify the upgrade to carbon.
    Really? Interesting. My friend always complains how much lighter my '17 Enduro Elite is compared to his '17 Enduro Comp. I never tried to pick up both bikes, but now I might just weigh them both to see if it's all in his head. Unless of course the difference in forks is why mine might be lighter (Lyrik vs Yari), since I think everything else is just about identical.

EDIT: Went ahead and weighed them right now since I just so happen to have his bike in the garage. His bike weighed in at 33.6 pounds and mine is 35 pounds.

Contains no juice.
    How about a jewel box?
    At least you got a nice boat out of the deal.

DJ Trump

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I like it that much. It's worth the extra money. It's not one of those things I need to enjoy riding but after the first, maybe, three thousand bucks what really is? For the sheer pleasure of building a cool bike I have about six grand in my expedition bike when I could have easily built a decent bike for a couple of thousand.

That's why mountain biking is a hobby. I actually like spending money on it.