mtbr member

Swaping components from a 2004 Giant VT one to SC Heckler

I have a well built 2004 Giant VTone but would like to move the components over to a 2004 Santa Cruz heckler frame set. Are all the parts compatible? If not what will I be looking at replacing? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A lot could be different or it all could work . Things you need to check are the head tube leagth and diameter. Bottom bracket width ,seat tube diameter , rear wheel spacing . The chain and cables migth need to be replaced.

mtbr member
    Some of the parts will transfer ok, some will be frame dependent like seat collar, seat post, front mech, cables, hoses, etc.

The fork if the head tubes are the same type and lenght should be fine, you may need a head set.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. I was planning on a new headset and front mech but didn't think about the seat post and collar or cables and hoses....debating if this is worth the trouble. I like the Giant but the flexy rear end is bugging me and the frame is a smidgen small.

So do you think it is worth upgrading to the Heckler?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLakey View Post
    As a former VT owner I would say go for it, there's improvement regarding flex but both bikes are close in terms of performance. I loved my VT but sold it because was bit by the SS bug and it became a dust collector, later on really regreted selling it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the post, I do like the way the VT performs other than the flexy rear end and it being a little cramped....plus I have always wanted a Heckler

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Is the flexyness new?Have you checked the bearing/bushing ,pivot points ? What about the wheel bearing /hub?

mtbr member
    New bearings on the pivot points and the front and rear hubs have bearings less than a month old, thanks for the advice though. I really noticed it the other day when coming down a swooping corner, I looked down and was amazed at the side to side movement in the rear. It spooked me enough to stop and check the bike over and it has stuck in my mind ever sense.

In Transit
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ACLakey View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I was planning on a new headset and front mech but didn't think about the seat post and collar or cables and hoses....debating if this is worth the trouble. I like the Giant but the flexy rear end is bugging me and the frame is a smidgen small.

At most, you are talking about $100 worth of parts, including the front derailleur and headset. Seems like its worth it for a bike that you've always wanted in the right size.