Mulleticious

Suspension Seatposts

Looking to put a suspension seatpost on my hardtail to make it less hard... ideally it would also have a bit of "layback" on it due to my riding style. Anyone have any advice as to which is the best product - for serious trails?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spencerfrater1
    Looking to put a suspension seatpost on my hardtail to make it less hard... ideally it would also have a bit of "layback" on it due to my riding style. Anyone have any advice as to which is the best product - for serious trails?
    Cane Creek Thudbuster.

Mulleticious
    Thanks. The "LT" or the "ST" (ST seems more compact) ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks. The "LT" or the "ST" (ST seems more compact) ?
    Depends upon how much travel you want. Personally, I'd go with the LT.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    how often are you riding down really jarring terrain sitting down?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tomsmoto
    how often are you riding down really jarring terrain sitting down?
    seriously. If you're riding down majorly bumpy trails and such while seated, you're doing it wrong.
    :wq

mtbr member

thumbs up for the thudbuster, but

Over the past two years, I went from FS to HT to thudbuster and now back to FS (anthem). My experience with the thudbuster LT is that it will reduce HT fatigue by reducing trail chatter to a minimum. The thudbuster is much more effective in muting bumps than low pressure high volume tires, but it is not as effective as a 3 inch rear suspension, You will still have to get off the saddle while careening down a rocky decent and line choice will still have to be intelligent.

Read the some of the reviews on mtbr.

My only complaint was the the rocking motion of the thudbuster moves your pelvis away from the handlebar and can rapidly change the hip and back angle. This kind of pinching motion led to a sore back for the first couple of weeks

mtbr member
    I liked the thudbuster I had several years ago. It is great for those stretches of trail where you would rather sit down than lift off the seat for a minor root, bump, or rock. It isn't made for bombing down rough trails seated. It is designed to handle the normal bumps in the trail. I thought it made the ride more comfy and reduced most of my lower back pain.

On MTBR hiatus :(
    Yes, the Thuddy is the best of the suspension posts. The two flavors, ST and LT, are really dependent of your preferences. I've compared the two of them in this post:

Thudbuster ST - Better Than the Real Thing?

Although the Thudbusters work really well, as the others have stated, they are no substitue for full suspension and are not for lazy riders who would rather sit down on rough terrain (the LT will launch you over the bars if you remain seated on a hard hit).

But, for fast flowing trails with mild hits and for choppy climbs, they're solid performers.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

Stay thirsty my friends
    I find a thicker seat more effective and a lot lighter, here is a really cushy one.

BG comfort plus with gel inserts.

Mulleticious
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedub.Nate
    Yes, the Thuddy is the best of the suspension posts. The two flavors, ST and LT, are really dependent of your preferences. I've compared the two of them in this post:

Thudbuster ST - Better Than the Real Thing?

Although the Thudbusters work really well, as the others have stated, they are no substitue for full suspension and are not for lazy riders who would rather sit down on rough terrain (the LT will launch you over the bars if you remain seated on a hard hit).

But, for fast flowing trails with mild hits and for choppy climbs, they're solid performers.
    Thanks for your excellent review Speedub.

I do have a full bouncer for the serious Welsh trails that comes out twice a month, but with the mud where we live it would be very expensive to ride that all the time. Hence I have a steel hardtail which I absolutely love - a Rock Lobster frame with a Reba Team fork and full XT kit - but when doing the summer-hardened, horseshoe-pocked bridleways it can get a bit rough on an old back injury.

My Raceface Deus seat post has just broken (didn't last long by the way - I don't rate it very highly) so I now have an excellent opportunity to get the Thudbuster. And it's going to be the ST because your review was spot on in terms of my needs - I don't want plush, I'm riding a hardtail, I just want the edge taken off the jarring small hits. Of course I'm out of the saddle for the really rough stuff - but you can't see all the small jarring hits especially doing night riding.

Thanks Speedub - very useful

Mulleticious

Thudbuster rules!

Speedub, KevinB - thank you stacks.

I received the Thudbuster ST today and have just returned from a great ride. This thing has surpassed all my expectations. I was scared it would be too spongy and kill the feel of my steel hardtail, but not at all. It just takes the edge off the hard bits you're not quite ready for, making the ride much more comfortable, whilst maintaining all the twichy fun of the hardtail.

In my book this is the product of the year, design and performance-wise. As for durability, we will have to see, but it looks tough enough. It comes with three different grade rubber inserts, so in coarse terms it is even adjustable (3-settings). I found I was going into corners faster for some reason. I guess it expands your comfort zone a bit.

Extremely happy with this class product. Well done Cane Creek.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    In my book this is the product of the year, design and performance-wise. As for durability, we will have to see, but it looks tough enough.
    I have a buddy who has an LT (or an earlier LT-equivalent). My understanding is that the elastomer springs degrade over time and need to be replaced periodically. That said, I live in central Arizona where it's hot and dry. The springs may fair better in cooler, wetter climates.