mtbr member
    Jun 2013

SURVEY: Making MTN bikes easier to store & transport

Hello! If there were an easy way to help with transportation and storage of mountain bikes, would you be interested in it?

I run a bike component start-up in the Seattle area that needs feedback from mountain bike owners before distributing a Swiss invention in the US that makes all bikes easier to store securely and transport. There's nothing to promote yet, but there might easily be in the near future.

This folding stem has already passed EN 14766 certification testing and is in use by a couple of police departments in Europe. It just don't know yet if there's enough of a US market to invest in manufacturing for US distribution.

Could you please take the linked survey, and if you feel it is of wider interest, forward on to others who may not be in this forum?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BikeStorage2

Thanks,

Bob Forgrave

mtbr member
    You mean like one of these?

"Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Your question #3 does not have a radio button for "other". Survey will not complete without it. I had to check one of the answers but if you read my answer to #2 you will see it should be other.

mtbr member
    Ditto to likeaboss' comment.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well...a cable-lock certainly can't compete with a beastly-strong lock like that! It's more for when you don't want to carry 10 lbs of steel links on a short ride and end up having your bike stolen. The strongest locksets are only as good as our weakest moments...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Good feedback about question #3. I can't edit a survey in progress, but your comments in "Other" will allow me to adjust the results of that question accordingly afterwards. Many thanks.

Bob

AZ
    banned
    What prevents "me" from unbolting it and carrying the bike off?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Forgrave View Post
    Hello! If there were an easy way to help with transportation and storage of mountain bikes, would you be interested in it?

I run a bike component start-up in the Seattle area that needs feedback from mountain bike owners before distributing a Swiss invention in the US that makes all bikes easier to store securely and transport. There's nothing to promote yet, but there might easily be in the near future.

This folding stem has already passed EN 14766 certification testing and is in use by a couple of police departments in Europe. It just don't know yet if there's enough of a US market to invest in manufacturing for US distribution.

Could you please take the linked survey, and if you feel it is of wider interest, forward on to others who may not be in this forum?

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/BikeStorage2

Thanks,

Bob Forgrave
    A "folding stem"?

How does that function for the rigors of mountain biking out on the trail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post

You could swap the stem I suppose, but that might take more than a couple minutes. I think the easier route is to just cut the cable, which can be done in a second.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

EN 14766 certification testing

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    A "folding stem"?

How does that function for the rigors of mountain biking out on the trail?
    The answer to this is in the rigors of the EN 14766 certification testing that is designed specifically for mountain bikes. Technically, it's in newtons, but the layman's equivalent for the stem test is the weight of a bag of cement dropped on each handlebar 50,000 times (100,000 total cycles). If there's the least flex or slop, the stem fails.

Good standard to know about!

Bob

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    TwoHeadsBre had it right. 80% of all bike thefts are thefts of convenience--I saw something I liked, nobody was looking, so I grabbed it and rode it away. This locks the bars parallel to the bike so the bike is unrideable, and optionally had a cable for attaching the stem to a fixed object. But the stem can be removed.

To do this, you'll need an allen wrench in two places, followed by cutting or unlinking four cables that attach the handlebars to the bike. If someone is cutting anyway, they'll likely just hack/cut through the cable. Even then, the bike can't just be ridden off, because the bars are still locked sideways. So while not completely theftproof, it addresses 80% or more of the cases really well. You ALWAYS have your lock with you.

mtbr member
    Thestem is locked sideways but can you still steer? I could easily ride a bike with the stem turned sideways as long as I could still steer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    Thestem is locked sideways but can you still steer? I could easily ride a bike with the stem turned sideways as long as I could still steer.
    It's locked to the steerer tub in the folded position, so technically steerable. But amazingly hard to do, even for no-handed riders, with that handlebar between your knees and the brake handle way out in front. Not the way to zip away with a new bike, and a great way to crash if stealing a bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Seems like an over engineered and inadequate solution to bike theft (not to mention that, as a startup product, it'll likely not be available in many lengths/angles). I've witnessed a bike theft and the guy with the giant cable snips didn't walk up and ride off with the bike, he jumped out of a pickup, snipped the cable, tossed the bike in the back and drove off (so the tricky stem/wheel dis-orientation here wouldn't have mattered). I simply don't ever let my nice mtn bike out my sight when in public. I have an old rigid mtb for cruising, grocery runs etc. that is worth about the same as the U-lock I use to protect it.

mtbr member
    This sounds like a viable solution for storage but there should be a model that has none of the extra weight for the locking part. I never leave my bike somewhere where it needs to be locked. I have a beater bike for that and I will not buy a $100+ component for that bike.

I would also prefer a stem that has a quick release to remove the handle bar altogether so it could be moved back in line with the top tube and not take up space sticking out in front of the bike. I plan to engineer something like this for my bike.

mtbr member
    This has no purpose for any trail ridden mtn bike. Most high end bikes will never be left anywhere they can be stolen. If they are this lock will not prevent wheel theft or other theft.

As for storage you can always remove the front wheel turn the handlebars to get the same effect. I do that all the time if I want to transport my mtn bike inside my SUV for in increase security.

Some people will buy it, but it is no way revolutionary.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Hey ... Let's use a survey to advertise a future product on MTBR's forums.

Wanting to think this is legit, but also thinking what I just wrote.

The $120 U.S. expectation price ... Best of luck with that.

The product is a solution to a problem that has already been solved for less $$

T.W.O.
    This survey is not so much for most mountain bikers. I don't know many riders who would store a bike at the destination, most would get there and ride it, then finish and go home. This product is more valuable to commuters and road riding.

Price is not really the issues as long as I can have the same weight, quality, and performance I don't mind paying extra and $120 is not that unreasonable as long as they work.