Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by radnur22 View Post
    I learned to adjust and work on a bike after the spoke incident. Like I said, I had no intentions of bringing my bike in for them to adjust.
    So, in other words the owner was spot on. I give kudos to the owner for knowing exactly what customer you are. Why would he explain things to someone who already has stated they know how to do everything. I would not explain it either, usually only do that for noobs and find experienced riders get annoyed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I see the problem here. You did not properly cultivate your relationship with your LBS.

Good customer service isn't just for anyone. Read around on the interwebz a bit. There is a whole method for cultivating a good relationship with your LBS. You need to put some work into this, you can't just walk in the door and expect to be treated like a valued customer!

First you need to take the afternoon off work so you can go in when they aren't busy, this is important and I am sure this is why you were snubbed a bit when you picked up your new bike, if you had been the only guy in there at say 2:00 in the afternoon it would have gone better.

Second, you did not bring beer or coffee for the guys did you? That's important, coffee if you go in before noon, beer in the afternoon. This will put you on the good side of the employees.

Third, you need to spend time hanging out, best done after following rule two. Talk to the guys, learn their names, maybe join them on some rides, become friends. This will give you preferential treatment over other customers if you do have to violate rule one for some reason. Again probably something yeti guy had going for him.

Fourth, you have to remember that the LBS is providing a valuable service to the community, but is still made up of people who are only human. They may miss the damage to a few spokes or may forget to set your derailleur stops, but that's OK, everyone misses things some times, just come back in off hours with beer and have them try again, because in the scheme of things really whats another $15?

Now if you will just follow these simple rules of bike shop etiquette then you will find that you are treated like Norm from Cheers, you walk into the shop your greeted by name and your handed a beer while you discuss whatever it is that is on your mind that day.

mtbr member
    Do you expect top level service from Burger King or McDonalds? This is usually a higher pay scale then what most shop pay and there is not enough margins to pay the employees more. Seriously do not expect any level of service from a LBS when they really could make more staying at home collecting welfare. Its expensive item, I get that, but a $8.00 an hour employee you only get so much out of and if you get more its a bonus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dan4jeepin View Post
    Sounds like you're expecting way to much out of a shop.

I bought a bike and it had problems a year later it's your fault! why didn't you teach me how to be a bike mechanic cause I bought a bike! why don't you fix everything for free!

Would you like some cheese with your wine.
    I'd expect better customer service myself after dropping a few grand, based solely on his report. There's a shop in town that offers a similar vibe that he describes, and I haven't patronized them in a decade. Another local shop where the staff are approachable, knowledgeable and patient gets the majority of my LBS business.
    Life will pound away where the light don't shine, son...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Warning to OP - Reporting a legitimate complaint about service from a LBS on this site will generate an immediate and ongoing campaign to label you a whiner, complainer, too demanding customer, etc. It is utterly amazing how consistently people on this site defend crummy service delivered in bike shops. As if bike shops, somehow, spin in their own special place of the business universe, with different rules, much more complex problems and near impossible demands to meet. The ugly truth is that a bike shop is an incredibly simple business (simple does not equal easy) and it is no easier or more difficult to deliver great customer service. Having lived in a lot of different places over the years I've met a lot of bike shop owners and WOW, does quality ever vary. Luckily, the town I live in now has a number of GREAT bike shops but I can truthfully say, I've come in contact, over the years with some of the poorest run businesses I've ever seen in bike shops.
    Are you really sure about that?

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyWilliams View Post
    Good customer service isn't just for anyone. ... you can't just walk in the door and expect to be treated like a valued customer!
    A lot of shops actually have this attitude. Which is exactly why I haven't bought a bike from one in almost 20 years and will only use them for my convenience if I'm in a hurry or something is wildly marked down. Never understood WTF it is with so many bike shop people that makes them think shitty service and snobby attitudes make for good business. Sorry, I'll get my parts for half the price and often with better tech support online and let some other sucker take the MSRP hit on a bike that loses near half it's value soon as it leaves the building.
    Buying bikes retail is plain silly.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    ... you can't just walk in the door and expect to be treated like a valued customer!
    Wrong... (in this case)

Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    I'd expect better customer service myself after dropping a few grand, based solely on his report. There's a shop in town that offers a similar vibe that he describes, and I haven't patronized them in a decade. Another local shop where the staff are approachable, knowledgeable and patient gets the majority of my LBS business.
    Correct!
    Yes- if I drop a coupla thousand dollars in my LBS, I'd #$%*# well BETTER be treated like a valued customer. Anybody can buy a bike off the internet- THEY have to give me a reason to patronize them.
    Certainly, I will try to cultivate a relationship with the LBS, but there are waaaay too many LBS's who seem to think their s#*t don't stink. Those shops deserve to sink. If people don't have the option of a good LBS, they're going to turn to the internet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I dunno what's going on in that post. Apparently you don't know how to pull the chain out of the spokes or turn a screw driver? Good luck on the trails without that skillset. I guess you really are supporting your lbs.....? Can someone sum up what he's talking about for me?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    You shouldn't have to do any more to 'cultivate' a relationship with a retail operation than walk through their door with a wallet. Far as I'm concerned, from that point on, if the whole relationship isn't based on the shop going out of their way take good care of me, the customer, then I have zero use for them. Imagine a restaurant where the SOP was to give people substandard grub and shitty service until they came back enough times and spent enough money to be deemed worthy of better? Please...
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    A lot of shops actually have this attitude. Which is exactly why I haven't bought a bike from one in almost 20 years and will only use them for my convenience if I'm in a hurry or something is wildly marked down. Never understood WTF it is with so many bike shop people that makes them think shitty service and snobby attitudes make for good business. Sorry, I'll get my parts for half the price and often with better tech support online and let some other sucker take the MSRP hit on a bike that loses near half it's value soon as it leaves the building.
    Buying bikes retail is plain silly.
    Spot on.

I save enough money not dealing with the LBS to afford pretty much any tool that I need to work on my bike.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

I like bikes.
    I see the problem here. You did not properly cultivate your relationship with your LBS.

Good customer service isn't just for anyone. Read around on the interwebz a bit. There is a whole method for cultivating a good relationship with your LBS. You need to put some work into this, you can't just walk in the door and expect to be treated like a valued customer!

First you need to take the afternoon off work so you can go in when they aren't busy, this is important and I am sure this is why you were snubbed a bit when you picked up your new bike, if you had been the only guy in there at say 2:00 in the afternoon it would have gone better.

Second, you did not bring beer or coffee for the guys did you? That's important, coffee if you go in before noon, beer in the afternoon. This will put you on the good side of the employees.

Third, you need to spend time hanging out, best done after following rule two. Talk to the guys, learn their names, maybe join them on some rides, become friends. This will give you preferential treatment over other customers if you do have to violate rule one for some reason. Again probably something yeti guy had going for him.

Fourth, you have to remember that the LBS is providing a valuable service to the community, but is still made up of people who are only human. They may miss the damage to a few spokes or may forget to set your derailleur stops, but that's OK, everyone misses things some times, just come back in off hours with beer and have them try again, because in the scheme of things really whats another $15?

Now if you will just follow these simple rules of bike shop etiquette then you will find that you are treated like Norm from Cheers, you walk into the shop your greeted by name and your handed a beer while you discuss whatever it is that is on your mind that day.
    I hope you are joking....

If you purchase ANYTHING you should be a valued customer. That is a ridiculous statement. The last thing any customer should be doing is kissing ass to a shop to keep them in business. If I have to spend my time(time is money) at a local bike shop to waste time BS'ing and playing politics, then I'll just buy online. It is cheaper and easier to buy online. Local shops should focus on making the customer happy. THAT is the only way they will stay in business with the internet lurking over their shoulder.
    Karakoram...ZS44, X-Fusion, Freq i23, Tioga's, Shadow & XT,Shim Hydro 180/160, MG-1 pedals & more.

Trail Prospector

Re: supporting my LBS

^ He's not kidding.. Many shops expect their customers to wear the brown lipstick.:sly:

(tapa)
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    You shouldn't have to do any more to 'cultivate' a relationship with a retail operation than walk through their door with a wallet. Far as I'm concerned, from that point on, if the whole relationship isn't based on the shop going out of their way take good care of me, the customer, then I have zero use for them. Imagine a restaurant where the SOP was to give people substandard grub and shitty service until they came back enough times and spent enough money to be deemed worthy of better? Please...
    Wrong.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    ^ He's not kidding.. Many shops expect their customers to wear the brown lipstick.:sly:

(tapa)
    Brown lipstick in the corporate suite? I hear it's coming back with a vengeance...

29ers Forever
    Also, I try to get to know the guys at my LBS. I do this by going in a lot, and by going on group rides. I feel that if the guys at the LBS know you better, they'll treat you better. (deals on maintenance, ordering parts). My favourite shop was able to get a Sid for the warranty on my Recon silver.
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er serious mountain bike
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- play mountain bike

MTBR Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Also, I try to get to know the guys at my LBS. I do this by going in a lot, and by going on group rides. I feel that if the guys at the LBS know you better, they'll treat you better. (deals on maintenance, ordering parts). My favourite shop was able to get a Sid for the warranty on my Recon silver.
    Any shop that treats a customer better based on frequency of visits or attending group ride events, is probably not a shop that I would patronize. The truly good bike shops treat everyone the same and will go out of their way to accommodate any customer. There are a couple of these types of shops in my area, and even though they rarely see me since I do my own maintenance, they still treat me right.

The warranty upgrade has very little, if anything, to do with the shop that made the call. I've warrantied several RS forks and upgrades were kind of the norm.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Guess maybe I've been fortunate here in Denver. Most of the LBS's are good in terms of customer service; friendly and helpful. Please note, I am NOT talking about Bicycle Village but places like Alpha Cycles, Campus Cycles (both locations), and Pedal.

I've been around customers, in various roles, for over 20 years and definitely know what constitutes good customer service versus not-so-good. I'll pay retail and support these LBS's because, from my experiences, they've earned my business.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydogg View Post

If you purchase ANYTHING you should be a valued customer. That is a ridiculous statement. The last thing any customer should be doing is kissing ass to a shop to keep them in business. If I have to spend my time(time is money) at a local bike shop to waste time BS'ing and playing politics, then I'll just buy online. It is cheaper and easier to buy online. Local shops should focus on making the customer happy. THAT is the only way they will stay in business with the internet lurking over their shoulder.
    I was kidding around with my post, this is actually pretty much the opposite of my views. However I have seen these sentiments not just strewn about the forums of the interwebz but as recommendations in print! I wish I could remember where I saw the article but I did read a print article that outlined basically the same things I did in my earlier post.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by radnur22 View Post
    I told the owner I would think about it. Later that day I called back to make a deal and it was struck. I went back to the LBS, gave the owner cash and told him I would pick the bike up in two days.
    how good of a deal did you get?
    If you got a low low price sometimes you get low low service?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by habsfan View Post
    I stopped after the first paragraph.
    just the first sentence for me...should I have read more?
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: supporting my LBS

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtydogg View Post

Your sarcasm detection is very strong.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Whether it's fixing my bicycle or my Porsche, If I want something done right, I'll generally do it myself.

If there is a task that is impractical to DIY, for instance an infrequent job where expensive tools are required, I try to have it addressed by someone with whom I have some good rapport.

I was recently annoyed when my LBS charged me $10 for the 12 seconds it took to knock the headset cups out of a frame (didn't want to use a screwdriver, and my park tool was in storage). I don't mind paying for a mechanic's time, but having just bought an expensive pump and helmet there recently, a small favor would have been nice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I dunno what's going on in that post. Apparently you don't know how to pull the chain out of the spokes or turn a screw driver? Good luck on the trails without that skillset. I guess you really are supporting your lbs.....? Can someone sum up what he's talking about for me?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    It is said that if one doesn't know what he is talking about, one should not speak. If you can't read, I will not sum up what has be typed. However, the last time my chain broke on the trail, I took out my chain tool, punched out the broken link and mended the chain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Duderino View Post
    how good of a deal did you get?
    If you got a low low price sometimes you get low low service?
    I didn't want to delve into that, but since you asked...I called the owner on the phone and asked if he was firm on the price including converting to tubeless. He said if I had cash, he would drop it down by $150. I don't know if he was bluffing at that time by offering me something that he thought I wouldn't have and still looking like he was willing to deal with me, but I said you have a deal. When I went in 1 hour later to pay in cash, he looked aloof, like he didn't expect a person like me (unshaven minority where 88.5% of the population are caucasian, driving a run down 1997 Mercury Tracer) to pay cash for a bike. In fact, he was very standoffish and almost cold. Far from a owner that made a sale and potential customer for life.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    To sum it up, I got a Camber 29er at a decent price and I am really enjoying riding it. In the end, that's all that really counts. On a final note, I will not respond to this post anymore. If you decide to waste your negative energy on it, that's your prerogative. Happy riding!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2