thats right living legend

Super Sonic Vision...

I just got back from a ride in which I got caught out in the dark. That hasn't happened in a while, but my super sonic jet fighter eye sight kicked in, and I ended up owning the night.

But for real doe! I was watching that History channel "Dog Fight" show last night, and it was on the Israeli Egyptian/Jordanian war or what ever. Supposedly the worlds top living fighter ace is a former Israeli pilot "they're supposed to be very good" but this guy has some unbelievable vision.

The show said that the average fighter pilot can identify "the enemy" from 8-12 miles away. I don't know, but I'm assuming that's got to be pretty awesome since fighter pilots vision is required to be near better than perfect. But this friggin "worlds best" fighter pilot from Israel could according to that show identify an enemy fighter from a WHOPPING 24 miles away!.. That's virtually a super power.

"El Whatever"
    Two things helping the guy...

1.- Superhuman sight
    2.- Lots of frigging practice!!

Those guys down there get to actually have dogfights on a regular basis (I'm not saying every day or every each other day, but you catch my drift) and identify targets from a long distance becomes almost second nature.

Supposedly also, India had the best fighters before the introduction of the F-22... In some dogfighting training between Indian Air Force (or whatever their name is) and the USAF using the Sukhoi 33 (or was it Su-30??) against the F-15, the Hindus pwn3d the USAF by a nice margin.

Now the USAF has the upper hand again, but God knows for how long. The Russians need money and they're selling whatever they can to other countries, regarding weaponry.

Back on topic... It's also a matter of practice. One would suppose that a Formula 1 or any top racing category driver needs a 20/20 sight... Well, some use glasses. Some even wear actually prescription glasses under the helmet.

It's that they are so used to going at those speeds and such, that their sight gets also used to it.

Haven't you noticed cyclists are better drivers generally??
    It's all in the eye-hand coordination.

At any rate... that guy is off the charts for sure. 24 miles?? Gimme a break!!
    Check my Site

He's pretty old now, but they said "he was gifted" with this kind of vision, so I'm assuming you've just got to be born with it. I've heard of incredible eyesight, but NOTHING like this guy!

He said he can guaranty every fighter he ever shot down, he saw them first.

And remember that's "identify" as in he can see them, and what kind of jet it is.

Well, in his day I assume.

mtbr member
    I saw that episode.
    Excellent show.
    The pilot's name was Epstein.
    One of the other Israeli pilots who was interviewed stated that Epstein also had an excellent ability to use and manage the plane's momentum/energy to his advantage.
    And besides all that, the guy was just a gifted pilot.
    Very cool episode.
    Lenny

"El Whatever"
    I've watch and episode or two... But my wife doesn't let me watch the THC.. she says it's too boring and she's always watching movies.

I enjoy that show and a bunch of others on that channel.

I don't like to watch TV, but I could spend a full day watching THC or Discovery.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I dont know. that just just doesnt sound right. Even with perfect vision it would be very hard to be able to see a commercial airliner (which are considerably larger) from 7 miles away. It would be nearly impossible to actually identify what type plane it was.

mtbr member
    I just want to point out that most people have supersonic vision. With light traveling faster than sound and everything.

I'm skeptical of 24 miles and being able to identify it at that distance. Also, he might have super vision, but he had a heart problem according to Wikipedia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jareth
    I just want to point out that most people have supersonic vision. With light traveling faster than sound and everything.

I'm skeptical of 24 miles and being able to identify it at that distance. Also, he might have super vision, but he had a heart problem according to Wikipedia.
    I just thought "super sonic" sounded cool.

Yes. He was denied entry into the pilot training program for having a heart murmur his first try. So he became a paratrooper with something like 500 jumps. He said it made him very comfortable in the air "I guess knowing he could just jump out anytime". I wouldn't call a heart murmur a heart problem? It's kinda like back when they wouldn't let people into the army with flat feet.. just perception.

Maybe at like 40 yrs old, but not at 19 or whatever.

And by "identify the enemy" all he would need to do is identify it as first a fighter, than not one of his own which can prob be done by silhouette. Not by like reading "Mig" or "Enemy" written on the side of the plane.

For those that are skeptical I might remid you that these guy's go through allll kinds of constant testing to determine these kinds of things. And for the record it is my belief that "in general" that the best fighter pilots in the world are easily the USAF. By an astrinomical margin.
    Last edited by blackagness; 08-19-2007 at 06:27 AM.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    And by "identify the enemy" all he would need to do is identify it as first a fighter, than not one of his own which can prob be done by silhouette.

(Just joking.... )
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp

Supposedly also, India had the best fighters before the introduction of the F-22... In some dogfighting training between Indian Air Force (or whatever their name is) and the USAF using the Sukhoi 33 (or was it Su-30??) against the F-15, the Hindus pwn3d the USAF by a nice margin.
    I'd be careful about conclusions from those exercises without first knowing the rules of engagement.

For example, in the 2004 exercises:

1. None of the participating American aircraft had the latest AESA radar.

2. At India's request, the U.S. agreed to mock combat at 3-to-1 odds against them.

3.The USAF agreed not to use the full range of capabilities of simulated long-range AIM-120 missiles. They were not allowed to use the active radar capability of the AIM-120 and the simulated missiles were limited in range.

4. The Indians also had a simulated AWACS platform and were allowed the use of simulated active radar missiles such as the AA-12 and the French Mica, unlike the USAF F-15s in the exercise

In 2005:

1. The rules of engagement were all within visual range. The USAF usually avoids visual range air-to-air combat if possible since experience with modern fighters with well trained pilots equipped with off bore sight dog fight missiles and helmet mounted sights tend to commit mutual suicide when they engage in visual range combat.

2. The USAF F-16s were not allowed to use data links to get info from AWACS as they usually train and were limited to voice only communication (the way the Indian Air Force trains). As a result, in Cope India 2005 the USAF F-16s were not using their primary air-to-air training to engage the IAF.

Now, this is not meant to take anything away from the skill and ability of the Indian Air Force. U.S. pilots admitted that they did have problems with the simulated active missile threat and don't normally train against such threats. They also admit they underestimated the training and tactics of the Indian pilots.

Quite frankly, more than a few observers have stated that they believe the real reason the USAF was willing to do this was to "scare" the US congress into support for more F-22 purchases.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by zyzbot
    Quite frankly, more than a few observers have stated that they believe the real reason the USAF was willing to do this was to "scare" the US congress into support for more F-22 purchases.
    Thanks for the clarification, man... Surely full engagement would have lead different results, then. Yet many sites and mags were talking about how good the IAF Su's were.

I have also read the thing of "scaring the Congress"... But I doubt congressmen have not military advisors

Maybe more to "convince" the average Joe that taxes are better put towards 5th gen fighters than to the Congressmen.
    Check my Site