mtbr member

Suggestions for Kid's Mountain Bikes

So, the kids will be getting out of school soon and I want/need to buy them both new bikes. My son is 7 and my daughter turns 6 in about 2 weeks. They have both expressed interest in mountain bikes since my wife and I both ride. I am looking for suggestions on bikes that won't break the bank, but that won't "break" after 6 months of use. We all know that kids can be hard on things, so I am looking for durability as well as value, if that's possible these days haha. Anyone have experience, positive or negative, with specific kid's mountain bikes?? Any that I should lean towards, or stay far away from? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Do you have bike money? Plenty choices on 20" and 24" from almost all the major players; Diamondback, Specialized, Trek, Kona, Giant come to mind but they can get as expensive as the grownups bikes.

Check the Families and Riding with Kids subforum, plenty of threads regarding the same topic.

mtbr member
    Yes, I have bike money. I didn't think to look in that forum. Thanks for the heads up.

mtbr member
    I got my 8 yr old a 24" DB Octane (or something like that) for Easter. He likes it quite a bit, and is getting the shifting figured out pretty well by now. Can't speak as to durability, but it is a steel frame and weighs more than any of my bikes! It was about $210 at Sports Authority. Probably not the "best" bike in the range, but if he takes to it and actually likes riding trails, I will be happy to shell out for a Hotrock or something with better parts, and his sister can learn to shift on the Octane.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    I was looking at the Octane. It seems to be right in the price range of what I was thinking of spending. I am of the same school of thought, if they like it, then I will start spending some money.

mtbr member
    Yeah, he's pretty happy with the Octane. I was a little worried that he would rather have a bmx style bike like most of his friends, but he has taken to it quickly.

One note, my 8 yr old is pretty tall for his age -- maybe 53 or 54" -- and the 24" is just barely fitting him. Of course, he likes to be able to reach the ground from the seat, but he is on the very tips of his toes to do so (he could probably afford to raise the seat an inch to stretch his legs out when pedaling, but he's not quite ready for that yet).
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    This is an old DB Octane that my kid used to race with, at the time of the pic most of the OE components had been replaced with the exception of the frame and headset, The hubs and mechs were LX, Deore cranks and shifters, RST Capa 24 fork, Avid Archrivals brakes, MonkeyLite carbon bar, LP carbon seat post, Sette saddle, etc. It can get pretty expensive once the kids bikes get upgreditis. Don't remember what happened to that bike (prolly sold it) but was solid until he outgrew it.

Last edited by DiRt DeViL; 04-25-2013 at 08:20 AM.

Trailhead Poseur
    My daughter rides a 20" K2 something-or-other I picked up from Sports Authority. It's a decent bike, aluminum frame and the fork and components are all identical to what comes on the Specialized Hotrock, though the frame is probably a bit heavier.

Something to look out for are the controls. I ended up replacing the brake calipers and levers with Avids and Jagwire cables, because the stock parts were garbage. Also swapped the gripshift for a set of trigger shifters because my daughter didn't have enough hand strength to downshift.

I also dropped a couple of pounds off the bike by swapping the steel handlebar and stem with aluminum parts, and replacing the stock tractor tires with lighter tires and lightweight tubes. I'll probably also change the seat and steel seatpost, there's a lot of weight to be saved there, too. I don't mind putting a bit into upgrades for this bike because her little brother will probably inherit it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I really like the Specialized kids bikes. In our family stable we have a 16", 20" and I just got my 8 year old a 24" hardtail with 21 sps. and front suspension. He loves it. A tad big for him, but he is growing into it. He is starting to learn the finer points of trail riding. My younger one is now in transition with the 16" to the 20". These bikes are very well put together and light compared to others. All have Al frames and good components. Honestly, if you can afford it, I would highly recomend them.