mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Suggestions for improving carbon fiber frames.

Carbon fiber frames are stronger and lighter than comparable metal frame but these are the potential drawbacks since epoxy resin medium is soft and it is prone to cracking under heavy loads. Also a deep gash will make the frame utterly useless.

I think manufactures should use stable and strong resins like Lexan. Lexan is stable and almost unbreakable would complement the carbon fiber weave nicely. The surface should be treated or wrapped with the same materials used in screen protectors and scratch proof sunglasses that resist damage from bullets and even abrasions from an industrial abrasive diamond drills or sanders.

I this a idea attainable or just fantasy. Also I want to hear your suggestions on this topic.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'd like to see some carbon/Kevlar hybrid frames.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Epoxy has a tyoical tensile strength of about 11,000 psi and a stretch to failure of about 10%. What you buy in a syringe dispenser at the Home Despot is a whole 'nuther.

The real problem isn't any deficiency in the properties of CF or epoxy. The problem was that you can't just take an aluminum tubing frame design and substitute CF and expect success. Now that the learning curve is behind us, the next hurdle is to convince people that having a frame a pound lighter isn't really noticeable. And at some point a flexy frame will be slower than a stiff one that's a pound heavier.

There's a video over at Santa Cruz [ in Joe's Corner?] that is really instructive about the properties of CF. And yes, they find creative ways to break it. Kaboom.

mtbr member