mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Suggestions on a dream 29er ti hardtail?

Well, I work for a bicyle manufacturer, and I am in the process of building a XC oriented titanium 29er and even though I am playing with some thoughts, everything is pretty much open, so I would love to hear your thoughts on how you'd want it.

Some questions include: geometry, such as head tube angle(69v71? etc.), chain stay length, wheel base, etc.; BB type, headset type, drop out type, plated right chain stay? Brakes? Thru-Axle? Curved tubing? Hydroformed tubing? Ovalized? Diameters?

I would encourage you guys to consider this a design feast, and I will report back the process and final product with lots of pictures.

Thanks everybody in advance for your input.
    Last edited by threefire; 10-28-2012 at 09:31 PM.

AZ
    banned
    Just get something off the rack, something that fits.

spec4life???..smh...
    honestly I wouldnt go custom until you know (or at least have a good feel for) the answers to all those questions.

Personally, I have a feel for certain things such as head tube angle, however i just dont know enough about the effects of geometry to sit down and plan out a bike that is perfect for me and my desires (which is what you are doing with a custom). Go out demo some bikes, see what feels good and go with that for now. 10 bikes or so down the line i figure you start to figure out what you like and what you dont...then its time to go custom to dial it in...

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for your comment. Guess I wasn't clear enough on what I am looking for. I already have 2-3 design drawings in front of me, but I'd like to get a better feel on real world consumer demand and trends. Many of the choices are actually philosophical (head tube angle, for example) so it's important to know what's popular and in demand.

I did go back and revised my original post slightly to make it clearer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Still not clear on what you are looking for ,is the bike for you or are you looking make one to sell?

Beer Me!
    Threefire your posts are sort of odd. Can you give us some more background on who you are? you seem to know a lot about the industry, and claim to work in it, but then want to know the "trends" for Head tube angle? something like this specific geometry element translates directly into the feel of the bike (like a twitch cross country vs a stable all mountain) not whats popular. I guess I am just confused...
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by threefire View Post
    Well, I work for a bicyle manufacturer, and I am in the process of building a XC oriented titanium 29er and even though I am playing with some thoughts, everything is pretty much open, so I would love to hear your thoughts on how you'd want it.

Some questions include: geometry, such as head tube angle(69v71? etc.), chain stay length, wheel base, etc.; BB type, headset type, drop out type, plated right chain stay? Brakes? Thru-Axle? Curved tubing? Hydroformed tubing? Ovalized? Diameters?

I would encourage you guys to consider this a design feast, and I will report back the process and final product with lots of pictures.

Thanks everybody in advance for your input.

You can PM me for details about my consulting fee and PayPal info. Once the transaction is made we can discuss designs. Also, some transparency about your employer would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    If you work for a manufacterer, I would encourage you to do your own work, or, as Az suggested, you need to pay or otherwise compensate your consultees.

Don't pretend to be looking for ideas for you, when it's really to sell.

mtbr member
    Copy whatever Moots and/or Seven are doing.

mtbr member
    I like pretty colors and subtle graphics. Everything else I can get use to after riding it a few times. Oh wait, titanium... make it a brushed finish and hold the color.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Make a Ti Nimble 9 knockoff prototype in medium and send it to me for testing. If it's any good, I'll take some professional photos of it and reduce my standard fee by whatever you value the frame at.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am asking what kind of designs and features you would as a consumer like to see on new products offered. Other manufacturers doing this were aplauded for "listening to the consumers".

This is not an evil businessman secretly sucking knowledge from unsuspecting innocent forum members, but a couple of cycling enthusiast of 10-20 years who recently invested their life savings trying to make something they love, which by the way is quite challenging financially. A good doctor could make more money than the entire MOOTS company, let alone small builders, etc.

I didn't say our company name because we don't want people to think this is advertising. That's all.

wschruba, as I said before, we have several drawings already.

So hopefully with that out of the way, let me mention the specific issues I have. We are trying to build a XC bike. My business partner/riding buddy insists on thru-axle and 142 spacing on our XC model and it seems a bit radical to me. He is also adamant on 67-68 degree head tube but I am not so sure especially since 29ers already have a pretty big trail. As I am more of a roadie, I find this geometry pretty crazy. In addition, we also have a toss-up between BSA and PF30, so need to figure that out.

BTW, if you do think your advice is commercially valuable, pls PM me your resume and references and I am open to cooperation on that front as well (seriously).

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    You can PM me for details about my consulting fee and PayPal info. Once the transaction is made we can discuss designs. Also, some transparency about your employer would be helpful.