mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Suggestions on Adjustable (ie, Gravity Dropper) Seatpost....

so my riding buddies have been yelling at me for a while now to get into the second decade of this century and get an adjustable, 'gravity dropper type' seatpost. it came to light for me last weekend as we were riding in the sierra and doing a few mild trail 'features' and it clearly was better to have the seatpost down on them...

so not knowing much about them, i would love to get some recommendations on which brands and models you guys and gals prefer. my ride is an 07 s works carbon stumpjumper fsr. my concerns are probably the same as everyone else's--weight, reliability, cost, set 'steps' vs infinitely adjustable, etc...

thanks in advance.
    Last edited by cohenfive; 06-29-2012 at 10:32 AM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    so my riding buddies have been yelling at me for a while now to get into the second decade of this century and get an adjustable seatpost. it came to light for me last weekend as we were riding in the sierra and doing a few mild trail 'features' and it clearly was better to have the seatpost down on them...

so not knowing much about them, i would love to get some recommendations on which brands and models you guys and gals prefer. my ride is an 07 s works carbon stumpjumper fsr. my concerns are probably the same as everyone else's--weight, reliability, cost, set 'steps' vs infinitely adjustable, etc...

thanks in advance.
    Every bike I have ever owned has had an adjustable seatpost. Sometimes I use a wrench, sometimes a QR. But all adjust so I fit on the bike.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr dismember

Specialized command post blacklite

Specialized command post blacklite, 4" drop. Three positions: up, 1 1/2" and 4". The 1 1/2" is perfect for something like The Confluence. With a carbon frame you should not be tightening your seatpost collar without a torque wrench. So a dropping seatpost is a good idea.

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! Gravity Dropper!

Quote Originally Posted by cohenfive View Post
    so my riding buddies have been yelling at me for a while now to get into the second decade of this century and get an adjustable, 'gravity dropper type' seatpost. it came to light for me last weekend as we were riding in the sierra and doing a few mild trail 'features' and it clearly was better to have the seatpost down on them...

thanks in advance.
    Hey cohenfive,

My original 4" Gravity Dropper Classic from 2005 is still going strong with no mechanical problems. I had it rebuilt, for $15, a few years ago since I thought I ought to do something to maintain it. Since the first one I've purchased a 4" Turbo, a 5" Turbo and a 4" non remote model and none of them have had any issues. I've gotten to the point where I wouldn't ride a bike without one.

Good luck in your search,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelsnead View Post
    Hey cohenfive,

My original 4" Gravity Dropper Classic from 2005 is still going strong with no mechanical problems. I had it rebuilt, for $15, a few years ago since I thought I ought to do something to maintain it. Since the first one I've purchased a 4" Turbo, a 5" Turbo and a 4" non remote model and none of them have had any issues. I've gotten to the point where I wouldn't ride a bike without one.

Good luck in your search,

Michael
    +1 - same here , have 3 GD posts and one is 5 years old with zero problems. Have tried many other brands that have been huge disappointments from the get go.

mtbr dismember
    I have the five inch (125 mm) version.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Get a Gravity Dropper. After a couple rides the multi-position drop will feel really natural and you'll go years without needing to worry about maintenance.

Personally, I prefer the 3 positions to the Reverb's infinite position. I also bought it through my amazing LBS and it came with their logo engraved on the remote. It's ugly and the clamp mechanism takes a little work to get set up perfectly symmetrical (if you've seen one, you know what I'm talking about), but once it's on the bike you'll never ride without one again.

mtbr member
    I just got the GD Turbo LP three settings 0"-2"-4" - amazing. From all the reviews I've read I wouldn't buy any other brand.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    GD turbo here. easy maintenance. just works and works. oh btw, no ugly boot!

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Every bike I have ever owned has had an adjustable seatpost. Sometimes I use a wrench, sometimes a QR. But all adjust so I fit on the bike.
    WTF? Why bother posting if its only to be a smart azz?

Anyways. I really like my new GD turbo
    1" & 3" drop 30.9 dia. 375mm long.
    Weighed complete w cable and lever at 557gms.

My first ride with it this eve. And had my fastest time on local 20mi out and back that I ride -a lot!

You do not have to compromise w your saddle hight.
    The 1" drop is great and really let's me get the bike leaned over for better cornering.
    3" drop is just for the REALLY steep stuff.
    I'm tallish and skinny and never (hardly) lowered my seat. Just diddnt need to for steeper stuff but started experimenting with lower@ 1" positions and realized how much better (faster) I could enter/exit a corner in a lower and more leaned over position.
    Got one and LOVE IT!

.....the end

Sweater
    Is this a semantics comment? Suggesting that he should have used "dropper" or some other term rather than adjustable?
    All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    using Rockshox Reverb and im liking it... infinite position is great but think i would have preferred set positions..
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i've had a rockshox reverb, LOVED it, but i managed to break it 4 times. I've been on a gravity dropper for two years now, no problems and loving it. either one is good as far as i'm concerned. the gravity dropper is ugly and heavier (by a half pound), but less expensive and all but bomb proof.

Sweater
    Thanks for quoting the original. I don't think you were confused as to what he was originally talking about, as you implied in the neg rep. Yes, I didn't realize it was a year old post. As I said in the neg rep, this is a review site where folks come to ask questions and get information. What was the point of this post? Make a passive-aggressive comment that you don't like dropper posts? Get your post count from ridiculous to ludicrous? I think it's a reasonable assumption that it wasn't to be helpful. Which, by the way, you've called me out on publicly when I actually WAS trying to be helpful. Then retaliatory neg rep and name calling? What exactly is the role of an MTBR moderator? Seems like it should be to make the community a better place for all users.

mtbr member

Buzz, shiggy neg. repped me too!
    (Second neg. rep in seven years on this site, other one was for grammar??)
    I did call him on being a smart azz and not helping op. BUT continued my post with real experience advice, photo and weights.
    Sorry for taking thread off track everyone! Maybe Buzz and I should start a new thread "Shiggy-Disgruntled moderator?
    .....the end

Sweater

Quote Originally Posted by foot hill View Post
    I did call him on being a smart azz and not helping op. BUT continued my post with real experience advice, photo and weights.
    Sorry for taking thread off track everyone! Maybe Buzz and I should start a new thread "Shiggy-Disgruntled moderator?
    Maybe a club, we could hang out!

Big Mac

Quote Originally Posted by foot hill View Post
    That's because the shiggy is a tool. Always has been.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Bought my GD in December 2005. Had one issue in the spring of 2007. Out of warranty but they fixed it fast and no charge with the "newer" (as in 2006) shaft. in the 6 years since, not one issue. Very low maintenance, too. I lube it about every other year, and I've changed the cable twice in 7 years. Always works, period.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.