mtbr member

Sugar-free energy drinks?

Okay, made a couple of trips to the dentist in the past two weeks for some deep cleaning (scaling and root planing) soon to be followed by an upcoming normal teeth cleaning and these trips to the dentist has once again scared me into watching what I put in my mouth and flossing/brushing/rinsing after each snack or meal. I'm even afraid to drink juices during the day because that means I'd have to brush and/or rinse with Listerine to rid the sugar that gets deposited on my teeth and gums and become food for all the germs. It's now just water. I was looking at the Gatorade bottles I have stored up for rides and see that they contain the high fructose corn syrup that I heard is really bad for your teeth. Are there other drinks out there that don't contain sugar or if it is sweetened artificial sugar (which I heard doesn't harm your teeth--can someone confirm this)? I normally carry water in my bladder but also a 20 fl oz bottle of Gatorade for taste and energy boost. But now I might have to bring a bottle of Listerine too--and maybe floss if I plan to snack! I hate going to the dentist, but it's a necessary evil, I guess.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Water only in my Camelback, makes it easy to keep clean. And energy gels for taste when I need some pickmeup.

You need better brushing. I make no effort to avoid sugars and hardly need any cleaning when I visit the dentist. It's called a "Sonicare". That or the Oral B electric should keep those pearly whites gleaming. I am surprised in todays day and age that people still bother with manual brushes. When I've had to use them (in the boonsticks) I am amazed at how little "cleaning" they actually accomplish compared to a good electric brush.

YMMV.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Check the hydration info, Gatorade has simple sugars which are not readily digestable
    in the course of a strenous riding session. In addition, it contains only sodium and potassium. Cytomax is incredibly better and the effects are most noticable for me after
    the first hour. I have been using it in my Camelback for two years and after thoroughly
    rinsing and drying the bladder, have never had any bacteria\smell issues.

more carbon=more awesome
    Lay off the Listerine. My mother-in-law is a hygenist who works for a Periodontist. Her area of specialty is Perioscopy.....non surgical removal of gum disease. She says Listerine is terrible stuff. It's mostly alcohol, and although it kills bacteria, it kills too much,and it harms your gums. Nasty.
    If you are that worried about it, take some gum with you..... I like cinnamon.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

anyone else smell that?
    anybody tried this 'zipfizz' stuff?

surfer w/out waves
    I'm afraid to say that High Fructose Corn Syrup is in almost any flavored drink, except those sweetened by the cancer causing ( ) artificial sweeteners. Some companies are now using crystalline fructose, sucrose syrup, or just sucrose now....

Too many people have been scared sh1tless about sugar by the Atkins diet craze. Everything in moderation... duh! I'm a Vitamin Water or Sobe Lifewater kinda guy. I don't worry about the sugar and I love it that it doesn't have food coloring in it. Food coloring is one of my pet peeves... I can understand it on decorative food for parties but not in everything we consume just to make it look pretty.

Spring water in the Camelbak and if I need to afterwards I'll reach for a Vitamin Water/Lifewater...
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government!..." -- Dennis the Peasant

mtbr member
    sugar free no fear is good

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by havnmonkey
    I'm afraid to say that High Fructose Corn Syrup is in almost any flavored drink, except those sweetened by the cancer causing artificial sweeteners. Some companies are now using crystalline fructose, sucrose syrup, or just sucrose now....

Too many people have been scared sh1tless about sugar.....Everything in moderation... duh! I don't worry about the sugar and I love it that it doesn't have food coloring in it. Food coloring is one of my pet peeves... I can understand it on decorative food for parties but not in everything we consume just to make it look pretty...
    X2...and real sugar is better for you than high fructose corn syrup or any artificial sweetener....just keep the sweets to a minimum.

OH , and brush better!!!
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

Human Crayon
    If you want a real energy drink, go to your local GNC and pick up a 4 pack of Spike energy drinks. They are sugar free and half a can will get you juiced up.....a full can will probably have you wiggin'. Seriously, the stuff is no joke. They manufacture it here in CO and sell it in convenience stores....and card you if you look like you might not be 18!

You want sugar free energy, Spike is it, lol.
    ..:: sleestak ::..
    [SIZE] Matters [/SIZE]

El Pollo Diablo
    Sugar free rockstar.... costco flat will put ya back 30 bucks, done and done!

agua only on the trail for this hombre
    : P

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by sleestak
    If you want a real energy drink, go to your local GNC and pick up a 4 pack of Spike energy drinks. They are sugar free and half a can will get you juiced up.....a full can will probably have you wiggin'. Seriously, the stuff is no joke. They manufacture it here in CO and sell it in convenience stores....and card you if you look like you might not be 18!

You want sugar free energy, Spike is it, lol.
    If there's no sugar, then how does it get you "juiced up"? There's a difference between energy and alertness.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Thank YOU, Chuck Norris!
    Quote Originally Posted by jgsatl
    anybody tried this 'zipfizz' stuff?
    I use Zipfizz from time-to-time ... it's a more "even" energy than other products that get you jittery and then make you crash later ... it tastes pretty darned good, too ... worth a try, I think
    I see you're drinking one percent. Is that because you think you're fat?

im4Gsus
    sugar free energy drink is an oxy-moron! there are many of these sugar free drinks out there but do nothing for energy...unless they're loaded with caffeine - and like someone already said, there's a diff between energy and alertness.

i'm x2 for cytomax. gatorade is old/outdated technology.
    "If God is your co-pilot you're in the wrong seat!" S Barrington

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboose
    ....there are many of these sugar free drinks out there but do nothing for energy...unless they're loaded with caffeine - and like someone already said, there's a diff between energy and alertness.

i'm x2 for cytomax. gatorade is old/outdated technology.
    X2, and bought a large bottle of the powdered Cytomax fruit punch flavor and it seems pretty good. Gatorade was good for it's time, but the high fructose corn syrup in it is a major no-no....don't buy it anymore.
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...