Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sucky Bike Or Am I Unaware Of What Broken Is In The Bike World

3K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  retrorabbit 
#1 ·
I bought a 2013 Marin Pioneer Trail a month ago. I use my bike to ride singletrack at least 2 times a week. Everything was going well the first week, but then in the past few weeks my chain seems to come off more and it's also hitting up against the frame. Additionally, the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gears don't seem to catch anymore or they slip. Not sure exactly how to describe it. Well, my co-workers weren't having any problems in the meantime. So I started to wonder if it was my bike since they weren't having any of the issues I was having. Considering my bike was $500 and there's are in the $1,000 to $2,000 range. I'm considering purchasing a 2013 Cannondale Trail SL 4 today. My hopes are it will be more durable. My co-worker said everything I experienced is normal. Do you think the bike switch will make a difference? Or is my co-worker correct. Everything I experienced is completely normal and upgrading won't be a better experience. I guess I was also hoping that the front suspension would be smoother also. Any who, opinions anyone?

#4 ·
Was $500 your "real" number? It's usually bad news when people underbuy. I wouldn't consider the SL 4 a very worthwhile replacement, though - you'd just be replacing low-end parts with other low-end parts. Don't do it.

The drivetrains on new bikes tend to go out of tune during the first month of riding. The housings on the cables tend to bed into their ferrules and the ferrules into the cable stops. This is nicknamed "cable stretch." Which would have the same effect. You need to learn to tune your drivetrain.
Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Rear Derailler Adjustments (derailleur)
Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Front Derailleur Adjustments

If you're enjoying riding, start putting away some more money and watching Craig's List. IME, there's a huge improvement in drivetrain reliability with the Shimano Deore group. Not sure where that happens with SRAM, so a SRAM fan can chime in there. Suspension should be at least a RockShox Recon or one of the old Toras; someone who knows the other brands will I'm sure have suggestions in Manitou and Marzocchi. (And Fox's lowest-end model is still pretty nice, so that would be a real score.) One of my friends picked up a race-ready Scott hardtail for $600 about a year ago - totally doable, you just need some patience and to let go of "new." Or, wait until you've got about $1500 and don't let go of "new."

#9 ·
Give your bike back to REI. That's why you paid retail at Return Every Item. They guarantee your satisfaction yet are unwise enough to carry some pretty unsatisfactory mountain bikes.

Get the SL 2 for your "real" number. Ride the hell out of it. It has its faults, but it has a "real" suspension fork and name-brand disc brakes.

#12 ·
Yep, I had the same problem. What you do is grab a screw driver and tighten or loosen those L and H screws by the derailleur and that should fix it. I just adjusted mine yesterday, but messed it up, so now I'm going to buy a new bike because it doesn't shift right and I busted a crank.

#14 ·
It sounds like you bought a bike that is way below your level of involvement. Based on the relative price of most bikes and bikes I have worked on as a LBS mechanic, the kind of bike you can get for $500 is going to self-destruct in a few months. It should be fine for riding roads, bike paths, gravel, and the occasional length of singletrack, but as a dedicated XC trails bike, it's not going to last you. It is nice to have a lightweight, smooth-functioning bike, but that comes with a $2000+ pricetag. But you can easily get a solid bike for more like $1000-1500. A $500 is just not going to last on singletrack.

It does sound like it needs some basic adjustments, about which the salesperson should have advised you when you bought it, and the store where you bought it should provide at least one basic tune-up, if not a lifetime of complimentary tuneups. At least do that, but i would consider trading it in and getting something more reliable.

#16 ·
It sounds like you bought a bike that is way below your level of involvement. Based on the relative price of most bikes and bikes I have worked on as a LBS mechanic, the kind of bike you can get for $500 is going to self-destruct in a few months. It should be fine for riding roads, bike paths, gravel, and the occasional length of singletrack, but as a dedicated XC trails bike, it's not going to last you. It is nice to have a lightweight, smooth-functioning bike, but that comes with a $2000+ pricetag. But you can easily get a solid bike for more like $1000-1500. A $500 is just not going to last on singletrack.

It does sound like it needs some basic adjustments, about which the salesperson should have advised you when you bought it, and the store where you bought it should provide at least one basic tune-up, if not a lifetime of complimentary tuneups. At least do that, but i would consider trading it in and getting something more reliable.
Since it started getting dark so early I could only ride on the weekends. I've been getting in about 10 - 20 miles per weekend so far. I can't wait until I can ride several days during the week. I'm already considering night time riding. Lol @ the "the kind of bike you can get for $500 is going to self-destruct in a few months" comment!!!!!!

Who would have known that riding could be this fun!!! I'm going to do just like AndrwSwitch said and ride the hell out of it!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.