mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Subaru Legacy and four bikes

Anyone tow four bikes on a hitch mount rack using a Subaru Legacy? I have a 2006 Legacy and I need to tow a 29er, 26'' women's mtb, a 20'' kid bike, and a 16'' kid bike.

I'm wondering if it will be too much weight including the 43 lbs rack I want to get. I'm assuming everything will be about 150 lbs total or so. It doesn't sound like much now that I'm writing out the numbers but thought I'd see if anyone has any nays before I put money in it.

Not interested in a roof mount cause they cost too much and doubt wife could use it on her own.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I drive an 07 legacy and have a hitch mount. Mine only carries up to three bikes. Do you already have a trailer hitch? I had to have one installed on mine, it was a bolt on and was rated for up to 300 lbs. I think you would have to research how much the hitch you have is rated for, but I'm pretty sure it would be ok.

mtbr member
    This will work.

North Shore Bike Racks

But my solution is to drive an F150 to properly carry bikes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post

But my solution is to drive an F150 to properly carry bikes.
    Thanks...I have a F250 Superduty crewcab Diesel that I pull my boat with. However, that's too much vehicle to be driving on vacation with the fam to the beach or something. I don't mind using it for local trails, but I want to venture off to other trails further away. Diesel where I live is about $4 a gallon and my truck gets 15 to 18 mpg. That and I notice when I pull up to bike trail parking my truck takes up most of the lot.

Thanks for the link. I do like those racks.

mtbr member
    I have been thinking about getting a 2" receiver for my wife's Subaru Outback and getting the 1up USA rack. The 2" receiver model comes with 2 bike slots and you can add two more. That's probably about a 150 lb load or so. Shouldn't be a problem for Legacy or Outback.

Ariolimax columbianus

Tuf rack?

TufRackHave you seen these? I'm picking one up soon.

mtbr member
    The 2" receivers for Legacy/outback are rated at 400 lbs, the1-1/4" is rated at 300 lbs. I would get the 2" just so there is less lateral play but either could handle 150 lbs.
    http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2006_Subaru_Legacy.htm

mtbr member
    Also, your F250 has a 2" receiver so getting the same size for the Subaru would make it easy to move the rack between both vehicles.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    So I have to have 10 post to post links in a message. This post is my 10th. I'll post links in my next post I guess.

Too many rules on this forum that don't make sense to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider47 View Post
    Also, your F250 has a 2" receiver so getting the same size for the Subaru would make it easy to move the rack between both vehicles.
    Yes I was thinking about this hitch:
    Trailer Hitches - Hidden Hitch

Found it here for $157
    https://www.onlinehitches.com/Hidden...ies-87446.html

I sat on the rear bumper of my car last night and the car didn't really sink much and I'm 180lbs. I think it's going to be ok. I was mostly worried the weight sticking out of the back hurting my car suspension causing something to rub.

I do plan on using it with my truck too.

Thanks for all the replies!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Actually, its not the hitch that is the limiting factor, but the rack. I had an old Yakima Slickrock4 that I used in 2009 to go out to Moab with three of my friends. We had three all-mountain bikes on there for the 21 hour drive. Turns out that the weight limit on the rack is 120lbs and while we were under that, we were close to 100 pounds. The pins in the hitch rack that hold the folding hing upright failed as they were only Grade8 steel, and the rack started drooping. I got some ratchet straps and anchored it to the roof rack, but still, be careful about over loading a hitch mount.

mtbr member
    Yeah, don't get the Subaru 1.25" hitch receiver (if you don't already have it -- my used Outback had it installed already). Not too strong, and there is a metal ridge on it that makes it impossible to ratchet the anti-rattle bolt in to the receiver. I actually had to grind the ridge off before I could get mine on. As noted, you can get a better aftermarket 2" for less money.

Just a note, though -- my '07 Outback (when carrying bikes) on it doesn't get much better mileage than my diesel pickup did. I just returned from a long road trip w/ the OB where I averaged 23 mpg w/ a bike on a hitch tray, and you might get even less w/ 4 bikes on the back screwing with your aerodynamics. My Chevy Duramax averaged 18.5 for the same trip (of course, bikes in the bed didn't affect the truck's mpg at all). Just something to think about before dropping $$$ on a rack system.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road