Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004

Sturdiness of cheap seatpost and carbon fiber handlebar

As I mentioned in another thread, I lost my GF's bike off the back of my car going 65 mph. I ended up needing to replace both wheels, seat, handlebar, grips, and stem. Luckily this was a bike I made from spare parts, and I had another wheelset and handlebar.

I am mentioning this incident because it gave me some insight as to the sturdiness of the cf handlebar and the cheap seatpost on the bike.

The seatpost is a 10+ year old cheap-o aluminum post. The seat it supported had Cro-mo rails. the seat was shredded, and the rails were a twisted pretzel. The post is fine.

The Easton cf bar got the last 1/2" of each end bashed in, so it was not re-usable. However, the rest of the bar was fine. I did not realize how impressive this was until I put a new handlebar on and realized the impact had twisted the stem! Quite a bit, actually, and this was a reasonably stout stem. It is just amazing to me how something that light can be that strong. I knew it was strong stuff, but seeing the bent stem really drove the fact home.

mtbr member
    Even if the ends were not bashed in, from what I've read it would be asking for trouble to use the bars after a crash like that. Pretty impressive though that they didn't completely splinter or something...
    Not much for a man to ask I dare say.. the simple maturity to ensure a limitless supply of clean socks.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandros
    Even if the ends were not bashed in, from what I've read it would be asking for trouble to use the bars after a crash like that.
    Yeah, I'm actually glad the ends were bashed in so I did not have to make the judgment call. I think that it is basically an issue of checking for scores and/or cracks on the bar. Except for the ends, the bar still looks in great condition, better than the one I run on my bike. Still, with an impact like that......? I guess I'd have replaced it, anyway. My GF's face is too beautiful to be messed up over a stupid handlebar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta
    Yeah, I think that it is basically an issue of checking for scores and/or cracks on the bar. .
    I'm no expert but I've read that with carbon the damage can be internal and not show and then fail badly... Anyway at least the whole bike wasn't totalled.
    Not much for a man to ask I dare say.. the simple maturity to ensure a limitless supply of clean socks.

I railed it like Kong
    I've got a thread that just started about my bike dropping off the back of a rack. I had FSA carbon bars and they look almost perfect after the crash. But no way am i going to ride on them. That's pretty cool how they handled the hit when the stem didn't.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.