mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Stumpjumper FSR bearing grease.

I plan to put 3-400 Miles on my bike then service the fsr bearings. What grease are you all packing your bearings with?

mtbr member
    Any good wheel bearing grease is good. Perhaps thick marine bearing grease is best. It's best to clean all the old stuff out first because there can be incompatibilites between different greases. Finish Line Speed Degreaser works great for this.
    Do the math.

since 4/10/2009
    Wait, you're only going to ride 3-400mi and then tear your bearings apart? Man, that's attentive. I've put about 2,000mi on my FS and haven't touched the suspension bearings.

passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Wait, you're only going to ride 3-400mi and then tear your bearings apart? Man, that's attentive. I've put about 2,000mi on my FS and haven't touched the suspension bearings.
    mmmmm lm at about 7k kms, mine are still good
    always mad and usually drunk......

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

Thatís good to hear, I was under the assumption they needed it a couple times a year.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lrdchaos View Post
    Thatís good to hear, I was under the assumption they needed it a couple times a year.
    There are a lot of variables that play into it, but it's likely you won't have to touch them for awhile. On my old Stumpjumper (2003 model), yeah, I had to service the suspension bearings a bit more often. But by today's standards, the rear triangle of that bike was a noodle and that kind of flex in a suspension linkage makes for a much reduced service life. Modern FS bikes are far more reliable with bearings. To the point that Santa Cruz even gives you free bearings for the life of the bike. My wife's 2010 Blur XC Carbon needed new bearings a couple years ago, and even though Santa Cruz's free bearings policy didn't apply when that bike was made, they gave her free bearings, anyway. AFAIK, that was the only time that bike's suspension bearings have been replaced (once in 9yrs). She got it used, but it was only 2-3yrs old at the time.