mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Strong and lite bike anti-theft chain made of carbon fibre

Hi,

Why hasn't anyone thought of making a strong, but lite bike anti-theft chain made of carbon fibre? Is this possible?

Regards,
    Daniel

official eMpTyBRain
    My bolt cutters would crunch right through it and I've have yet another nice bike to sell on CG.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

High Desert MTBer
    And when the temperature fell below freezing, it would very likely explode...
    It's all Here. Now.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    I say make the chain and lock out of dog poop.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc View Post
    And when the temperature fell below freezing, it would very likely explode...
    It would explode if you ever left it in the sun too.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

High Desert MTBer
    Or you could use a carbon fiber 'chain' to secure a large crocodile to your bike... crocs don't like carbon fiber as the bits get stuck in their teeth, so he wouldn't chew thru it. Alligators on the other hand are much better adapted to chewing on carbon fiber, and would be off in a trice...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Boy, some of you can sure crap out of your mouths. Has anyone ever cut a carbon-fibre chain using a bolt cutter, or just their nuts and bolts?

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: Strong and lite bike anti-theft chain made of carbon fibre

They are right, it's not going to work at all. Carbon fiber has low shear resistance to forces perpendicular to the fibers. For the chain to have high tensile strength (resisting pulling forces) the main fibers would need to run axially up and down the chain links. Unfortunately this would make the chain very easy to cut with cutters, which apply a shear force perpendicular to those fibers. A carbon fiber chain would probably be cut-able with basic pliers or high leverage pliers.

I have cut carbon ski poles, and fishing rods with simple pliers and it requires minimal effort.

Carbon also has low hardness making vulnerable to sawing, you could saw through a carbon chain in short order.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielDG View Post
    Boy, some of you can sure crap out of your mouths. Has anyone ever cut a carbon-fibre chain using a bolt cutter, or just their nuts and bolts?
    I haven't seen a carbon fiber chain, seems that it would be vulnerable to saws or cut off wheels though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Hi Procter! I was aware of the fact that carbon fibre has low resistance to perpendicular forces, but I thought/hoped that maybe someone can come up with a solution so as to overcome or workaround this downside.
    I guess not. Apologies for any inconveniences.

High Desert MTBer

Daniel, no disrespect intended, but the relative merits (or not) of carbon fiber have been discussed ad infinitum on here thru the years... if you Google 'carbon fiber lock and chain', the only thing that comes close to what you are talking about is this...

Name:  p2fiber.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  54.3 KB

Perhaps that will give you some idea of why your post was met with a certain amount of sarcastic banter... A sense of humor is always a good thing to try and retain on here...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I understand your sarcasm, but unfortunately I wasn't in the mood for jokes, or maybe it's just a bit harder to take jokes when they're directed towards yourself.

I have an Abus Granit City X-Plus 1060 2,6 kg chain and was desperately hoping for something lighter and hopefully even stronger

I am now also considering adding a second layer of security, i.e. a GPS tracker, namely BikeSpike, though I don' quite truest BikeSpike, even though it seems the best GPS tracking solution.

High Desert MTBer
    I understand your sarcasm, but unfortunately I wasn't in the mood for jokes, or maybe it's just a bit harder to take jokes when they're directed towards yourself.

I have an Abus Granit 1060 2,6 kg chain and was desperately hoping for something lighter and hopefully even more secure

I am now also considering adding a second layer of security, i.e. a GPS tracker, namely BikeSpike.
    You can never have too much chain, and unfortunately that means that someone will always get thru it if they wish. Making it as hard as possible for the casual thief to take yer bike is what you need to do, and if that means carrying a heavy chain and lock, that's what you have to do. The best way to deter a thief is to keep your bike close to you, or out of sight to a passer-by. Tracking devices are sometimes useful, especially if the bike is taken by a 'casual' thief, and you can track it quickly, but any kind of professional outfit will not let that deter them. You would most likely find your Bikespike for sale on CL the following day...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I've seen at our LBS a titanium band lock. Interesting, if pricey. Ti is pretty aggressive on cutting tools, it causes blades and bits to overheat.

Your Best Friend
    I want a Tupperware chain. That **** is tough! Have you seen the commercials?
    I guide and rent bikes in Northern Utah

http://www.facebook.com/AdventureEarthRides

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    My bolt cutters would crunch right through it and I've have yet another nice bike to sell on CG.
    Hmm carbon fiber bolt cutterz? You might be on to something there Hawg

mtbr member

Re: Strong and lite bike anti-theft chain made of carbon fibre

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm not bothering to google this to find out if its been discussed before, but what about 1-1/2 inch diameter spectra rope, with eye splices in the ends through which one can put a lock? Spectra is very light, even at 1-1/2 inches. It is too big around for a bolt cutters. It would take an hour to cut with a knife, and probably nearly as long with a saw. Of course, it would be pricy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    The Hench lock looks pretty promising: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrY6SUBpHXI, but then again, the padlock itself is not uncuttable.
    The biggest problem here in Romania is that some of the stupid and occasional bike thieves will try to brake your anti-theft with improvised tools that will damage your bike. One homeless guy tried to snap my cable by using a metal bar and twisting it until it would brake. Luckily he was seen, as the bike was locked in an somewhat busy intersection, but he ruined my cable by twisting it and heavily scratched my older bike in the process.
    A few days ago, a guard told me that there was another such attempt on his colleague's bike. So some of these thieves don't even afford a bolt cutter or maybe don't even know what one is, which I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad one.
    Anyway, I don't think that these guys will attempt braking my 2,6 kg ABUS Granit chain by twisting it. However, the Hench lock looks pretty unsecure and such thieves would attempt to brake it by all means, with no other result than damaging your bike. Maybe if they get mad for not being able to cut it, they may take vengeance on your bike. Who knows.
    So a big heavy chain is a good deterrent for some.
    Someone said about leaving your bike somewhere where it cannot be seen, i.e. out of sight to passers-by. Overnight, I hold my bike in the apartment I live in, else it would be gone sooner or latter. When I go somewhere I usually secure it in a place where there's much traffic, so that the thief cannot work unobserved.
    Last edited by DanielDG; 07-09-2014 at 04:54 AM.