mtbr member
    May 2009

Stripped my pedal spindle and nut. how to remove.

well, the bearings were a little sloppy in my transition stepdowns (i love these things though!!!)

and i was told to tighten them up by turning the 8mm nut... well i got a bit over excited and stripped it (the threads on both the nut and spindle)

i need to remove the nut but all it does is spin. i tried pulling on the pedal while turning the nut and it came off part of the way (spindle is now flush with the nut) but it won't go any farther.

i'm still pissed at myself! i'm thinking that depending on how bad the threads are i'm just gonna chase the spindle threads (hahaha, that's wishful thinking i know)
    and get a new nut

how might i be able to remove the nut??

thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    ok... so i got the nut off using a drill, a socket, and a bit of duct tape...

thank god that the spindle looks saveable! anybody know what threads are on there so that i can go get the right chaser?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    a 8mm nut generally goes on m5 threads

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Machine shop

Find a local machine shop and show them exactly what you need. It'll probably help if you show up with a 6-pack and tell them how awesome they are.
    I was gonna stop by and see you, but the Jehovas witnesses came by. When they left I started drinking. Voicemail from Paul