Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Street tires for my mountain bike???

I have a Cannondale F7 and just took my tires off. They are 26" x 2.25 stock tires and a pain to ride with on paved trails. The majority of my riding will be on paved surfaces. Now that the tires are off can I put street tires on and if so what size and style do you recommend? This might sound dumb, but since I took them off myself, there's not anything I need to do special to get them back on is there. Once I had the chain loose they can right off and then I took the tire off and left the tube on. Will the tube be the same also?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    in addition to tire suggestions, what about my tube? My tube says 1.9 - 2.3. does that mean that the tire I pick must be in that range. Meaning I can't get a 1.5 tire

mtbr member
    Along the lines of what natrat posted, I really like Maxxis Holy Rollers. Takes for ever to wear them out, they roll really well and they actually work pretty good on trails.

Check them out Google

Your tubes will work fine.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    I'm liking my Michelin Country Rock semi slicks so far. On asphalt that has loose sand and small rocks here and there it really bites even when I'm leaning.
    I really leaned and pushed them in the loose stuff when I first got them as I didn't want any surprises while riding. I had some Kenda Klimax Lights on it that
    were regular knobbies and those things were only 345 grams but these Country Rocks still roll as fast as those Kendas. These tires are also very quiet.

Now had I seen those Geax Tattoo Lights, I might have went with those as the weight(580g) is nice, more air in them(2.3") and they are a decent price($30).
    They also look pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Hookworms FTW!! I've got a set for my wifes GF and one set for my Giant Reign.

-Chris

mtbr member
    Schwalbe Kojaks have worked well for me in the past. About the lightest high volume tyres around.

mtbr member
    Big Apples
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    ^^What he said^^

I have been using Big Apple's on my Cannondale and Cadex for years, and they are awesome tires.
    Only 1 puncture in 4 years !!
    (and there is a lot of glass and other crap on the roads)

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky472 View Post
    in addition to tire suggestions, what about my tube? My tube says 1.9 - 2.3. does that mean that the tire I pick must be in that range. Meaning I can't get a 1.5 tire
    A tube that is much too large is harder to get into the tyre. And get it there straight, so that there are no wrinkles that can cause a flat later on.

A tube doesn't cost a fortune and you should have a couple of spares anyway.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My friend has 25c road tires on his Cannondale Caffeine. Fit and work just fine. But that is a 29er, of course.
    2007 Cdale Caffeine 29er Lefty.
    "Your not going to shove you're proper grammer down are throats!!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mitzikatzi View Post
    Big Apples
    I've used a few different street tires and Big Apples are, by far, the best urban tire I've ever ridden. They are not meant to be inflated to 80psi, but offer excellent low rolling resistance at 30-40psi, which offers bump absorption at a new level.

If you even feel the need to venture off-road with them, well... here you go:

DionRidesBikes.com: Schwalbe Big Apples on the Trails

I've also mounted them ghetto tubeless without a problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I've ridden several 26" road slicks. For strictly roads (meaning, no dirt trails, or curb hopping), I really like my Specialized Fat Boys. They roll fast and smooth. For a mix of road and dirt trails, I like Michelin Country Rock's. For all-out urban assult, Big Apples seem like the ticket.

Also, consider switching out your fork to a rigid fork. Much better served for your purpose and more reliable than your suspension fork. Look at a Surly 1x1, or Salsa Ala Carte.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I just ordered the Big Apples. All of the ones recommended were great suggestions!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I run a set of Serfas Drifter tires (26x1.5") on my mtn. bike for around town and on the dirt levee trails I mainly ride it on. They have both a 26x1.5 and a 26x2.0 size:
    - https://www.serfas.com/products/view...-comfort-tires

They roll very nice and the inverted tread seems to have a fair amount of grip. Best part is in the rain on smooth pavement/concrete, you get a sort of suction cup noise in turns as each inverted tread segment sucks down onto the smooth surface then pops off.
    Last edited by 4Crawler; 04-20-2012 at 11:01 PM.

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Enjoy them !!

But be aware, those big comfy soft tires made me go even fatter....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thanks for all of the feedback. I just ordered the Big Apples. All of the ones recommended were great suggestions!
    big apples rule, too bad they dont make a folding liteskin any more and make you pay up for the supermoto to get the 600 gr weight

PRETENDURO
    I guess itís too late to recommend Maxxis Hookworms.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given Brewtality too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Schwalbe Crazy Bob!!

mtbr member
    I have a set of holy rollers on my urban assault/ djer, they roll fast but may be overbuilt for pavement cruising. On my pavement bike I just bought some bontrager LT3's, they're a little heavy but the thicker casing means less flats. They roll smooth on pavement and have just enough tread for winter road conditions and dirt roads. How about some small block 8's? I always wondered what they would be like on pavement.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime View Post
    A tube that is much too large is harder to get into the tyre. And get it there straight, so that there are no wrinkles that can cause a flat later on.

A tube doesn't cost a fortune and you should have a couple of spares anyway.

don't forget that tubes tend to permanently stretch to the size of the tire they're put on, esp. after all that time sitting in the hot sun and stuff.
    Last edited by geneiusxie; 04-24-2012 at 09:29 PM. Reason: forgot the quote

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Schwalbe Furious fred 2.0 for rolling efficiency.

Dark Horse Racing
    When I ride my MTB on the paved trails I picked up a pair of IRC Metro 26x1.5 tires and cheap 1.5-2.125 tubes from Price Pt. all for under $35 and mounted them on my Mavic Crossmax ST's. Smooth rolling and cheap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    How about some small block 8's? I always wondered what they would be like on pavement.
    definitely stick a bit better on trails but after experiencing the ultra low rolling resistance,speed and the quiet of slicks it's tough going back for pavement and hardpack riding

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Any particulary good choices for 29ers?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast