Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Depends on the type of riding you will be doing. If you are doing any technical, urban assault-type riding, there are some great options listed above. If you are just "touring", get a thin, high-pressure tire for low rolling resistance. I put Ritchey Tom Slick's (26x1.4") on my wife's bike - worked fine for her. I'm sure there are more sophisticated options out there, but no complaints on the Ritchey's. Make sure you get thinner tubes as well.

mtbr member
    First, go to youtube and search for "how to change a bicycle tire." Watch videos and learn that.

Next, I vote for the Schwalbe Big Apples for cruising on pavement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've used big apples on my bike before, strictly for a triathlon. They were great-- no complaints here.
    The reactions I got from seasoned roadies as I passed them going up hill on my mtb were priceless.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i have used hookworms,big apples and intense mk2.the mk2s are the lightest,fastest and have the best traction but they also wear fast and have poor puncture protection.the hookworms are nearly indestructible and may last for the life of your bike but they are heavy and have less traction.the big apples seem to fit somewhere in the middle.
    if you need a tire that you can ride in backlanes over glass and dont want flats get the hookworms.
    if you take your bike to the skate park and do sunts and want the best traction get the mk2s.
    all smooth tires suck off pavement and all knobbies suck on pavement so mount the tire thats best suited for your ride
    general rule of thumb-heavier tires are stronger and lighter tires are faster

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    these tires are cool, intense micro knobby

Chamois Dropper
    I have used both Hookworms and Holy Rollers on my urban bike. They both look cool in their own way, and I have thousands of miles on my worms. The biggest downside to the Hookworms is they are extremely heavy, I think the 2.5s I was running are something like 1250g!
    2008 GT Force
    Go Veg

mtbr member
    (Dumb beginner warning) Is there any harm to not using street tires when riding on the pavement? Is it more of a speed/comfort issue? I've seen mention of using different tires, but never the reasoning.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jbk123 View Post
    Is it more of a speed/comfort issue?.
    pretty much, but also a safety issue if you plan to go fast in traffic, as knobbys don't stop/corner/lean as well on fast pavement. Small block 8 type tires seem to be a little more toward the dirt end of the spectrum

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by natrat View Post
    these tires are cool, intense micro knobby
    how's the noise level with these on pavement? i'd think they give a constant buzz/hum

mtbr member
    pretty much, but also a safety issue if you plan to go fast in traffic, as knobbys don't stop/corner/lean as well on fast pavement. Small block 8 type tires seem to be a little more toward the dirt end of the spectrum
    Ahh ok... shouldn't be a huge concern for me then -- I'm not fast, nor crazy enough to even think about riding in traffic around here

The trails closest to me tend to take days or weeks to dry out after a rain (thus closing them for long stretches) and no other trails that would be within a reasonable travel time during the week (weekends aren't as much of an issue) -- I don't think I'm quite ready for trail riding at night yet .

There are however some paved bike & walking trails a mile or two down from the park. I was considering using those as a fallback when things are closed. Thankfully I can take mostly side streets to get to those.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2gumby2 View Post
    Any particulary good choices for 29ers?
    Your choice of road tires that are as wide or wider than your rim profile. 29ers and 700 road tires have the same bead seat diameter. I probably wouldnt go less than 700x28 on any decently wide 29er rim, maybe even 700x32 if you've got a 28-30mm wide rim.

I highly recommend Kenda K-Rads, really fast rolling tires and light for the size.

If you're going Maxxis, dont get the Hookworms, they're stupid heavy, go with the DTH.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vqdriver View Post
    how's the noise level with these on pavement? i'd think they give a constant buzz/hum

i dont know, they just look fast, the mk 2 looks like it has inverted knobs and a smooth center so that might be quieter but really they are so tiny and close together it might not be an issue

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    the intense mk2s are completely silent

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Schwalbe Supermoto

I just put on a set of Schwalbe supermotos on my Cannondale F4. Awsome tire, roll really fast.Photobucket

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've been riding Small Block 8s on my Urban/Commuter Sette Razzo. They roll nice and are up for a little dirt now and then.
    Indy, In.
    Niner Rip 9
    Epic Expert Carbon 650b
    Karate Monkey SS
    Sette Razzo

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Tires look great. But i think they'd look a bit funny of serious dual suspension bike used to commute =)
    And the idea of commuting on dual suspension bike is funny too =)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    small block 8 front ,super moto rear and that is one bad lookin ride

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    small block 8 front ,super moto rear and that is one bad lookin ride

Looking really great. How's the speed gain? =)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by boffin View Post
    Looking really great. How's the speed gain? =)
    it's sick ! but when i arrive at the trails and it is wet game over

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by 2gumby2 View Post
    Any particulary good choices for 29ers?
    Although it has already been addressed above - think about road tires. Just make sure they are a bit wider than your rim - which isn't a problem with all the variety of widths available for road tires (23c, 25c, 28c, etc....).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    kenda k-rad 2'3

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I will be a contrarian and suggest beach cruiser tires. They are super cheap and readily available in numerous street-ready tread patterns. 26" x 2.125", so they're the right beefiness visually for a mountain bike.

I just switched to Giant Simple Road Star slicks in the white-wall variety (all-black also available). Heavy as hell, but they give you a quiet vibration-free ride, and just $18 per tire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2