mtbr member

Streak of bad luck

Well, I have hit a streak of bad luck on the bike lately. On my last 4 rides, I have run into stupid mechanical issues or just straight stupidity issues. I've even had this bad luck happen on different bikes. I am almost tired of having this stuff happen. I know that some of the issues are my own fault (not carrying a pump/having my CO2 with me) but still, it has me frustrated. I am almost too frustrated to ride anymore.
    You may be quick, but I'll knock you over

mtbr member
    If you haven't had your home foreclosed on, lost your job, are in bad health, etc....I would just push through it. Anything man made will fail and probably at the worst possible moment. That is a promise.
    Riding my bike is the easiest thing I have to do all day. No matter how bad it gets out there on the bike it's always better than sitting behind a TV screen and eating potato chips and drinking soda.
    If you make it back from a bike ride with all your fingers, no broken bones, and no concussions then call it a good day. People right now are living on the streets with their children. It isn't getting better out there.
    Most of us in here....What am I saying, we're leisurely typing on a keyboard for a computer or expensive smart phone in here...all of us have it pretty good if we can come in here and talk about bikes in our free time.
    Keep riding, buddy.

mtbr member
    I know things could in fact be a lot worse. But when the one thing that allows me to relieve stress is causing stress, it just sucks. I am a college senior set to graduate in a little under a month and a half and I have no firm job prospects beyond the end of ski season and I need graduate school to hope for a job in my prospective field. So while I haven't been laid off, I more than likely won't get a chance to start a real (by real I mean something that involves education not simple retail/wait staffing like I am probably going to be doing for the next few years) job for a while.

I am just trying to keep optimistic and realize that while I have had eye opening experiences the last few rides (found I could in fact push the big ring up at least one side of my regular ride due to FD/ small chain ring issues). Besides, what else do I have multiple bikes for? I am pretty sure that while geared road bike is out of commission for a while, I have a SS road bike. My geared hardtail is also heading for some overhauls, which just means I will have to ride my SS.

Things are not so bad. But I just hate having to bail on rides due to mechanical crap.

Anyone else have multiple rides in a row cut short/made more difficult due to mechanical stupidity? I don't want to think I am alone here.
    You may be quick, but I'll knock you over

see me rollin, they hatin
    i keep falling lately.

ouch....
    It's just part of it, enjoy it.
    X2 on the first reply though, good post
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Some luck you make some you just have to accept. Change the luck you can by being prepared and accept the stuff you cannot. Heck I walked a few miles the other day (torn sidewall) and I enjoyed the sunshine and peace and quiet. Roll with it baby!
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

mtbr member
    I hate thorns....

The White Jeff W
    Funny, I was lying in bed this morning thinking that the sealant in my tubeless tires is probably dried up & that I should refresh it. I read this thread while I ate my breakfast then headed out to the local park for a ride then pinch flatted both tires on a sharp edged rock on a new trail I just built this past weekend

I have since fixed both problems
    No moss...

mtbr member
    went riding with a guy whose Walmart bike crapped out on him one too many times. Half way out on the trail when his derailleur bent he threw it down a steep embankment then realized he didn't want to walk 4 miles back and climbed down to retrieve it. When we go back to the trail head he threw it in the air a few times then proceeded to bash it against the ground until it was bent all to heck. My favorite part was when he calmly placed it in a small trash can and said we can leave now.

Moral of the story: Go to a garage sell and buy a rusted, greasy, wallyworld bike for $5 and invite your largest short tempered friend. Awesomeness will ensue I promise!

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Maybe give your bike some more love before you ride. A little preventive maintenance might help. Make sure all your bolts are tight and everything looks good to go. A tube / CO2 or pump is a must or be prepared to walk. A good muli-tool with a chain breaker helps other issues and you can go SS if you have to. I liked the 2nd posters response about it being the easiest thing we do all day, but I've had maintenance issues ruin days too and it's no fun to be stressed when you are trying to relieve stress. Be extra prepared next time and check your equipment before you go and you might feel better. Good luck.

It's about showing up.
    All of us have days we lose to riding where we work on our bikes. There are rides I know going out, that I will spend time fiddling and dialing in. It totally changes my ride but that is the price for that day. Next time out it is solid and I can lean on it all I want.

Mechanicals don't just happen due to evil spirits. Find the Zen of bike care. Learn to enjoy it. Look at all you have done to educate yourself at school. You have the ability to learn but have not shown the bike and its systems the respect they need. Your bike will tell you if you've taken good care of it.
    I don't rattle.

mtbr member
    The second to the last time I rode my DH bike, I broke my right hand. The last time I rode it I broke a finger on my left hand. A few mechanicals doesn't sound so bad.
    Only two infinite things exist: the universe and stupidity. And, I am unsure of the universe
    - Albert Einstein

Tool
    Pushing a bike down a trail presents copious therapeutic opportunities, including time to ponder how to make such a task more optional.

I think we've all had streaks like this at one time or another. You'll pull through.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

see me rollin, they hatin
    one time my sig other and i were out riding, and his freehub failed about 4 miles out. he was cursing and *****ing that he KNEW it was a crap hub and should have replaced it long ago. i rode slowly along side him as he walked, and he warned me "dont laugh, you have the same shitty freehub. you're next. i should replace it soon or you can get new wheels. you pick". But me being cheap, was willing to wait a while. so in the meantime, as we were rolling/walking out, i decided to practice my wheelies. i pushed really hard and did a good one, and CRACK!!!!.....from my freehub who whoulda thunk it.

North Idaho
    Quote Originally Posted by jwood70 View Post
    Well, I have hit a streak of bad luck on the bike lately. On my last 4 rides, I have run into stupid mechanical issues or just straight stupidity issues. I've even had this bad luck happen on different bikes. I am almost tired of having this stuff happen. I know that some of the issues are my own fault (not carrying a pump/having my CO2 with me) but still, it has me frustrated. I am almost too frustrated to ride anymore.
    I went to the dentist for my regular teeth cleaning/checkup and I have to get a crown due to a crack that has formed in a back molar. $1200 and I don't have insurance. I'll trade ya for your bike problems...
    09 Giant Trance X3 1x9

Fat-tired Roadie
    I ripped my handlebar in half this morning.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I have been pretty fortunate but I did pretty much fell over and managed to get a chunk of wood hidden under the muscles of my forearm that I didnt know was there. month later it was still swelled up and had to be surgically removed, that sucks, I would rather deal with a bike problem any day of the week.

Professional Crastinator
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Was it carbon?
    Sorry to hear that.

Yeah, luck is blind. I had one Summer where I had to go to the ER for a bike wreck inside a bike shop (result = 10 staples). That same Summer I wrecked and slid down a shale riverbank - it's like sliding on knives. And I lost my helmet, DURING a ride (the usual beer, night ride, taunting police, etc. - maybe I had that one coming).

There's always next season. Stay closer to the house for now.

-F

North Idaho
    Dang. Good thing you didn't get core sampled by the remaining stump.
    09 Giant Trance X3 1x9

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    Was it carbon?
    Sorry to hear that.
    Nope. Mid-80s alloy road bars. I think there'd been a crack getting a little bigger over a long period of time, until there wasn't enough handlebar left for me to do my usual rolling remount.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Seems like bike mechanicals and the like come in waves. Ride good for a year with no major issues, then have 9-10 rides in a row where you get frustrated.

I just came out of my annual frustration a few weeks ago. There were rides I would get so pissed I couldn't see straight. But it was still fun(ish). Friggin brake issues, fork issues, flat tire issues, chain guide (didn't know these could get messes up) issues, even my grips decided they wanted to become loose on the bars on a 35 mile ride. Not to mention crashing into a cactus (still have thorns in me from that 2.5 months ago!, crashing on rocks, otb into more rocks, etc...

Keep on riding through it and fix what you can fix. It'll get better.

mtbr member
    Were you riding a Walgoose?

TC
    mtbr member

let's get this straight...

you have 3 bikes.
    2 are rideable, 1 is not.
    quit your *****in' and go ride!

(and do a little maintenance on the side...sheesh!)
    if the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will