mtbr member
    May 2011

Storing your bike when space is limited

Coping with life in a small apartment is all about attitude...

I have to keep my bike in the living room.

I get to keep my bike in the living room.

Storing your bike when space is limited-0ef988cc-231f-4a22-ac1d-39a0b034f1ea.jpg

mtbr member
    LOL that does suck. At least you don't have to worry too much about theft... since it's practically in bed with you.

As for me, I've got 4 to deal with.... an AM/Eduro rig, a Trail, an XC and a generic Cruiser. The past week I've been trying to re-arrange my shed so they don't take up so much room, so I got the brilliant idea to cut out some notches in one of the shelves, add some supporting bars, and vertically hang them next to each other. Now this clears up a ton of space.
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5
    XC -> 2014 Trek Wahoo 29er HT

mtbr member
    A couple of orange throw pillows and maybe a brightly colored rug...you know...to bring the room together.

Bikesexual
    Total bachelor pad!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Sneaker man
    we have a room just for bikes, only issue it's a bit of a wonky shape, so 7 bikes fit fine, but is a bit of a hassle if things get a bit busy in there
    All the gear and no idea.

@njcshreds
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    A couple of orange throw pillows and maybe a brightly colored rug...you know...to bring the room together.
    Maybe get some orange dinnerware, too. Perhaps an orange tea kettle, too?
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have a small condo with a small one-car garage. I have one bike next to the car (prime ride, 29 FS), one behind it (bike pather 26 HT), and one in my bathroom tub (26 HT home build, sentimental).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoingNowhere View Post
    Orange tea kettle is perfect. Go full tilt and get something expensive from le creuset . Bonus points are scored if you buy a matching Kitchen Aid mixer. Nothing tells the ladies that you understand style, value quality, and strive for domestic excellence like a Kitchen Aid mixer on the counter....it can almost erase the fact you live in a 300sqft studio.

since 4/10/2009
    I've done apartment life a few times and had to manage tight quarters. The first time it was a 2br apt, so not THAT small, and the 2nd bedroom was converted to an office/gear room. I built a freestanding wooden rack to hold the bikes vertically (3 bikes at the time).

The other time was right about a year ago. It was a 1br apartment that was a temporary arrangement until my wife and I found a house. We had a laundry room in the apartment, but we used it as a bike room. It was tight, but it worked for our 5 bikes.

We have a 2 car garage now. There's room, but I don't have everything organized the way I want it yet. I bought an electric hoist to get the bikes up to the ceiling (it has high ceilings), but haven't been able to install it yet because I don't have the floor space cleared out enough, and I don't have a ladder tall enough. I think I might pay someone to install it, because I'm pretty sure a big ladder will cost just as much as the install costs.

mtbr member
    I love orange. Really great on a lot of things.... especially on an MTB..... as primary color or accents. Now I'd paint the side of the wall where the the bike is place completely orange. So if any robbers break in, they may not see the bike since it's blended in.... they're pretty dumb for the most part
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I had similar issue a couple years ago and just bought a couple large storage hooks (rubber coated) that are threaded on one end. Couple bucks. Then figure out spacing on your frame and sink one into stud and the other usually will need a wall anchor. I put it right over my bed as high as I could. cheap and out of the way
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010 C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetta2010 View Post
    I had similar issue a couple years ago and just bought a couple large storage hooks (rubber coated) that are threaded on one end. Couple bucks. Then figure out spacing on your frame and sink one into stud and the other usually will need a wall anchor. I put it right over my bed as high as I could. cheap and out of the way
    Over your bed?? Holy cow that's a lot of faith in those hooks and wall.
    AM -> 2018 Meta AM v4.2
    Trail -> 2017 Moto Hal5

Upcyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    Cool heads prevail

@njcshreds
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I've done apartment life a few times and had to manage tight quarters. The first time it was a 2br apt, so not THAT small, and the 2nd bedroom was converted to an office/gear room. I built a freestanding wooden rack to hold the bikes vertically (3 bikes at the time).
    That's my current situation. Our second bedroom is actually used to store bikes, my surfboard, skis, snowboards, etc. And even then I can't keep all my bikes in there and have 2 BMX bikes in our actual bedroom (we have 9 bikes in the unit).

My best apartment living hack for mountain biking is getting a pump sprayer from Home Depot. It was under $20 and it lets me hose off my bike after a ride even though I don't have access to a hose. It keeps my bike happy by staying clean and it keeps my fiancee happy by keeping the floor clean.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

Bikesexual
    Lol! Yeah I'm in SoCal, no thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrFreelancer View Post
    Over your bed?? Holy cow that's a lot of faith in those hooks and wall.
    Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

since 4/10/2009
    My best apartment living hack for mountain biking is getting a pump sprayer from Home Depot. It was under $20 and it lets me hose off my bike after a ride even though I don't have access to a hose. It keeps my bike happy by staying clean and it keeps my fiancee happy by keeping the floor clean.
    That's a pretty useful trick for apartment living. I didn't bother. Last year, I ended up buying some of that plastic puzzle-piece garage/utility flooring to put in the "bike room" so bikes could drip freely (OG flooring was cheap laminate). It worked well. But I also only lived in that apartment for maybe 2 1/2 mo before I bought a house and got out of it. The rental market in this town is f'd up. That tiny apartment cost almost as much as the mortgage on my 3br/3ba house with 2 car garage on half an acre with 360 degree mountain views.

I have to admit, I'm tempted to turn my "crawl space" (a portion of which is underneath my bedroom has a full sized door to the outside and is tall enough to stand up in) into a bike shop. But, it's got a dirt floor and no lights or outlets, so if I do that, it'll have to be a long term project. Doable, for sure, but it'll take time and some money.

@njcshreds
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    That's a pretty useful trick for apartment living. I didn't bother. Last year, I ended up buying some of that plastic puzzle-piece garage/utility flooring to put in the "bike room" so bikes could drip freely (OG flooring was cheap laminate). It worked well. But I also only lived in that apartment for maybe 2 1/2 mo before I bought a house and got out of it. The rental market in this town is f'd up. That tiny apartment cost almost as much as the mortgage on my 3br/3ba house with 2 car garage on half an acre with 360 degree mountain views.
    I've found that spraying my bike at the trail head works best. The bike air dries on the drive home and then I can clean it and lube it. I have a bike box cut up to put under my repair stand for when I do the final cleaning, lubing, etc in the house.

I've got the same plans for when we buy a house. I need to have a basement and we're going to set up a bike shop area and also a table to do tuning work on our skis / boards.

Thanks goodness my fiancee is into this stuff, too.
    Instagram = @njcshreds
    '17 Kona Big Kahuna
    '08 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Cowan
    '05 Kona Stab Supreme
    '06 Kona Lisa HT (hers)

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Itís all about accessorizing.

Storing your bike when space is limited-3e169dbc-c948-4dce-8c34-beb16b3d51ed.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I first tried to hang mine on the wall but discovered that my studs weren't all that solid anymore...

So I found a rack that wedges itself between the floor and the ceiling. Then put a small shelf behind it. The little cubbies hold my various bike tools and gear so they are a bit more hidden. I call it the most expensive art decoration I will ever own.

mtbr member
    I have something like this
    https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Stand...age+rack&psc=1

Over a 2 by 7 foot hallway runner that catches any drips