Too Close To The Hill
    Jun 2007

Storing bikes suspended from an outside deck? Need ideas...

We have several bikes and the place we've moved to doesn't offer good storage options... so I was racking my brain and came up with a weird idea. The place does have a deck that hangs about 12 feet above the ground and is only accessible from the interior. I can't store the bikes on the deck (because carrying DH bikes up narrow stairs and through the living room, dining room, and kitchen every day will never fly). I was thinking, what about using this suspension storage meant for a garage:

Bicycle Lift

Replace the nylon rope with steel cable, build my own pully system if needed. I could lock the bike to the cable, then hoist it (now the bottoms of the wheels are 8ft above the ground) and toss the hoist cable up to the balcony and secure it. I'd then just let the cable down when it was time to use the bike. It would make the bikes impossible to steal without both a ladder and cutters.

I think I need some sort of weatherproof bags to roll the bike into for protection and camouflage... plus maybe a motion detection light/alarm. Might look really tacky...

Thoughts?
    Lacerations through intact armor are a mark of talent... or stupid... or both...

Trouser Malfunction
    Find something other than having the Seattube assume a load. Hang it @ the axles and under the crown of your fork to avoid enabling a stress-riser out of the fixed-load on the seattube.
    I like Sand -- I don't like Witches.

Too Close To The Hill
    Jun 2007
    ^I guess I'm a bit daft... what problem will be created?

I'm also wondering about condensation issues inside of the weather resistant whatever thing I put over the bike...
    Lacerations through intact armor are a mark of talent... or stupid... or both...

Big Mac

Sounds like a ginormous pita. Why not store them IN the house?

Too Close To The Hill
    Jun 2007
    There just isn't a good way to do that... a lot of it is related to lack of space and proper layout... the other problem is with a female who would prefer that we don't have 5 bikes in the living room.

mtbr member

Re: Storing bikes suspended from an outside deck? Need ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by SummitAP View Post
    ... the other problem is with a female who would prefer that we don't have 5 bikes in the living room.
    Get rid of the female that doesn't love you for who u are.......buy at least 3 new bikes with $$$$ you save..

Too Close To The Hill
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by knoob View Post
    Get rid of the female that doesn't love you for who u are.......buy at least 3 new bikes with $$$$ you save..
    2 of the bikes are hers and when I tell her to set her own pace and I'll follow behind, the scenery is great

In all fairness, carrying the two DH bikes up and down narrow stairs and through a living room is a rather large hassle as is cleaning them off and letting them dry enough to bring them into the living room after every ride... and i'd have to probably have a similar pulley/lift storage to a vaulted ceiling anyway.

Trouser Malfunction
    My 2c - the frame's designed to be run, supported and balanced w/ both wheels at rest. Grappling the frame at odd points, even with best of intent, it does stress common areas in uncommon ways.

Go for at the rear axle and under the fork crown if at all.

conjoinicorned
    Geez paranoid much?

There won't be any undue stress created at the seattube, if this solution works for you then do it, it won't hurt the bikes at all...just don't hang em upside down as the oil comes out of the fork

These are bikes, they aren't made of sugar or paper LOL

Having to cover them / potential theft problems are what would scare me away, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008

I see a mess of rusted parts in your future. Hopefully you live somewhere dry and salt free.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

Trouser Malfunction
    Quote Originally Posted by ferday View Post
    Geez paranoid much?

There won't be any undue stress created at the seattube, if this solution works for you then do it, it won't hurt the bikes at all...just don't hang em upside down as the oil comes out of the fork

These are bikes, they aren't made of sugar or paper LOL
    Ask him how much his DH weighs, and remember that most Seats - they are plastic.

mtbr member

Re: Storing bikes suspended from an outside deck? Need ideas...

Quote Originally Posted by Haint View Post
    Ask him how much his DH weighs, and remember that most Seats - they are plastic.
    I'm sure not as much as my 200lb ass does

Trouser Malfunction
    Quote Originally Posted by knoob View Post
    I'm sure not as much as my 200lb ass does
    Of course, - outside the quantum mechanics of pushing upon one right-angle to find equal leverage for each end, a bike is designed to be sat upon and designed to accelerate. Going and taking one point of a structure like this and assigning it the duty to support a remainder of it's mass as a whole - weight is applied to the frame in an unconventional manner - towards the bike's front for a sustained time, perhaps days.

The bike in the picture? Nobody cares about those bikes.

Find me one rider who needs to rely upon their bike at all times with this kind of storage in place. I bet it can't be done.

As for hooking to the seat - be it a two-rail type or an I-Beam saddle they will not take to it kindly.

If this still has to be done - PVC pipe under the chainstays & through the rear wheel to that end of things, and the fork crown at the bottom of the headtube. Outside of that I get a headache.

FKA Malibu412
    5 bikes eh? Nice? I'd never leave my gear visible outside, locked and covered, even. Work it out to keep them inside. You'll thank me.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive