Thread: Storing bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2018

Storing bikes

Hello all, just wondering how people store their bikes on a daily basis? And also for winter storage?
    I was thinking of screwing some j hooks in my ceiling of garage. Is hanging bikes from tire rims safe? Could it damage the rim at all during long winter storage?
    Any tips or devices for storing daily and for winter storage would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beep119 View Post
    Hello all, just wondering how people store their bikes on a daily basis? And also for winter storage?
    I was thinking of screwing some j hooks in my ceiling of garage. Is hanging bikes from tire rims safe? Could it damage the rim at all during long winter storage?
    Any tips or devices for storing daily and for winter storage would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you
    Mine are on j hooks on the wall (sorry no pics). If you walk into a bike shop you'll sometimes notice them hanging down from the ceiling. If rims couldn't take the bike weight handing down from a ceiling then I wouldn't trust that bike out on a trail...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Current Bikes

2018 Santa Cruz Chameleon 27+
    2016 YT Tues AL
    2016 Banshee Rune

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I've got bikes hanging by their wheels no problem. I suggest locking your bikes up in some way, even if they're in your garage. The most common place to have nice bikes stolen is from your house.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I store my bikes with hooks from the ceiling and its never been a problem.

I am Walt

Storing bikes

Since this thread exists...

Any concerns about storing the bikes upside down from hooks in the garage, in terms of the brakes or suspension? Iím not concerned about the rims one bit, but worry about effing up the hydraulics of the brakes or seals on the forks, etc. Not sure if this is an urban legend, or if thereís any truth to it...

Iím in AZ, and the garage gets >120 degrees in the summer, so thereís that, also...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ride more; post less...

mtbr member
    I use floor stands. The Willworx Superstand is my favorite so far.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I think it is better if you can hang them right side up, from the handlebars and seat (unless you have a dropper post).

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by waltaz View Post
    Since this thread exists...

Any concerns about storing the bikes upside down from hooks in the garage, in terms of the brakes or suspension? Iím not concerned about the rims one bit, but worry about effing up the hydraulics of the brakes or seals on the forks, etc. Not sure if this is an urban legend, or if thereís any truth to it...

Iím in AZ, and the garage gets >120 degrees in the summer, so thereís that, also...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    For suspension, it's actually good (at least forks....rear shocks is likely indifferent) because it allows the lube to get to the upper bushings and also wet the foam rings under the wipers.

I've never had a problem with brakes either...although I've heard it can be an issue with some, not sure which ones however, perhaps it was just older brakes? I am just always careful not squeeze the levers when it is inverted. Whether this is a legitimate concern or not, I do not know.

mtbr member
    I have 3 different FS bikes...always stored them on the wheels in unheated garage (New England...CT) with no issues. I ride year round but the older bikes I only use as backup so they don't get much use.

About a year ago I put large 'J' Hooks on wall and mount bike vertical with front wheel in the hook which leaves wheels against the wall to save garage space. I chose large sturdy hooks (Lowe's for $3.50/each) that can hold my big-assed XL framed FS bikes. It's easy to stand bike on back wheel and hook the front wheel on the wall with this setup. The hooks also have a tough rubber coating to prevent scratching rim when mounting bike to wall. No issues so far. Fork seals should benefit from this storage position long term because lube is in contact with seals to prevent them from drying out. I don't think hydraulic brakes are a concern in any storage position assuming your system is tight.
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Name:  worthless27.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  24.1 KB

mtbr member
    I'm all high Tech,,,i lean mine against the wall

mbtr member
    If your brakes behave weirdly after being stored vertically it's because there isn't enough fluid in the MC. I think it's every half-serious mtb'ers responsibility to own a bleed kit, so bleeding the lever is a 2 minute fix and a total non-issue (you're a half-serious rider; you're already using shimano brakes), but a spongy lever can also be an indicator your pads are worn out.

If being stored vertically is causing problems for your fork/shock... they need servicing. How nice to discover that before you go for a ride.

I have a stand made out of 2x4s and j-hooks. 72" wide, holds 5 bikes, cost ~100$.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Mine is off to the side of the 'great room'. Which is now an open concept space.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    As I don't have garage, I store my bike on my balcony, inside a "growing tent", hanged vertically by the front wheel.

Cost me 70Ä and it protects the bike from dirt and moisture.
    Last edited by evildos; 05-02-2018 at 06:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by White7 View Post
    Yes and my other two bikes lean against the first one. In my bedroom.
    Only my trekking bike is stored in the basement.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    If your brakes behave weirdly after being stored vertically it's because there isn't enough fluid in the MC.
    This.

So theoretically if there is any air in the brakes it can migrate to the caliper if you store the bike upside down or in any way with the brake levers below the calipers. If you have a good bleed, there is probably little to no air in the brakes and therefore no problem. However, sometimes things aren't perfect... so if you're not mechanically inclined and don't feel like futzing with brakes, keep your bike right side up, and especially don't squeeze the brake lever unless the bike is right side up.

That said, I've stored bikes vertically with the brake handles facing down for months at a time without any issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I built a PVC rack for our garage -- the big disadvantage to hanging bikes that I don't hear talked about often enough is that is adds more resistance to pulling out a bike for a quick ride.

With a floor-based stand, I can just roll a bike out and go for a quick ride around the block without much thought.

Storing bikes-img_20180422_095518956.jpg

Photos, plus more details on the info on the first photo in the album:
    https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...IwRjVXZkt6cFFB

Also threw together a materials & cost calculator based on the design for anyone who's interested:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...tWR_urjUks943c

because GIANT
    Quote Originally Posted by White7 View Post
    Luxury. I have to keep mine in a cardboard box in the middle of the road.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Bikesexual
    Easy indoor storage, and use it for basic cleaning maintenance.

My dumb and funny Gravel bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Storing bikes-20170717_080658.jpg  

mtbr member
    This is an interesting solution

https://us.thehornit.com/getclug

mtbr member
    Hooks from ceiling, up, down, up, down.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk