mtbr member
    May 2008

Stock Bike - Who still has one?!?!

I have a '08 Spesh RH that only has the handle bars, stem, skewers & wheels as stock & a '12 Spesh SJ that's mostly stock minus peddles, tires & grips.

I'm wondering what upgrades folks have done & not done.

Fat-tired Roadie
    None of mine ever stay stock. But I promised myself when i finished grad school and got a J-O-B again, I'd get a bike that came out of the box as a XC race rig, and did it last year. I've changed the stem, pedals, saddle and tires. And it's on its second chain. For me, that's pretty good. I didn't really expect to keep those parts anyway. But I really wanted all the large-ticket items to be right.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The bike shop.

mbtr member
    My road bike is on its 2nd-3rd rear rim/cassette/granny/chain... does that count?

Mountain bikes are the nicest parts in the parts bin attached to a frame.

I don't lust for new parts for the road bike the way mountain parts draw me. I have a comfy/agile road bike that allows me to have road bike experiences or whatever and so i'm happy. With the mountain bike, the next part is the one that's gonna let me... keep up with that guy... clear that tech section... beat my PR... hit that double... even though i know i'm about as good as my sense of self-preservation and fitness enthusiasm is gonna let me ever be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I changed out the grips, tires, pedals, and seat right away after buying my new bike. To me stock bikes skimp on those areas, no matter how much you spend.

mtbr member
    Haha my ground up build doesn't even have the same parts on it from its first incarnation. Mine and my fiance's road bikes are stock but for the bar tape, if that counts. Otherwise of our 8 bikes not one is stock. Even her new lust carbon has upgraded grips and pedals.

Posted via mobile

mtbr member
    My FSR XC has the original frame, stem, seat post and F.Derailleur. Everything has been upgraded of changed over as they wore out.

Fat-tired Roadie

Re: Stock Bike - Who still has one?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by scottzg View Post
    My road bike is on its 2nd-3rd rear rim/cassette/granny/chain... does that count?

Mountain bikes are the nicest parts in the parts bin attached to a frame.

I don't lust for new parts for the road bike the way mountain parts draw me. I have a comfy/agile road bike that allows me to have road bike experiences or whatever and so i'm happy. With the mountain bike, the next part is the one that's gonna let me... keep up with that guy... clear that tech section... beat my PR... hit that double... even though i know i'm about as good as my sense of self-preservation and fitness enthusiasm is gonna let me ever be.
    My old road bike drifted away from stock very slowly. But it still ended up with a lot of aftermarket in the build, though a lot was just replacing things that wore out. When I finally developed an understanding of how road bikes should fit me, that pretty much killed that bike, and I gave it to my brother. But I think it's easier to keep road bikes stock. Like you say, it's a lot harder to believe that a new xxx will make me suddenly faster or better able to carry speed. And while I'm definitely a sucker for fancy tires on road bikes too, this one shipped with the previous generation of what's become my favorite road tire, so I haven't really upgraded so much as replaced with the current version of the same thing as wear has dictated. I did take it ten-speed a few years after that came out, though. Handlebars I like were a big revelation for that bike.

My current one is a 'cross bike, and I've used it that way. So I've chewed the components pretty fast and I think it's mostly aftermarket at this point, will be even more so when I get the new wheels swapped on. I'm claiming this bike is maintenance only now, but if I do another season of 'cross, I'm sure I'll do another winter revision/repair.

The Original Suspect
    For me the "upgrade" is a good part of the enjoyment I get from cycling. I enjoy the research of new parts, the chase for a good deal and the eventual usage of said new parts.

My 2011 Spech Camber Elite still has original wheels, shock, fork and front derailleur. I will be upgrading wheels this summer and looking into a shock.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Stock Bike - Who still has one?!?!

I'm finding this interesting. I don't own a road bike but I wouldn't have thought the frequencies in upgrades would have been much different than a MTB.

Are road bikes spec'd better stock from the factory, wear & tear is less or...upgrades on a MTB make a substantial difference in "ride-ability" vs a rode bike.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Depends. People who are gearheads buy gear at the rate their addiction dictates. Doesn't matter what it does. One of my teammates got some possibly damaged track wheels on EBay recently. Before that, he hunted down some track-specific cycling shoes, and he already has an aero helmet with a visor (we're both in Cat. 4.) I'm sure once he decides the wheels are okay to ride, gets them repaired, or gives up on them, he'll need something else.

If he gets into MTB, he'll be riding a much better bike than me as fast as his credit cards allow.

Wear on road bikes is much, much slower. Crashing is much, much less frequent. I think people are usually more prepared to spend $1500+ when they buy retail road bikes.

mtbr member
    Frame, Seatpost, Handlebar, Headset. All else has been changed.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Tom View Post
    I'm finding this interesting. I don't own a road bike but I wouldn't have thought the frequencies in upgrades would have been much different than a MTB.

Are road bikes spec'd better stock from the factory, wear & tear is less or...upgrades on a MTB make a substantial difference in "ride-ability" vs a rode bike.
    It's certainly easier with road bikes. When i got mine, i knew it had to be steel, be comfortable in all the hand positions, come with >tiagra components, a triple, sturdy wheels, and feel 'right' moving under me. That narrowed me down to about 3 choices, and i would have been pretty happy with any of them. At the end of the day I'm a mtb'er who rides his road bike for commuting, exercise, and to spend time with dirt-adverse athletic friends and family. Like my frame pump, the road bike is just a good tool.

In contrast, the mtb is an extension of myself, and i go out riding to see what we can do together. I know i make lots of 'stupid' mistakes when we don't communicate with each other. It also sucks to suspect you have the wrong tool for the job, and some parts are just like buying skill. I don't own any parts that came on a stock bike; my last complete bike was purchased in 06.

There's also an incredible diversity in design and technology with mtb's that doesn't exist in road bikes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: Stock Bike - Who still has one?!?!

All that is stock on my 2010 epic is the rear shock/brain, the seat post and shockingly the Avid elixir Cr brakes ( they work really well for me). Even the seat stays aren't stock, got them replaced on warranty as I broke them.

In contrast my 18 month old CAAD 10 road bike is 100% stock. On thinking about it I probably need to check the chain to see if it needs replaced.
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Fat-tired Roadie
    My Avids have worked fine too, though the '10 Elixirs on my older bike need a bleed every time I replace my pads lately.

Going back to the theme of the omnivorousness of gearheads, over on roadbikereview.com, you'd see all the same threads with people making repeated, incremental upgrades to their wheels, buying new shifters, etc. Some of the parts are more integrated, but that just means their 'B' bikes get more new stuff sooner, and they're more inclined to get second wheelsets.

My brother did some backcountry skiing; he talks about guys doing that getting into finding the lightest bindings, replacing all the steel hardware with titanium, etc.

Not that I'm any better, of course - I have an excuse, we always do, but I have some brand new wheels in my study that I'm going to put on my road bike as soon as I get the right spacer, and I'm going to try again to buy some new shoes (turned into a bigger project than anticipated) and a new through-axle once I'm done with things I'm in the middle of. My winter bike could use a new saddle, too...

Token Hillbilly
    The least upgraded MTB I have is a 11 Trek/GF Marlin SS, but I changed the fork, saddle, and pedals immediately, followed by handlebars, headset spacers, grips, brakes, freewheel, chain, BB, crankset, ring and bashguard. Other than that, it's totally stock! ;-)

Essentially I made a GF Rig out of it without the eccentric BB since I've never been a fan of that form of BB.

I occur that my roadie didn't get as much upgrade love when I had it, but I always found its parts to do the job admirably. I'll be getting another roadie in fairly short order that is set up with ultegra from the factory, and I'd wager that not much will change until I break something... And I will. :-)
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

mtbr member
    Maybe I'm a loser, but all 3 bikes that I have are mostly in stock form.

My '11 Enduro is all stock but the tires and grips. Of course, it is an 'upgraded' model, so it already had the fork, shock, and drivetrain components that I wanted. I like the bars, the wheelset seems to work just fine, and the mostly x9/x0 drivetrain does the job. I'm not crazy about the Avid Elixir brakes, especially on lift days, so if I change out anything for functionality purposes, it will be those. But otherwise, I don't plan to change anything unless or until it breaks.

My '04 Jamis Dakar XLT has only had parts replaced when they broke, namely the Avid brakes that blew out their seals. Replaced w/ mechanical BB7s, since that bike was on its way out of being my go-to bike (relegated to backup or loaner duty, mostly). But the XT drivetrain still runs nice and smooth.

My road bike is all stock, too, except for the obvious (saddle, tires). No plans to upgrade that, unless I ever get under 200# and decide to treat myself to a nice wheelset or something. But since I need sturdy wheels under my Clydesdale body, and my road bike is also my commuter, it needs to be both durable and fun to ride. So far, it fits that description.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road