Thread: Stem length

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Stem length

Just got a new 29er HT which is my 1st new bike in about 15yrs. I went with a medium size bike due to me previous exp in freestyle riding I wanted lots of clearence but the bars feel too close so I was considering a longer stem. I have no idea where you measure to work out length so how is this done? For reference my bike is a 2013 Scott Scale 960. I measure the size as 50mm but I am not sure if that is correct.

Also on this subject what are peoples thoughts on carbon parts? Namely I was looking at Stem now then later maybe Bars, Seatpost and maybe Seat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just measured one and it appears to be center to center along the long side of the stem. 29ers have a tendency to have a high bar so that may be part of what you feel. The current trend is to short stems so I think you should give it a try, give it some time. You could flip the stem to lower the bars if the height is bothering you.
    This site is useful for looking at stems:
    Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You also have the option of a setback seatpost. 20mm is common. put your seat back on the rails to see the impact And no this isn't a road bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Seat is already all the way back in on the rails so the setback post sounds like a good solution to get just a little more.

Cheers....

Just Ride
    I'm in the opposite boat. The stem on my bike is to long. I set it next to my old bike and realized I need a stem half as long as the current one. As I feel way to stretched out. Who knows though, maybe by the time I have the money for a new stem I'll be used to it. It's on a SS and when I stand to mash up a hill it all just feels perfect.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Going up hills out of the saddle it feels too short, however I haven't done anything decent DH off road to see how it feels/handles. Basic riding position on the flat stuff seated it just seems short. Seat alone may fix this though. Might just grab a Merekbike carbon setback post and see how it works out.

Dive Bomber
    Put barend or get wider bar might be a solution.

The case might be your frame effective top tube length. Try to ride off the saddle if your knee too close to the head tube it means your frame is too small or too short.

I prefer longer ETT with short stem for better control rather than the opposite.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Seat position should be used to set your position related to the crank and pedals - not to adjust cockpit.

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    What kind of bars are you riding? I have a Niner MCR with an Easton EC70, 1.5 rise and a Pivot 429c with an Enve flat bar, 9d sweep.

On both of these bikes I really like a 50 mm stem. The MCR is a tad on the big side for me, and I tried a bunch of different stem sizes before settling on the 50. The pivot fits me just right. I started on this with a 70 mm, but dropped to the 50 so it was a bit quicker in tight turns. I like the pivot better with the 50 mm, but I do notice the front end is the slightest bit lighting in very steep climbs.

Your best bet is to ride it and see. If you think a longer stem might be better, try it and see. If it feels to long, switch to a shorter stem. For me this is all part of the 3 to 6 month period it takes me to really get a bike dailed.

To a large extent optimal stem size is pretty personal. It depends on your body, bike set up, riding style, etc....