mtbr member

Starfungled Nut or Head lock ?

Hello everyone,

What is the deal is there a real advantage to the head lock design? Its time for me to change my headset so Im thinking maybe try something different. Any opinion will be appreciated.
    My ride style is 40% XC and 60% AM.

Thanks in advance.

Crunchatize me Capn'
    No. The star nut and the head lock just tighten everything down. Once you get this set, clamping the stem tight is what keeps everything together. Once the stem is tightened up you could theoretically take out the star nut or head lock and it wouldn't affect a thing.

I ride a Swarf
    the headlock looks like it should be simpler to install. But it is heavier if you are worried about such things.

The star fangled jobby is in the steerer tube and doesn't need to be replaced when fitting a new headset....only if changing forks does it need replacing.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

mtbr member
    I guess I dont really see the function of the SFN. I read a technote that it is for preload what does that mean exactly? And the head lock is advertised where it holds the headset tighter.

I ride a Swarf
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirthugger
    I guess I dont really see the function of the SFN. I read a technote that it is for preload what does that mean exactly? And the head lock is advertised where it holds the headset tighter.
    preload is the load placed by tightening the cap bolt....it loads the bearings in the headset so that you get the play out. you can over tighten or overtighten, you tighten the cap bolt so that all the play in removed when you rock the bike back and forth with the front brak on, but not so tight you have tight spots when turning the bars with the wheel off the floor.

Once the preload is correct you can finally tighten the stem bolts that clamp the steerer tube. This is what holds everything in place in use.

Edit...SFN can slip in the steerer if over tightened. The headlock won't slip.....but I would rather the SFN slip when over tightening than crush the bearings in the headset.

The main advantage is ease of installation as I see it.

Stu
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?