mtbr member
    May 2013

New question here. Standover clearance for my brand new 29er

This is my first post to the forum. I just bought a 2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 2 in the Small size. When I hopped on it it felt great to ride so I didn't even think to check the standover clearance. During my first ride I realized I have 0" clearance between me and the top tube when standing flat footed over the bike.
    I'm about 5'3" - 5'4" and I assumed that because a a shorter friend (who apparently has longer leg) had had the same bike and size.

I had wished the salesperson had pointed this out.
    My last mtn bike was a '99 Gary Fischer Hookooeekoo 26". When i bought that one, the recommendation was 2-3".

My question is: if it feels great to ride - should I really worry about the clearance? I like riding hilly single track in the woods and am not a racer or daredevil or downhiller. Thanks for for your feedback.
    Last edited by indispenzable; 05-02-2013 at 04:38 PM. Reason: change title

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Mostly it shoudn't matter ,you normally lean the bike over when stopping or the ground is uneven. If you fall it mostly to one side or the other.

mtbr member
    A 29er is gonna be close for someone of your size(I am 5'3", so I have the same issue!) I am actually impressed that you don't mention a toe overlap issue(seems to be common for me and small frames with big wheels, but then I have big feet)
    Honesty, I fall or angle my bike to one side or another when mounting or dismounting. I don't think I have flat footed standing over a TT on a bike since I was a kid! It just doesn't happen normally, even commuting or cargo biking, I one foot it. So no, don't let it drive you crazy unless you just don't feel safe.
    And while the salesperson should have said something about your SO, by the same token, you should have realized this as well on your test ride. SO clearance doesn't bother some people as much as TT reach or BB height. So really, the salesperson shouldn't be expected to go through all the specific geometries other than pointing you to the appropriate size overall. I have ridden 16" bikes that felt awful TT wise but had great SO. And I have also ridden 16" bikes that had the opposite issues.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Toe overlap was a problem if I'm riding out of my clips. The clips keep my toes behind the wheels. I'm most concerned about the times that I very quickly have to clip out and put my foot down to avoid falling. Might not have time to lean and then some contact might be made with TT.

mtbr member
    Most 29" have very little clearance when standing flat footed straddling the frame. How often do you need to do that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Small 29er's aren't going to have much standover clearance because of the tall forks. Don't worry about it, just ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    SO won't matter when you unclip . Try it. Your other foot is on top of a pedal. You will have 2+ inches of clearance when your foot is on the ground. Putting your foot on a pedal is the way you get on too.