Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

SRAM vs. Shimano question

Hey everyone, I'm pretty fammilar with SRAM's products but when it comes to Shimano I'm lost. Could anyone give me a list that's setup like a comparison chart? For example:
    x5-Deore
    XO-XTR
    etc.
    I know that these are two different companies and have different products but if anyone could give me an idea of what I was asking I would really appreciate it... Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There's a list here somewhere,try the search?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Shimano from Lowest (cheapest) to highest:

Deore
    (Deore) SLX
    (Deore) XT
    XTR (Available as a 1X11 or 2X10)

(Shimano Downhill range from cheapest to highest)

Zee
    Saint

Sram from Lowest (cheapest) to highest

X3
    X5
    X7
    X9

X1 (Available as a 1X11 drivetrain, below X0 level)

X0 (Available as a 2X10 drivetrain, or 1X11 Drivetrain)

XX (Available as a 2X10)

XX1 (Available as a 1X11 drivetrain)

As you can see, Sram has a much better product range than Shimano. Also to note, Shimano's 1X11 drivetrain has less of a gearing range (11-40), then Sram's 1X11 (10-42).

Shimano's SLX and XT range offer similar performance, with the XT being a little lighter, and cleaner visually. However, XTR is about twice as expensive as XT, and obviously there is a massive difference in weight and performance. You can't compare the 2 different brands' groupsets apples to apples, but I would say there are about this:

X3, X5 = Deore

X7 = SLX

X9 = XT

X0 = XTR

XX1 = ...? (Shimano doesn't have anything this good yet)

(Downhill groupsets)

Hussefelt = Zee (Zee is better than Hussefelt)

X0 (1X10) = Saint

X01 (1X7) = Saint (X01 is better than Saint)

I prefer Sram, partly because of their many groupsets. However, if you are buying a premium drivetrain, you CAN'T go wrong with a 1x11. Points go to Shimano for reliable, good-value drivetrains. Sram is a little more exensive, but you get the benefit of cutting-edge technology. Some people prefer one over the other, however, most new high-end bikes are being specced with Sram than Shimano.

Hope I helped!

~MAX~

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Last edited by ~MAX-Moab~; 07-11-2014 at 08:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Disagree on "Shimano doesn't have anything this good" (in reference to XX1)... SRAM just has smaller incremental steps for which Shimano does not always have an equivalent.

Live 2 Ride
    MAX you forgot Shimano Tourney, Altus, Alivio, and Acera.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Alias530 View Post
    Disagree on "Shimano doesn't have anything this good" (in reference to XX1)... SRAM just has smaller incremental steps for which Shimano does not always have an equivalent.
    I'm with you. XTR is equal to or better than XX in many respects, especially the brakes. Another important note is that there is very little performance difference between SLX, XT, and XTR other than weight. Every few years or so, XTR gets a new feature that's unavailable at the lower price points until a year or two later, though. Same goes for SRAM and the new features they introduce at the XX level.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Live 2 Ride
    XTR has always been equal to XO. SRAM just has more options above XO that Shimano has no answer to other than XTR Di2.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Asking for rep? Rep not given specifically for that reason.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1879/2500

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Crikey not another SRAM vs Shimano thread-
    Comparing XO to XX is not apples with apples - XX is a minimalist uberlight race drive train, XO more of a mountain drivetrain - XTR Trail and race are the similar top end Shimano offerings. As to which is better personal choice - people are winning races with both. For many applications X0 or XTR Trail would be the better drivetrain.
    Some like the buttery smoothness of shimano others the positiveness of SRAM - I am happy with either to be honest.

Shimano do not have a 1x11 (even the new XTR doesn't really do it) that match the XX1/X01 etc.

Having used both I would say Shimano hydro brakes (XT and XTR) are a lot better in terms of reliability and less fiddly than Elixir plus I much prefer the feel of the levers.

Most of the high end bikes seem to come with an option of SRAM or Shimano these days up to the banker with $10K to drop on a bike what options he wants.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I've owned both in shifters and brakes. For the trails SRAM's product doesn't hold weight against Shimano's. Brakes/Shifters mounted & tuned and have had zero issues.

SRAM, on the other hand needs constant adjustments.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

orthonormal
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    XTR has always been equal to XO. SRAM just has more options above XO that Shimano has no answer to other than XTR Di2.
    That's not true.
    The glass is twice as large as it needs to be

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yes, it's apples and oranges at times. I have the XX1 carbon cranks. Shimano doesn't make carbon cranks, but shimano does and always has made a better BB-crank interface with their hollow forged cranks, which are a much better value in terms of stiffness/strength to price. So which is better? Matter of opinion and experience in many places. I wouldn't put sram/avid brakes on my bike again ever.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    I'll take XT/XTR over ANYTHING SRAM can throw at it for the brakes alone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    I've owned both in shifters and brakes. For the trails SRAM's product doesn't hold weight against Shimano's. Brakes/Shifters mounted & tuned and have had zero issues.

Agreed. Never had to do anything besides replace worn pads once initial setup is done. I have XT and XTR mix for brakes and drivetrain on my trail bike.

mtbr member

Re: SRAM vs. Shimano question

Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    I'll take XT/XTR over ANYTHING SRAM can throw at it for the brakes alone.
    This.

I have. I have a set of rs9 carbon brakes from SRAM and a set of elixir 7s. My xts are in a different universe. The SRAM brakes just don't work.

I leave my bike in the house for more than 3 days and I have to spread my brakes because they have clamped down on the rotor by way of some expansion. My rs9 barely stop my bike without really wrenching on them. My xts could stop my car.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    This.

I have. I have a set of rs9 carbon brakes from SRAM and a set of elixir 7s. My xts are in a different universe. The SRAM brakes just don't work.

I leave my bike in the house for more than 3 days and I have to spread my brakes because they have clamped down on the rotor by way of some expansion. My rs9 barely stop my bike without really wrenching on them. My xts could stop my car.
    Yep, this. Different manufacturers are just bad at some things.

Shimano is great at drivetrain and brakes but is bad at freehubs.

I almost went OTB the first ride on XT brakes after switching from avid

mtbr member
    Sorry Max, good attempt at explanation but can't say I agree with it all.

x3 stuff is more equivalent to alivio/acera
    x5 deore
    x7 slx
    x9 xt

I personally dont like sram shifters because of the double thumb push. Shimano gives you the option of a pull/push.

Shimano brakes is a whole different story, you'll have a hard time finding people who say sram brakes are as good or maybe as reliable is a better wording

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    Sorry Max, good attempt at explanation but can't say I agree with it all.

x3 stuff is more equivalent to alivio/acera
    x5 deore
    x7 slx
    x9 xt

I personally dont like sram shifters because of the double thumb push. Shimano gives you the option of a pull/push.

Shimano brakes is a whole different story, you'll have a hard time finding people who say sram brakes are as good or maybe as reliable is a better wording
    I would agree with you if you are talking about hydraulic disks but mechanical disks avid bb7 is definitely the smoothest, most powerful and most reliable mech disk I have ever used. SRAM wins in the mech disk category.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by ~MAX-Moab~ View Post
    I agree, the lower elixir brakes were rubbish, I had a set of Elixir 1s, and they didn't work when they were new. BUT, the new Elixir 9 trail, and X0 trail are great brakes. Yes, they are a little more finicky to set up (I bled my rear brake 2 times before riding it), but I have put over 1000 miles on my Elixir 9 trail's, and the have felt amazing, never faded, and they have not needed to be bled. Sram's new Guide brakes will hopefully bring the ease of maintenance to their brakes.

People have opinions, but if you haven't tried the latest from both companies (I have), you can't really make a judgement of current brakes, based on your experience with past products.

(Fanboy= someone who likes any product that a manufacturer makes, regardless of how good/bad it is, and refuses to acknowledge if another product is better)

(Fan= someone who appreciates a product, but doesn't defend the company if they make a crappy product, and who also acknowledges if another product is better)
    Yeah I'm gonna bleed both of mine soon hopefully that will help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    This.

I agree, the lower elixir brakes were rubbish, I had a set of Elixir 1s, and they didn't work when they were new. BUT, the new Elixir 9 trail, and X0 trail are great brakes. Yes, they are a little more finicky to set up (I bled my rear brake 2 times before riding it), but I have put over 1000 miles on my Elixir 9 trail's, and the have felt amazing, never faded, and they have not needed to be bled. Sram's new Guide brakes will hopefully bring the ease of maintenance to their brakes.

People have opinions, but if you haven't tried the latest from both companies (I have), you can't really make a judgement of current brakes, based on your experience with past products.

(Fanboy= someone who likes any product that a manufacturer makes, regardless of how good/bad it is, and refuses to acknowledge if another product is better)

(Fan= someone who appreciates a product, but doesn't defend the company if they make a crappy product, and who also acknowledges if another product is better)

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Yeah guys, Avid has made some really good stuff. SD's AND BB7's.

IMHO XT to XTR is a large jump in price for small weight savings and performance gains.
    I dunno even slx brakes are far superior to anything SRAM. I'd take them over my high end SRAM

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Yeah guys, Avid has made some really good stuff. SD's AND BB7's.

IMHO XT to XTR is a large jump in price for small weight savings and performance gains.

Live 2 Ride

So you are saying Shimano's 2:1 actuation ratio is better than SRAM's 1:1 ratio: I think not. SRAM clearly makes a better drivetrain. With every Shimano 9 speed drivetrain I have owned there were issues. SRAM is set it and forget it. SRAM shifts with more authority and shifts clean every time.

I would agree that Shimano makes a better hydro brake, SRAM has the best mech brake.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    I've run tens of thousands of miles on Shimano 3x9, many thousands on 2x9. SRAM shift levers I tried lasted less than half as long as the Deore 'equivalent'.

Everyone has different experiences, I suppose.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast