Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 52
  1. #26
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,872
    I can't speak about how long SRAM triggers last, I don't have enough miles on a set to give a valid opinion. I can say that Gripshift does last just as long as Shimano shifters. You have too admit that SRAM rear derailleurs with the 1:1 ratio shift with more authority and precision.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoNin9r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,609

    Re: SRAM vs. Shimano question

    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    I can't speak about how long SRAM triggers last, I don't have enough miles on a set to give a valid opinion. I can say that Gripshift does last just as long as Shimano shifters. You have too admit that SRAM rear derailleurs with the 1:1 ratio shift with more authority and precision.
    This I agree with. More of a "thunk" feeling

  3. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,768
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoNin9r View Post
    This I agree with. More of a "thunk" feeling
    Thunk as in "it feels like its gonna break" lol

    I've demo'd several X01 and XX1 bikes and even the top tier feels so crunchy and nasty compared to Shimano. Could be bad adjustment but I don't see a bike shop doing a bad job setting up a $6k+ bike they're trying to sell.

    Everyone has their preference though, not saying SRAM is crap, just not my choice.

  4. #29
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,872
    Also SRAM's RD do not pivot at the mounting point. Therefore they aren't as flimsy as Shimano offerings with the exception of Shadow RD.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  5. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Joules's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,312
    Quote Originally Posted by spazzy View Post
    I would agree with you if you are talking about hydraulic disks but mechanical disks avid bb7 is definitely the smoothest, most powerful and most reliable mech disk I have ever used. SRAM wins in the mech disk category.

    yeah, if it was 2003 and there were still people talking about mechanical disc brakes, that point would be valid. So in the 'below entry level' category, sram brakes are tops...
    I'd still take Deore hydros over anything Sram has ever made.

  6. #31
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,872
    Name a hydro brake that retails for as much or lower than the BB7 then your point will be valid.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  7. #32
    Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    715
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Also SRAM's RD do not pivot at the mounting point. Therefore they aren't as flimsy as Shimano offerings with the exception of Shadow RD.
    The shadow RD still has the pivot and b-angle adjustment, it's just moved off of the mounting bolt.

    How many Shimano RD's you broken the knuckle on? I have 2000 era XT that looks like it went through a wood chipper... still shifts four gears in a split second--but only when it's properly set up.

    If you want to talk about how this tech is better than that, I'll certainly smile and nod, but it's rather unlikely to change what I'm riding.

  8. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    23

    SRAM vs. Shimano question

    Quote Originally Posted by 7daysaweek View Post
    I'll take XT/XTR over ANYTHING SRAM can throw at it for the brakes alone.
    Spot on with the brakes..

    Run sram drive on my stumpy but replaced the avid brakes recently with XT and they are worlds apart. Decent sram drive chain (x7 and above) is perfectly fine IMO. X9 even better if well looked after.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #34
    derp
    Reputation: danielsilva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by In-Yo-Grill View Post
    I've owned both in shifters and brakes. For the trails SRAM's product doesn't hold weight against Shimano's. Brakes/Shifters mounted & tuned and have had zero issues.

    SRAM, on the other hand needs constant adjustments.
    Hmmm how about ... no ?

    Have 3 bikes, all with SRAM shifters, never had to re-tune anything in any of the bikes and i really REALLY mistreat them, they function as good as they did when i mounted them when new, i only had to substitute one frayed cable and that was my fault.

    Derailleurs/Shifters ? SRAM hands down, have one XO and 2 X9 derailleurs/triggers, 1 SLX shifter.
    Cassetes ? Either one, i have SLX on 2 and XT on one, chosen purely because i found deals on them.
    Cranks and BB ? Either one is fine, i have 3 SLX cranks but will change one of them to SRAM X0, SRAM BB's are absolute crap though ....
    Chains ? neither, KMC is better.
    Brakes ? Lol neither, hands down Magura. Although Shimano brakes are a LOT better than Avid's.

    That said, Shimano still doesn't have a solid alternative to SRAM's XX1.
    2006 Cannondale Rush 650b
    2010 Cannondale Trail SL 650b
    2013 Norco Range Killer-B

  10. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 8iking VIIking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    834

    Re: SRAM vs. Shimano question

    Brakes-shimano, hands down
    derailleur-sram x9
    shifter-sram x9
    cranks/bb-shimano, hands down
    Cassette-shimano xt
    chain-kmc

    Love this setup

  11. #36
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Also SRAM's RD do not pivot at the mounting point. Therefore they aren't as flimsy as Shimano offerings with the exception of Shadow RD.
    Yeah, but shimano made stuff like this:
    SRAM vs. Shimano question-rr_026.jpg

    Shimano's R&D and product development is simply on a totally different (higher) scale than SRAM. SRAM has had a few good ideas, but they also ran for a while on their acquisition of Sachs, who did all the "legwork" for many of the products that SRAM got known for, as well as a few problems that SRAM wasn't able to fix for a while due to inability to design and test their own stuff. SRAM finally has a little more ability to design and make stuff that isn't trash, but they struggle to offer as wide a product range as Shimano does, with groups and parts specific for specific kinds of bikes and riding. Again, SRAM has come a long way, but they've traditionally done it with acquisitions, like Avid, etc, rather than coming out with more SRAM product lines.

    That derailleur above was a godsend for aggressive riding. It would literally smash THROUGH rocks and was super stout, since it mounted to the thru-axle. Not every product Shimano makes is a home run of course, but you can usually rest assured that they've designed and tested it to high enough standards that it will do what it was designed to do. That was the strongest derailleur I've ever used, but that was years ago when Shimano understood there were different genres of riding that needed different products.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  12. #37
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,872
    Not every product Shimano makes is a home run of course
    Dual Control anyone?

    You would have to agree that SRAM X5 beats anything Shimano of the same level.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  13. #38
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    19,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Dual Control anyone?

    You would have to agree that SRAM X5 beats anything Shimano of the same level.
    Funny you mention that, I used DC, it worked well, it wasn't for everyone, but it worked. With "rapid rise" it was a pretty good combo, but again, rocked the boat a little too much.

    X5? IDK, I have an X5 shifter. It's ok, I have an X7 too. Funny thing is that the X9 T2 derailleur just doesn't like to shift a close-ratio cassette, despite being a mid-cage. It does ok on a 36t, but on a 30t it really doesn't know what to do and the sifts are far from "crisp". Running the X5 shifter and "standard" rear derailleur outperformed my X9 for quite a while, causing me to rip out the cables and replace everything on the X9 setup a few times, only when I discovered it just doesn't like to shift the close-ratio cassette did my problems go away. The X7/9 combo requires a little more thumb effort, but at least it works decently now, except for the time last season where the internals on the X7 failed. Supposedly it's happened a few times and due to it being a new bike, the shop hooked me up, still, I've never had shimano shifters completely crap out (no resistance, shift paws became completely disconnected). Now I'm running the X5 with an X9 derailleur and again, a close-ratio cassette. It doesn't shift all that well, but hey, it's SRAM.

    Deore/SLX would be about the same level as X5. Deore/SLX works good.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,571
    I have and use both Shimano and SRAM drive trains. They both work great
    and I don't have problems with them. However Avid brakes have never treated
    me good and sooner or later they give me problems. I use Magura brakes on
    most of my bikes and like them more than anything else.

  15. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    856
    Shimano vs SRAM.....
    29er vs 26er..............
    Fox vs CNN................
    Obama vs Bush...........
    Creationism vs Evolution.....
    God vs Allah....................
    This topic should be subject to the same forum rules as Politics and Religion.....

    (Shimano brakes are better though)

  16. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoNin9r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,609
    Dude forums are literally invented for that stuff.

  17. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Name a hydro brake that retails for as much or lower than the BB7 then your point will be valid.
    m395 69.00 w/rotors 57.00 no rotors
    m446 93.99 with rotors
    m596 125 with 111 without
    bb7 85.00 no cables

    I don't think the price argument holds up on these.

  18. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: hankscorpio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    758
    I spent 10 more dollars on my new deores (m615 I think) with the slx rotors than I could have had bb7s for

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk

  19. #44
    Live 2 Ride
    Reputation: Kona0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    5,872
    I don't think the price argument holds up on these.
    Don't know where you are getting your prices from. Check Pricepoint. BB7 starting at just $46.98.
    My Bike: '96 Gary Fisher Aquila
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

  20. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Kona0197 View Post
    Don't know where you are getting your prices from. Check Pricepoint. BB7 starting at just $46.98.
    Your price is for one with no levers or cable, that would make the price for a pair 118 with levers and cable. The prices I listed were for pairs from amazon.

  21. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KevinGT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    840

    SRAM vs. Shimano question

    My experience is that Shimano has vastly superior shifting and braking performance at the mid- and High end level.

    If SRAM is superior outside of those areas, I wouldn't know...nor would it really matter.
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

  22. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,470
    I've been running SRAM since the very beginning, SRAM ESP. I have really got to like it ever since, you just set it up and go, never have to adjust my derailluers, btw, I run XX and XX1.
    The brakes are another issue all together. At first I ran the Avid XX World Cups, went through a couple of sets, even had a bad crash because I lost my rear brake unexpectantly in some tight, fast single track. After the last brake failure, I was pissed, SRAM sent me a set of XO Trails and have been happy since, these brakes are so powerful, so much in fact, I went from a 160mm rear rotor to a 140mm rotor.
    Still, my favorite brakes are Hope's, for the reason that you don't need special tools to bleed the brakes or cut hosing, etc, just like how they work, very consistent.

    I think you can't go wrong with either Shimano or SRAM, the reason I like SRAM better is because Shimano has this "planned obselesense" where it seems every few years, parts from the newer groups won't work with the newer stuff, especially on the road segment, but I run Campy on the road anyway.

  23. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoNin9r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,609
    Also... mineral oil

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Nubster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,106
    What's better...Chevy or Ford?

    Trek or Cannondale?

    Glock or S&W?

    Point is...who gives a sh!t. Each has their fans who will say there preference is better than the other, no matter what. I'm no different. I'm SRAM all the way, Shimano can go to hell...except for the brakes. I really like my XT brakes. But shifters and derailluers...meh. In fact, I got a brand new bike spec'ed out XT. Pulled all that stuff off and replaced with X9 pretty much day one. Why? because I like SRAM better. That's all it comes down to. We can nitpick all day long why we feel one is better than the other...in the end you need to just choose one based on whatever criteria you want and go with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

  25. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,571
    ^ Chevy
    Trek
    Sig

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Shimano XT crank requires Shimano Chain? SRAM rear compatibility
    By LookerBob in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-07-2013, 02:05 PM
  2. Sram/ Shimano compatability question
    By hkmeup in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-18-2012, 01:14 AM
  3. 10spd drivetrain question. Mix of Shimano and SRAM components
    By ThePunisher in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-07-2012, 07:15 AM
  4. SRAM Twist XO with 2x10 Shimano or SRAM front derailleur
    By epiphreddy in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-21-2011, 08:52 AM
  5. Sram and Shimano Compatibility question
    By emiliobuckmaster in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2011, 07:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •