mtbr member

SRAM twist grip[ setup questions

I'm interested in trying SRAM's X7, X9, or X0 8spd or 9spd setup. In general, I prefer 8spd, but I use Shimano 9spd stuff now and am less than satisfied.

Right now, I'm having some issues with my 9spd chain not wanting to disengage from the chainring. This happens when I'm not shifting. I've read that SRAM's rear der. have stronger springs that might eliminate this issue. Is that true?

I've also read that SRAM's jockey pulleys pretty much suck. I know that they are not the same as Shimanos, so what would I need to consider when switching them out for higher quality aftermarket ones?

I noticed that the latest SRAM shifters come with full matching grips, but the older ones (X0 9spd and lower/older) don't. I like clamp-on grips, bar ends, I have big hands and wide bars with about 2-2.5 inches of rise. What are my best options for grip setup? Can anybody post some pics?

I use Avid SD7 levers and like braking with my index and middle fingers. Would I still be able to do that with SRAM grip shifters?

Any help and pics you can post would be helpful. I'm not sold on twist grips yet, but I'm interested.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    i've never had any issues with gripshift i love the stuff, been rockin it since 1991 on all bikes except my SS as long as you use SRAM with SRAM, you should have no problems. after a bit it becomes intuitive to use, as for pulleys never had an issue and i'm not the most maintenance oriented guy

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I use oury lock on grips with mine by cutting off one section with a hack saw. They still hold fine with one lock ring and don't slip at all.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Been rocking my old X0 twisters for about 2-3 years and the X9 rear derailleur since 2006. Been in grip shift for s very long time. I cut down an Ergon grip because the grip shift grips are to long for me and it works fine. Never had any issues with the pulley wheels and I'm very anal about things working right. I mean they aren't ball bearing pulleys but what do you expect?

I'm a big advocate for sram but it sounds like things are are not adjusted properly on your shimano setup. Even a Wal-Mart bike will shift properly if adjusted right, it just won't be as smooth.

I have worried about the new twisters. They look less user friendly. Hope that's not going to be the end design.

Ride Instigator
    I've been using X9 and X0 twist grip for years and that's the only setup I'm interested in. I use ODI Rogue (twist grip length of course) lock on grips and Avid Ultimate levers and have no problem reaching with middle and index fingers.

I've never had any complaints about my X9 rear derailleurs jockey pulleys. I pull them off every so often and clean up the inner bearings and they work fine. When the teeth on the pulleys get worn, the pivots of the derailleur are usually worn and sloppy so it's time to replace the rear derailleur anyway.

I'm not sure what you're saying when you say the chain not wanting to disengage from the "chainring", are you talking chainring or rear (rear) cog? If it's front, it could be the height adjustment of your front derailleur, if it's rear it could be the B tension adjustment of your rear derailleur and it could also be an issue with your chain length, sort of hard to tell with only a description of the problem in text.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollution Warrior View Post
    Right now, I'm having some issues with my 9spd chain not wanting to disengage from the chainring. This happens when I'm not shifting. I've read that SRAM's rear der. have stronger springs that might eliminate this issue. Is that true?

I've also read that SRAM's jockey pulleys pretty much suck.
    When you are NOT shifting? Need more info. Sounds like chainsuck - worn chain, chainring, lubrication. Do a search - lots of threads here on it.
    Only complaint I've heard about the SRAM pulleys is the replacement price.

Quote Originally Posted by jfw432 View Post
    I mean they aren't ball bearing pulleys but what do you expect?
    Actually, they are. Broke one on my X7 rear derailleur. I assume that's why they are so expensive. The 2010 and up pulley is ball bearing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    I'm not sure what you're saying when you say the chain not wanting to disengage from the "chainring", are you talking chainring or rear (rear) cog? If it's front, it could be the height adjustment of your front derailleur, if it's rear it could be the B tension adjustment of your rear derailleur and it could also be an issue with your chain length, sort of hard to tell with only a description of the problem in text.
    This is a very weird problem. The chain (HG73 9 spd) seems to get stuck on the front chainring sometimes. Here's the worst case: I went on a ride with a clean chain and everything adjusted nicely. The B tension is adjusted for the best shifting with a 36T. Rear der. is a Deore Shadow and has had the tension spring moved to the other hole for higher tension. After a fair amount of dust I was climbing a steep hill. I was using 36 or 32T on the back and 22 on the front and my chain kept wrapping around the 22T ring. I kept getting off to wipe it but it never helped. My wife's bike was being ridden by a friend. Out of desperation I pulled the cranks on both bikes and switched the 22T rings there on the side of the trail. Her bike has an 8 spd. That was probably 8 months ago and her bike has yet to have any issues with that same 22T ring that gave me so much trouble. The 22T ring from her bike that went on mine worked much better and now the chain suck is just occasional and usually minor. I found that the chain I was using that day did have some issues even though it was pretty new so I replaced it with another HG73 with which I still have occasional issues. The cassette is new.My chain rings all look fine, but I intend to replace them anyway. The two 22T rings I swapped looked identical in terms of wear. Neither appeared to have any problem. This has me pretty bummed out about 9spd. Seems logical that a wider chain would be more tolerant of dirt and whatever.

As for my shifting, I have a new Alivio set of shifters with nice full-length housings and they work fine. They have a better feel than the worn out Deore set I took off, but I'm still looking at ways to go to a nice 8spd setup. While researching that I ran across rave reviews on SRAM twist shifters, hence all my questions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I think I see your problem now. You're using the absolute bottom of the barrel components. You seem like you know what you're doing so do yourself a favor and stick with XT or better for Shimano or X9 and better for SRAM. Once you get serious and make the switch you'll wonder what ever possessed you to use the Alivio crap for so long. Most online bike stores have 1-2 year old components that just never sold and Amazon may have good used stuff. Buy that stuff for and I can assure you that your problem will go away.

Heck even Deore and LX/SLX stuff feels clunky and sluggish and shifting under heavy power is almost impossible. With a lot of tuning, I can make it work but that stuff just isn't on the same playing field.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfw432 View Post
    I think I see your problem now. You're using the absolute bottom of the barrel components.
    Bottom of the barrel? Deore? XTR it is not, but it ain't Walmart Sunrace crap either. How exactly will a shifter or der. (regardless of brand) cause chain suck when not shifting anyway? BTW, the crank is Deore XT and the rings are either Deore LX or XT and appear to be fine. If you're talking about my chain being a POS, I would possibly agree. My last HG73 lasted about 10 rides before it stretched very noticeably when compared to a new one. I'd love a better chain if anyone has any suggestions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    No need to get defensive. I meant nothing of it. I just assumed Deore was your highest grade of component with Alivio and below being more common. You're right, a shifter will not cause chain suck. However, I thought your original issue was the chain would get stuck on the ring and not shift out of it....not chain suck. Those are two different issues.

It's not just dirt that causes chain suck although that certainly accelerates it. The biggest issue is the chain and chainring aren't mating properly. Worst situations for chainsuck are the chain is worn with a new chainring or the chainring is worn with a newer chain. If you have a new chain and a new chainring, the odds of chainsuck happening are extremely low. The tension on the rear derailleur isn't enough to pull the chain off of the granny gear. There is just too much load on those teeth because the ring is so small. A new chainring is like $10-$15 and it might be worth looking at your other rings to see if they are worn too.

Chains, chainrings, and cassettes can wear together and be undetectable when stretch happens. When you replace one of these components though, bad things start happening. I've destroyed a $50 chain in one ride because my middle chainring was so worn. Do a search on worn chainrings if you're unsure but I bet that has a lot to do with it.

mtbr member
    Is there any advantage to using the X0 twist shifters as opposed to the X9? What's the difference between the two?

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollution Warrior View Post
    Is there any advantage to using the X0 twist shifters as opposed to the X9? What's the difference between the two?
    I had a set of X9s for years and ran across a good price on X0 so I grabbed a set. The only difference is a gram or two of weight savings and the twist grip rubber is shaped a little differently, I like it a little more then the X9 actually. The overall operation/performance is pretty much the same.

mtbr member
    Anybody running grip-shift with a dropper post? I am interested seeing how and where people are placing the lever..
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Anybody running grip-shift with a dropper post? I am interested seeing how and where people are placing the lever..
    I run an old Joplin remote under the left side (it's right there by your thumb that way)