(aka SS_MB-7)

New question here. SRAM shifters: X.0 twist vs X-9 trigger

Since I'm going to be racing in the TransRockies this summer, I'm jumping back into the "geared" world after riding 100% singlespeed for nearly 4-yrs. As a result, I'm looking to replace my older 8-spd drivetrain with 9-spd SRAM: either X.0 shifters or X-9 trigger shifters; X.0 rear derailleur (med cage) and 11-32 Powerglide 990 cassette. Front derailleur will be XTR and crankset will be FSA Carbon Pro (46/34/24).

My older drivetrain was: SRAM Rocket 8-spd shifters, XTR front/rear derailleurs and XTR cogs.

Prior to the Rockets, I used XTR shifters for several years, and was pretty happy with them. Then, I decided to try the SRAM Rockets instead. The main reason was because I wanted to fine-tune the front derailleur position on the front rings. Also, having used older generation GripShifts, I was pretty happy with them, especially being able to grab a handful of shifter and shift multiple gears at once.

The only real negative I had with the Rockets was that the stock grip wore quickly and was not aggressive enough to provide sufficient grip when things got wet. During one particular muddy race, I could barely shift because I couldn't grab the shifter. The new X.0 shifter seems to have a more aggressive pattern on the shifter which should help in this area.

I was all set to buy the X.0 twisters, but then started considering the X-9 triggers instead. So, does anyone have any direct comparisons between the two? Also, can the X-9 front trigger be used to fine-tune the front derailleur, similar to the X.0 twister?
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

a little ot...

Mike, this is a bit off topic, but have you just considered keeping the 8 speed set up. I've been running 8 speed for a few years and my sense from listening to people on this board and my buddies experience with his 9 speed that it is more reliable - which is pretty important in an endurance event like the transrockies. If you want the lower gear I've heard that you can get 8 speed cog sets with a 32 low gear on it.

Anyhow, just my .02

Are you talking to me?

Does this help?

I do not have any real world testing under my belt, but from what I have read, here it goes. The action (feel) of the X9 triggers is similar to XTR, with the change in trigger pull direction. The weight is close. The front X9 trigger is not chainline adjustable like the twisters. I agree that the best part of the twisters is the chainline adjustment, but do not like the mis-shifts from the rear twister. So I currently run a 9.0SL front twister, (better chainline adj.) paired with an XT rear shifter pod. Best of bolth worlds, provided you have big hands. Some people trying this setup have problems setting up the brake levers to their satisfaction, but this was not a problem for me. Good luck with the race.

Team Blindspot

X-O and X-9 shifters

If you wanted to stay with XTR R. Der., X-0 shifter grips will fit the Rocket shifters. That's what I did. I and since gone to X-9 triggers/X-0 r. Der. and love them. Much more positive shifts, less adjustments between rides (as in non-existent). You can't trim the F.Der with the triggers, they work similar to XTR up front, you are just using your thunb for everthing, which I like coming off of rockets because I was used to having my index finger available for braking.
    You'll like the SRAM setup with either grips or triggers.

Good Luck
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Blindspot

X-9 Trigger Vs. XTR 8 spd

Quote Originally Posted by dirttorpedo
    Mike, this is a bit off topic, but have you just considered keeping the 8 speed set up. I've been running 8 speed for a few years and my sense from listening to people on this board and my buddies experience with his 9 speed that it is more reliable - which is pretty important in an endurance event like the transrockies. If you want the lower gear I've heard that you can get 8 speed cog sets with a 32 low gear on it.

Anyhow, just my .02

FWIW, I've found the SRAM X-9 trigger and X-0 R. Der. to be similar in reliability to my XTR 8 spd set up.

mtbr member
    having ran XTR pods, 03 XTR shifter/levers, XO twist and X9 triggers my bike is setup with the x9 triggers/xo rear der and I have no plans to change
    I can't say it works any better than the XO twist, they both work flawlessly and consistently. I think the XO rear der. is a work of art

I don't think you can go wrong either way, just personal preference on the action of the shifter. I can say that I have had numerous guys ride my bike and shortly thereafter get the X9 trigger/XO rear der for theirs.... and more and more new bike builds are being speced with the SRAM setup. It with a set of Martas are a few ounces lighter than the XTR shifter/lever disc setup

I for one am really glad that there is competition to Shimano, not because I am anti Shimano by any means, I run XTR cranks, front der, cassette and chain, but because it's good for us to have viable options and it makes them all work harder to make better stuff...

Charles
    hammerhead

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirttorpedo
    Mike, this is a bit off topic, but have you just considered keeping the 8 speed set up.
    Yep. Unfortunately, my rear cogset, chain rings and derailleur need replacing, so I need to replace some stuff anyway. I'm not keen on 9-spd since I seldom had issues with 8-spd. But, I'm hoping that SRAM 9-spd is better than Shimano 9-spd.
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

You can still find deals on 8 speed stuff...cassettes...etc.

Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    Yep. Unfortunately, my rear cogset, chain rings and derailleur need replacing, so I need to replace some stuff anyway. I'm not keen on 9-spd since I seldom had issues with 8-spd. But, I'm hoping that SRAM 9-spd is better than Shimano 9-spd.
    You might want to just buy a new XT 8 speed cassette. If I recall, it is cheaper at Performance, for example, than the 9 speed one is.

mtbr member
    dude stick with the Rockets (maybe get a new set). XT cassette are still easy to get, despite what you may hear. The 8 speed will take the abuse in the transrockies. In my experience, 9 speed system are more finicky and prone to troubles. Good luck bro!
    People don't think it be like it is, but it do - Oscar Gamble

Team Blindspot
    [QUOTE= In my experience, 9 speed system are more finicky and prone to troubles. Good luck bro![/QUOTE]

Not the X=9 triggers and X-0 R. Der. I rarely have to fine tune them. The shifting has a much more positive feel than Shimano Triggers.

Hairshirt Rider

How 'bout 8 speed X.0 or X.9 twist shifters

I haven't actually called SRAM to get the scoop, but their '04 Technical Manual indicates there is an 8 speed version of both the X.9 and X.0 twisters (ESP rear derailleur compatible).

I've seen the X.9 8 speed pair listed on QBPs online catalog pt# LD4844. Again, haven't confirmed they exist, but might be worth checking in to if you aren't sold on 9 speed.

mtbr member
    they do offer 9 speed shimano compatible shifters
    http://shop.hammerheadbikes.com/site...&Category=2398

the ESP (SRAM rear der.) shifters are a lot smoother though...