YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004

SRAM Grip w/ ODI grips?

I just bought some ODI Oury grips and I love them. However I am getting ready to build a new bike and I was planning on using grip shift. I am tired of the chain rubbing the front der. so I want to be able to microadjust the front der. I actually prefer the shimano (or sram trigger) shifters, but I can't stand the rubbing. Anyway, is Yeti the only company that has the shorter grips to work with the SRAM grip shifters? I read where one person cut off a little bit on the inside of their Oury ODI grips and just used the outside collar.

Neg reppers r my biatches

no, there are indeed other options..

Quote Originally Posted by lemmy999
    I just bought some ODI Oury grips and I love them. However I am getting ready to build a new bike and I was planning on using grip shift. I am tired of the chain rubbing the front der. so I want to be able to microadjust the front der. I actually prefer the shimano (or sram trigger) shifters, but I can't stand the rubbing. Anyway, is Yeti the only company that has the shorter grips to work with the SRAM grip shifters? I read where one person cut off a little bit on the inside of their Oury ODI grips and just used the outside collar.
    I have run twist-shifter-specific ODI lock-on Rogue grips which I really liked (see pic)
    Attached Images Attached Images

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FoShizzle
    I have run twist-shifter-specific ODI lock-on Rogue grips which I really liked (see pic)
    Ok, I guess it is just the Oury grip that doesn't come in a shorter twist specific version. Thanks. I guess I will have to use the Yeti, Ruffian, or Rogue.

Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
    Ok, I guess it is just the Oury grip that doesn't come in a shorter twist specific version. Thanks. I guess I will have to use the Yeti, Ruffian, or Rogue.
    The Rogues are thick like the Ourys, and the Ruffians are very thin. I run the Rogues with twist shifters like FoShizzle.

Kathy :^)
    Look where you want to go. This is as true in life as it is in mtbiking.

(aka SS_MB-7)
    Nearly identical set-up, but I use Ruffians ODIs with my SRAM X.0s and Marta SLs on a FSA bar. Amazing grips!
    Ride Hard,
    Mike B. (MCM# 7.77)
    http://www.one-speed.com

Driven by watts inside
    Quote Originally Posted by 1speed_Mike
    Nearly identical set-up, but I use Ruffians ODIs with my SRAM X.0s and Marta SLs on a FSA bar. Amazing grips!
    Heheh. That looks familiar, too! I'm using the gripshift version of the Yeti ODI's with X.0 and Marta SL's on an Easton EC90. I've been using the Yeti ODI's for years now. They only last about a season as they're a super tacky compound, but they're soft and stick to your gloves very well.

- Jeremy -

The Duuude, man...
    However I am getting ready to build a new bike and I was planning on using grip shift. I am tired of the chain rubbing the front der. so I want to be able to microadjust the front der. I actually prefer the shimano (or sram trigger) shifters, but I can't stand the rubbing.
    You could run a grip shift front shifter, and a rear trigger shifter...that's how we did it back in the day...
    FS: Everything

mtbr member
    I have cut two sets of Oury grips for use with SRAM shorty grip shifters. It holds fine with only one clamp. I don't notice a difference between the cut down single clamp on my geared bikes, and the 2 clamp on my SS. My $.02

Dave in KC

Mythical Creature
    If you have the room on the bars - run the regular sized lock-ons, not the lil' stumpy ones! That's what I'm doing... FWIW, Marta's, X0's and EC90 bars.
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

YRTRNRSHVY
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by glenzx
    If you have the room on the bars - run the regular sized lock-ons, not the lil' stumpy ones! That's what I'm doing... FWIW, Marta's, X0's and EC90 bars.
    If your hands are on the grip (instead of the shifter area) aren't your brake levers a little too far inboard?

Mythical Creature
    If your hands are on the grip (instead of the shifter area) aren't your brake levers a little too far inboard?
    Too far inboard - how? The shifter determines the relationship between brake lever and hand so that distance stays the same..... see picture above, becomes simple. EVERYTHING is a bit more inboard - but all in the same distances from each other. I like having a full grip to grab when climbing techy hard steep stuff!
    follow me on Twitter!
    "It's better to regret something you HAVE done, than something you haven't..." -

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    i'm running rear grip twisties on two bikes, with oury/odi lock ons on one. thumbshifter for the fronts, so using full size on that side. did the same with a pair of yeti lock on grips.

grab a handy dremel tool if you have one, and cut the grip down, and cut your own tabs for the lock on collars. been working fine for me. give a bit more security knowing you still have both ends locked down.

cut to the length you need to leave the tabs on, then trim away the excess carefully until you have the homemade tabs in the rigth spot/the right size.

a not so hot pic showing the right side. basically cut off one "square" width of the oury to get it this short, then cut away enough material to leave tabs for the collars to grab.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scrublover; 05-17-2005 at 11:20 PM.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Check Oury's web site

They have the short grip shift style grips.

Riding dirt since 1970

I've run the shorty Rouges w my Shorty Rocket Shifters

for about five years now. They are soft, but worth it. I usually get about 2K out of a set. Just make sure you use antiseize on the littlle clamp screws or they will freeze from the sweat. Get the correct length. If you cut down longer grips and use only one clamp, the grip will rotate a little and grind on the bar. You can rotate the wear points for longer life
    Med. Nomad C for sale