Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Are sram chains junk?

I've never bought a sram chain before, but i did this season. And it has broken 4 times, in links I've used a chain tool on, and links I haven't. It's getting really annoying so I bought another kmc. What a waste of money. Anyone else experience this ridiculousness?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    nope been running sram only for a few years

last chain I broke was a shimano xtr

ouch....
    Yes, they are junk.
    I've broken a few of them, standard links and the quick power links... Refuse to use them now.

Kmc ago the way, cheaper to boot!
    Riding.....

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Are sram chains junk?

Quote Originally Posted by ou2mame View Post
    I've never bought a sram chain before, but i did this season. And it has broken 4 times, in links I've used a chain tool on, and links I haven't. It's getting really annoying so I bought another kmc. What a waste of money. Anyone else experience this ridiculousness?

No, not junk. Have used SRAM (Sachs, Sedis) chains for 20+ years. No more issues than any other brand.

Are you using the connector links to join the chain? Should never reconnect any current 8/9/10-sp chain by pushing the pin back in (reusing) with a chain tool.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Front Range, Colorado
    Never ran a SRAM but I have ran XTR without issue. On a whim I switched to a KMC and it wore out much faster than the XTR. So I switched back to the XTR and have had zero issues and great longevity.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^^^^Rock Garden

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So to sum it up...

Are SRAM chains junk? No, but XTRs are.
    Are SRAM chains junk? Yes, Run KMC
    Are KMC chains junk? Yes, run XTR

That should make your decision much easier.

mtbr member
    I can say that KMC chains are better. They last longer than SRAM or equivalently priced Shimano chains. I've never snapped a chain but I do check the wear regularly.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    No, not junk. Have used SRAM (Sachs, Sedis) chains for 20+ years. No more issues than any other brand.

Are you using the connector links to join the chain? Should never reconnect any current 8/9/10-sp chain by pushing the pin back in (reusing) with a chain tool.

Agree, my experience as well. +1
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I've had to reconnect the chain because it broke 4 times now. And it keeps breaking in different links not just the ones I have reconnected. I've never had a chain fall apart like this. I have reconnected a chain with a chain tool and never had an issue again previously. I understand them breaking from cross chaining and chain suck, but this one had broken from just normal riding, it literally falls apart.

Lol I thought I was treating myself by buying a more expensive chain..

mtbr member

Expensive =/= durable in regards to chains. I've never had a good experience with blingy chains so I'm back to kmc x10's

mtbr member
    I have been using sram chains on my xc and all mountain bikes for about 5 years now, and I have never had any problems. With that said I do thoroughly clean and lube my chains after every ten rides or as needed, and replace them once the chain stretch tool says they are stretched out to far. I am not saying that you don't but, I would assume from my experience with chains that no matter what brand of chain you are using if you take care if your chain with proper maintenance and repairs it will work just fine.
    "Ideal bikes are not bought, they evolve beneath you"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I clean and oil it much more than I should it's not stretched out.. It broke the first time like 3 rides in, this isn't some old chain that I didn't take care of. From new and forward it's been junk I've never seen anything like it. I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this

mtbr member

Are sram chains junk?

My buddy snapped a brand-new SRAM chain on the VT50 last year, 4 times! First one was on the asphalt wall at the beginning of the race. He finished the race with a smile on his face ( and filthy hands). I would have lost my mind.

Elitest thrill junkie
    A long time ago shimano chains sucked and Sachs chains sucked a lot less. Then Sachs was bought by SRAM and the same chains stayed around for many years.

Later, shimano started making all their chains with mushroomed pin-ends, which makes it much harder for a link to slide off the pin, in fact, I haven't had this kind of failure with their chains after starting to use these generation chains (after initially being turned off by the above). This was something like 1999 or so and started with XTR/Dura Ace. Since then, the basic design has trickled down to all of shimano's chains used commonly for mtb.

SRAM finally came up with something equivalent a few years back, called the "cross-step", the problem was that they charged a lot more for this design and it didn't trickle down to all of their models. I don't believe they've changed this.

Both are now pushing hollow-pin designs at the upper levels, but if you are at all concerned with durability and want a SRAM chain, I'd recommend making sure to get the cross-step, otherwise, any shimano MTB chain.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

I haven't had any issues with anybody's chains in particular. I've broken the odd chain here and there. I've spliced some back together and used them for a little while longer, but sometimes something happens to a chain that just compromises it too much to keep reusing it. Hobble back home and replace it ASAP. Doesn't matter what brand.

I haven't broken a chain in years. now just watch, I will probably break one on my next ride.

mtbr member
    I have been running sram chains for a decade plus, with the exception of a weird anomaly with the links freezing up once, I have never had any issues like that. Sounds like a fluke bad batch to me.
    To appreciate the flowers you must also walk among s**t to know the difference

Ride Instigator
    I've been using SRAM chains for as long as I can remember and have no complaints. The only time I had an issue is when pressing a pin in with a chain tool and it pulled apart at that spot. I use the powerlink supplied and have had no breakage problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Maybe I got a bad chain from them that's entirely possible. It has broken so many times, now that I think about it, it has to be more than 4. Anyways I already ordered the kmc I usually use. They're 10 bucks on ebay, and I've never had a problem with them.

dwt
    mtbr member

Me too. Run PC 1051 chain, also use and endorse X0 type 2 mech, X0 10 speed rear trigger shifter, X9 crank with powerspline mount, GXP bb. I run 1X10, no front shifter or mech

PS I run the chain with KMC missing link; no issues
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

I've had to reconnect the chain because it broke 4 times now. And it keeps breaking in different links not just the ones I have reconnected. I've never had a chain fall apart like this. I have reconnected a chain with a chain tool and never had an issue again previously. I understand them breaking from cross chaining and chain suck, but this one had broken from just normal riding, it literally falls apart.

Will bet you are running it too short on a suspension bike. When the suspension compresses, the chain pops
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Are sram chains junk?

Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Yes, they are junk.
    I've broken a few of them, standard links and the quick power links... Refuse to use them now.

Kmc ago the way, cheaper to boot!
    I agree. Last year I had issues with two SRAM chains, switched to KMC and haven't had a failure. It's a 'Ford/Chevy' argument really, all personal preference.
    Please donate to IMBA or your local chapter. It's trail karma.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    It's an fs, but the chain is the correct length. I don't have a 3rd ring anymore bit when I did i made it a link bigger, and I've fully compressed the bike without the shock in my middle and 1st gear and there's room for the chain to bend. I can't imagine that breaking the chain before the derailleur anyways, but that's not the issue here. The chain is literally falling apart. I was riding once and started skipping gears and a plate completely fell off a link.

Ride Instigator
    Will bet you are running it too short on a suspension bike. When the suspension compresses, the chain pops
    The one time I installed too short a chain on a FS bike I didn't break the chain...I mangled the rear derailleur and hanger. The worst part was the derailleur was brand new!

Ride Instigator
    It's an fs, but the chain is the correct length. I don't have a 3rd ring anymore bit when I did i made it a link bigger, and I've fully compressed the bike without the shock in my middle and 1st gear and there's room for the chain to bend. I can't imagine that breaking the chain before the derailleur anyways, but that's not the issue here. The chain is literally falling apart. I was riding once and started skipping gears and a plate completely fell off a link.

Well I have to say...If I had those sorts of problems with an SRAM chain, I'd be looking elsewhere too.

re member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    The worst part was the derailleur was brand new!
    Ouch!
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast