Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Reviewer/Tester

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! "Squirt" Chain Lube.

Test Setup: 1 Shimano Dura-Ace chain, degreased and cleaned thoroughly, then warm air dried.
    Shimano XTR front derailleur and XRAM X9 rear derailleur. Shimano 11-34 rear cassette and Shimano 22/32 front chainrings...2x9 setup.
    Ibis Mojo Bicycle.

Initial Impressions: The Squirt lube comes in a 120ml plastic bottle with applicator nozzle. The lube is white in colour, and is a wax-based lube mixed with water. The lube is thin enough to easily apply to the inside run of a chain, but not so thin that it splatters and flies off too readily as you apply it.

The initial application took around 5 minutes to dry out, then I added another coating as directed onto the chain which took about ten minutes to dry in my workshop. As it dries out, it slowly disappears, or turns clear.
    As the lube was applied, I changed gears to make sure the lube was spread evenly across the whole of the rear cassette, then let it sit and dry out.

Most waxed base lubes that I have tested in the past worked fine, but always left a buildup of blackened wax around the jockey wheels, cassette and chainrings after a few applications and miles as they gather dust and grit from the trails. What i'm looking for in this Squirt is a cleaner waxed base lube that doesn't build up and doesn't gather dust and grit easily.

Initial Ride Impressions: The chain certainly is quiet, the application of "Squirt" on the cleaned chain seems to work fine. The chain shifts easily and cleanly through the gears, both front and rear. At the end of a 10 mile ride over dusty trails, the chain is still clean looking with a light layer of dust on the side links and plates, but none on the rollers.

I will be testing this lube over the next few weeks, riding almost every day, sometimes three times a day...

"Squirt" Lube kindly supplied for testing by: Over the Edge Sports. Australia.

Rainman.
    Last edited by Rainman; 12-05-2008 at 01:23 PM.
    It is inevitable ...

Reviewer/Tester
    Part 2:

Several rides, and the "Squirt" lube is still going well, and doing a nice job of keeping the chain quiet and smooth. No appreciable buildup of dirt on the chain as yet, it does show some slight wax buildup though around the edges of the chainwheels and derailleur jockey wheels.
    Rain is due tonight and tomorrow, so some wet weather testing will be done.

More to follow.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

Reviewer/Tester

Squirt Lube..

Part 3 :

Ran the lube through some light rain, which didn't affect the product at all, so I rode the bike through a creek to get the chain seriously wet..then rode the trails for a couple of hours.
    This lube seems to be the "good stuff" so far. Very little build-up on the jockey wheels, and the chain appears clean and dirt-free. The wax content is very high compared to other wax-based lubes, and you can feel this when you handle the chain. The shifting is smooth and the chain is still quiet. Yesterday I rode 10 miles overall on sealed roads to the trail and back. I examined the chain links and the rollers have a nice shine and are clean, the outer plates have a light coat of dust...but still appear clean.
    So then, good results so far.

There is more rain forecast soon, so I hope to be able to test the Squirt lube under actual wet riding conditions ... but so far, I am happy with the results.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

Gnar
    Thanks for your review of Squirt Lube. I am interested in trying it too.

Have you been reapplying the lube or are you still going off your initial double application?

I am interested in how it does in the wet and muddy.

Reviewer/Tester
    I am still running on the initial application of lube to see how it stands up over some hard miles of varying conditions.

I can't see the point of using a lube that you have to re-apply every ride or two, unless the conditions are really extraordinarily bad.

So far the results with "Squirt" are good, but I want to test this lube in the rain and mud if the weather will co-operate with me...

Rain is forecast for Sunday, so maybe then...

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Reviewer/Tester

4 Days..Squirt.

Here are some pics of the drivetrain components after 4 days of varied use, mostly in dry conditions.
    There is some buildup of wax mixed with dust / dirt evident on both the chainring and chain. However, the chain appears mainly clean, still runs silently and shifts smoothly.
    It appears that the Squirt doesn't gather or attract too much dirt to itself...
    Overall, the chain is clean looking and bright.
    I'm still awaiting some decent rain to test the wet properties of the lube.

Rainman.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It is inevitable ...

Reviewer/Tester
    The drivetrain is not touched or cleaned, not wiped down or changed in any way from the original application of Squirt Lube.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    So how many total hrs of riding? Where are you located too?

thanks.

O.
    If I'm not climbing, I'm not riding.

banned
    Forgive me if I missed it, but what are your trail conditions? Can you post shots of what type of conditions you have and how it ranges? I was testing a lube that was good, but didn't work well out here due to dirt buildup I was told I wouldn't have, and I needed to post my trail conditions.

Still can't stop using Ice Wax.

Reviewer/Tester
    So far, around 16 total, maybe 20 hours.

I'm in AU, and trail conditions are dry and dusty right now, it's our summer here.

R.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarc
    So how many total hrs of riding? Where are you located too?

thanks.

O.
    It is inevitable ...

Reviewer/Tester
    Trail conditions are typical Australian, it's summer here, dry and hot right now. Dusty ... mostly hard pack with some leaf covering on the trails. A few sandy sections, but only short ones. Mostly just hard packed dirt with a top layer of dust.

My usual "go to" lube is Pro Gold Pro Link which I have found to work very well for me. I was on Rock 'N Roll lube before the PG, but the R&R had too much wax buildup...so I switched to PG and have been using that for a couple of years now with success.

I'm hoping the Squirt will work out at least as good as the R&R, if not better...

R.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Forgive me if I missed it, but what are your trail conditions? Can you post shots of what type of conditions you have and how it ranges? I was testing a lube that was good, but didn't work well out here due to dirt buildup I was told I wouldn't have, and I needed to post my trail conditions.

Still can't stop using Ice Wax.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    I've been using Squirt exclusively since early 2005 when we discovered it South Africa. Found a dealer who would ship it by the case to the US. Can't beat it for dry conditions and it holds up well unless it is really wet. I love that it is easy to apply and re-apply when needed. I usually re-apply every 12-15 hours riding.

Reviewer/Tester
    Amazing...I never knew that Squirt had been available that long, I had not heard about this product until just recently.

Could you please give me more information on your experiences with this lube, as you have been using it such a long time...

How is the wax buildup on the chain wheels, chain, and jockey wheels when using Squirt very regularly @ 12-15 hour ride intervals? Have you experienced any downside to this product? Is the wear rate on your drive train higher or lower?

Thanks,

Rainman.

Quote Originally Posted by kmoodymz3
    I've been using Squirt exclusively since early 2005 when we discovered it South Africa. Found a dealer who would ship it by the case to the US. Can't beat it for dry conditions and it holds up well unless it is really wet. I love that it is easy to apply and re-apply when needed. I usually re-apply every 12-15 hours riding.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Sure. I have occasionally get build-up on jockey wheels and on the cassette between smallest cogs but a good cleaning with soapy water takes care of it quickly. It is important to dry the chain well before putting more lube on if you don't it doesn't seem to last as long.

Another way to clean that works great is to heat the chain with a torch before running it through a rag held in my hand. This melts the wax and any buildup, is quick, and neat.

As for wear, I really don't know because I switched to Squirt not long after I started riding seriously. That said my last drive train, full XTR, probably went between 1,500 and 2,000 miles. Current one is up to at least 1,500 and is in fine shape. Note if I get into sloppy wet stuff I always clean everything right away and that probably helps too. I can't afford to run throug XTR drive trains too quickly!

Reviewer/Tester
    Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Reviewer/Tester

Wet...

I finally got to run the Squirt lubed chain in the rain this afternoon. It poured down fairly solidly for a couple of hours and the trails got nicely soaked so that the covering of dust turned into slop.
    Slop over hardpack made for a decent run and testing of the lube which came through these sloppy conditions very well. At the end of an hour of riding through puddles and purposely aiming for the muddiest sections, the chain remained fairly clean in appearance. ..not so the rider and bike..

I'm still impressed, so far. The gears were shifting smoothly and the chain showed no signs of getting covered in mud, it remained surprisingly bright looking. There was no sign of mud on the actual rollers, and no buildup of mud on the outside plates, just a slight coating of wet sloppy crud thrown up from the rear wheel, which brushed off pretty well when the chain dried out . . .
    There was a lot of sloppy trail soil on the rear of the bike, underneath the down tube, and on the chain stays from the rear wheel throw-off, but the chain itself was mostly unaffected.
    I heard some gritty sounds after coasting on a downhill run from slop being thrown up by the rear knobs onto the chain, but it cleared in a couple of revolutions of the pedals back to a silent and smooth state.

The Squirt lube certainly seems to be working very well so far. No real problems so i'm happy with the product.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    I will have to give it a try. The one thing I hate about White lightning is the build up. It is very hard to get clean. Are there any online retailers that have this stuff?

Reviewer/Tester
    Try this...

http://www.squirtlube.com/

R.

Quote Originally Posted by sandmangts
    I will have to give it a try. The one thing I hate about White lightning is the build up. It is very hard to get clean. Are there any online retailers that have this stuff?
    It is inevitable ...

Reviewer/Tester

First re-application..

Here are some pics of the first re-application of Squirt lube after yesterdays wet ride.
    The pics were taken 15 minutes after the 2nd application of lube.
    As you can see, there is some wax/dirt buildup on the chainwheel and derailleur jockey wheels, but the chain itself looks pretty clean.
    All I did was brushed most of the dried trail crud off the frame and re-applied the Squirt. I never touched the chain, or any part of the drive train or cleaned it.
    The chain was still running smoothly after it's wet weather run, but I re-applied the lube today because the chain rollers were looking a bit dry.

Rainman.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It is inevitable ...

Reviewer/Tester

Rain...

Lots of rain and the trails are soaked...

The Squirt lube is coping well so far under the wet conditions here.

I'll post up some pics after today's rides.

R.
    It is inevitable ...

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! Squirt Chain Lube.

The rain came and went, and the Squirt lube handled it all with aplomb. This lube seems to be the real deal. The chain on my Ibis is running smoothly and looks clean, it shifts quietly and easily with no hangups.
    The wax doesn't seem to be building up too badly around the chainwheels or the jockey wheels on the derailleur, either.
    Overall, i'm very pleased with this lube.
    It's clean, it lubricates well, keeps the crud off the chain and works even better once you build up a covering on the whole chain. The Squirt forms a waxy barrier over the links and repels dirt and mud well.
    A small bottle lasts a long time, it is easy to apply and the lube does do exactly what the manufacturers say it does.
    It's an impressive performance from quite a simple wax lube.

I'll continue to test over the next couple of weeks up until Christmas.
    I've been very happy so far with Squirt lube. If it continues to perform in the same way then I may have found my new chain lube....

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

bike junkie
    Mar 2004

Great reveiw...

Quote Originally Posted by kmoodymz3
    Follows my experience. I got a bottle and put it on one of my cyclocross bikes this season. I didn't love it when it was mucky. It seemed to build up some nice 'wax booger' pasty dirt stuff around the pulleys and usual areas. It's been a while since I stopped using White Lightening though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I ordered some and have been very please so far. I have only used it on about 7 rides so far though, and it has gotten very wet around he just now.

mtbr member
    Found a few reviews here.

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/accessories/...81_131crx.aspx

I just wonder how this wax lube becomes on a hot summer day. It must just melt away and dissapear into thin air.

I ususlly ride in dry weather and have been using Finish Line cross country. It makes a mess, but it's always there on the chain.

Squirt seems to be working well for you Rainman, but looking at your pics, the chain looks like it is being starved of lube. Maybe that's what wax lube looks like, but for my it looks dry.

I will look into this more, but I think a wet lube is better for me since I have no experiance with dry lubes.

Reviewer/Tester

Good job! Squirt..

My chain looks clean because of the Squirt lube. I haven't cleaned it since the initial application, and have only applied a second lot of Squirt after a wet riding session I had a couple of days ago.
    It's summertime here in Oz, and quite hot on some days. The heat of the days doesn't seem to affect the lube at all. The chain would have to become VERY warm to have any effect and riding in the high summer heat isn't enough to do that.
    The chain isn't being "starved of lube" it just looks like that because the squirt becomes almost invisible once it dries out, which takes around 10-15 minutes after applying.
    I was using ProGold lube for a couple of years, which is a wet lube. This Squirt lube seems to be easily as good so far, maybe even better...time will tell.
    So far, I am very pleased with the performance of the Squirt lube. I had my doubts at first, but those doubts are being blown away by the performance of Squirt. Try some for yourself like I am. It really works well.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast