Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Reviewer/Tester

Good job! Squirt.

Some of my other bikes have SRAM chains and my results have been the same as with Shimano equipped bikes. The Squirt lube works equally well on both chains.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Some of my other bikes have SRAM chains and my results have been the same as with Shimano equipped bikes. The Squirt lube works equally well on both chains.

Rainman.
    Well after 2 weeks of use Squirt works just as good on Sram as it does on Shimano sets of drivetrains which I though it would but at least now I have personal experience on both systems. This stuff really stacks up and thanks Rainman for doing a great review and images for all to see it's going to take something special to come onto the market to make me change.

bog
    mtbr member

I haven't had good luck with Squirt

Well, I've been trying out some Squirt lube since getting some from the Squirt booth at the Sea Otter and have not had great results so far. It's been quite dry up here in the Vancouver area so I haven't needed a wet lube. Here are my observations:

1/ It keeps the chain clean seems to do an OK job of lubricating the chain but not a great job. Without doing some real testing I can't say whether this is better or worse than having wet lube with grit suspended in it.
    2/ You need to re-apply it very often or else your drivetrain will have nothing on it. Carry some with you on longer rides because you'll need it.
    3/ The chain runs a bit too noisy for my ears when compared to wet lubes. I'm thinking of going back to another lube because the noise is just a little too much to bear (GF Superfly, XTR 970 cranks, XT 770 cogs, KMC SL chain). Noise means friction and there's no doubt about this. If anyone tells you differently then they don't know about the mechanics of rolling and sliding friction.

I may run it for a few more weeks but I don't think I can bear the noise anymore. Any suggestions of a good dry conditions lube that is a bit more wet?

mtbr member
    I've been using Squirt on my road bike chain. It's OK, but it doesn't keep the chain as clean as I would have expected. I cleaned/degreased the chain pretty good beforehand. I may switch back to ProLink.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I use ProLink on my road bike and Squirt on the dirt. The ProLink attracted too much dust for me on the mountain bike and I'd rather clean less than more. On the other hand, squirt just seems a little less slick than ProLink so I do PL on the road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
    There is no problem in using a new chain that has been thoroughly degreased straight out of the box.
    It isn't hard to remove every trace of factory grease from a new chain.
    Thanks for your efforts in testing Squirt. I have a 5,000 km outback tour coming up in NT & WA so mainly dry conditions and I am considering using Squirt. My intention had been to start with a new chain (now on the bike) but leave the manufacturer's lube on and then apply Squirt as needed. I will not be a position to degrease once I am on the ride.

I get the impression that you are suggesting removing the manufacturer's lube and started with Squirt from the go. Is that right or would I be okay with applying Squirt down the track so to speak.

Also are you still using Squirt or have you come up with something even better?

Thanks
    Andrew

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I like Squirt but too many rain rides made my chain links rust and get very sticky. In winter I use petrolium based lube sometimes now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Aushiker View Post
    Thanks for your efforts in testing Squirt. I have a 5,000 km outback tour coming up in NT & WA so mainly dry conditions and I am considering using Squirt. My intention had been to start with a new chain (now on the bike) but leave the manufacturer's lube on and then apply Squirt as needed. I will not be a position to degrease once I am on the ride.

I get the impression that you are suggesting removing the manufacturer's lube and started with Squirt from the go. Is that right or would I be okay with applying Squirt down the track so to speak.

Also are you still using Squirt or have you come up with something even better?

Thanks
    Andrew
    I'd thoroughly de-grease myself. i like Squirt but it doesn't like really wet gritty conditions

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Very good info! Nice work Rainman

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Great information, Rainman! Thanks for the in depth review!!

I've only been on one ride since using Squirt...but I'm a believer!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    My question is, does Rainman still use Squirt Lube? That would be a testimony to how much someone likes the stuff since this post started in 2008.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    I've got 110 miles of mostly dry conditions on my initial application of squirt on a clean (but not new) chain, and the chain is still running quiet and smooth.

Since my bike is getting pretty dirty, I'll probably clean and reapply after another 15 miles on Thursday. Usually I have to reapply lube every 30-40 miles and this is a nice change.

I'm a believer.

It is expensive, but it just lasts and lasts in dry conditions.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5